Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: observations after a 10 year absence

[QUOTE=
    I have just learned to overlook the rude people and appreciate the kind ones! Plus be thankful that I am not the one so miserable.[/QUOTE]

Well said Mandy I totally agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Things change, life changes and we accept it and move on.
    Aruba 10 years ago is synonymous for Aruba is no longer the way anyone once knew.
    Let's be realistic. Is someone going to come in and knock down all of the new malls in Palm Beach and allow the lots go back to greenery and bushes?

There have been a couple of comments here on the forum in the past few days which have me wondering....

When I drive by McDonald's there are more Arubans there than "Americans". If "Americanization" is due to the wants and needs of tourists from the U.S., then why the fast food places all around the island other than just Oranjestad and Palm Beach?

The "high end" stores in Oranjestad are being patronized by someone. If not U.S. citizens, then who? Cruise passengers from Europe and elsewhere? South Americans and Europeans, whether by land or sea?

Before we dwell on rudeness and ugliness, and other issues such as growth, which are not under "our" control , but the Aruban's, let's instead focus upon some of the good things Aruba STILL has to offer...
    • Beautiful beaches
    • Fine cuisine
    • Perfect weather
    • and
    • Picturesque spots, if you know where to look for them.
    ArubaLisa,
    Awwwwww, now you make me feel quilty for making commentsi about the proposed Ritz Carlton Hotel....you are absolutely correct in stating we should focus on the things that make us want to go back rather than the things we can not control......I have a little "whiner" in me and sometimes I just can not control myself....
    Having said that, I was surprised when I had a bagboy be rude to us for no reason, especially since I apologized for asking him to move so I could go around him....but I guess everyone has a right to have a bad day and if I lived on an island where tourists blew through on a daily basis I do not know if I would have the patience to be nice 24/7...
    As you said....BEAUTIFUL BEACHES, WARM WATER, COOL BREEZES AND RUM !!!! well, the rum was my idea....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Sorry to have offended anyone. There are "ugly" people of all nationalities. And I didn't mean "ugly" literally. We will run into rude people wherever we may travel. Andrea, one of the things we loved about the island is the calm, slow pace. You are right when you said we need to slow down and have patience. I'm trying to teach that to my children.

I did mention the great meals, the wonderful beach, great scenery and wonderful tomatoes (and I don't like tomatoes, anyone know what kind they are?). I simply wanted to give a view from someone who sees big changes, some good, some bad, which happen everywhere and depend on different opinions. I personally like change, just sometimes it's a shock. People who return every year may not see the changes as "big" like someone who can get to the island infrequently. Just like someone who sees our children once every year or two thinks they REALLY GREW, but the parents who see them everyday say, "really'?

Lastly, Andrea, where do I get one of those grande cafe mocha vodka valium latte decaf? Thanks

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for a great post
    and re: the grand cafe mocha latte valium vodka decaf.......i make them in my kitchen :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Sorry to have offended anyone. There are "ugly" people of all nationalities. And I didn't mean "ugly" literally. We will run into rude people wherever we may travel. Andrea, one of the things we loved about the island is the calm, slow pace. You are right when you said we need to slow down and have patience. I'm trying to teach that to my children.

I did mention the great meals, the wonderful beach, great scenery and wonderful tomatoes (and I don't like tomatoes, anyone know what kind they are?). I simply wanted to give a view from someone who sees big changes, some good, some bad, which happen everywhere and depend on different opinions. I personally like change, just sometimes it's a shock. People who return every year may not see the changes as "big" like someone who can get to the island infrequently. Just like someone who sees our children once every year or two thinks they REALLY GREW, but the parents who see them everyday say, "really'?

Lastly, Andrea, where do I get one of those grande cafe mocha vodka valium latte decaf? Thanks

I find it sad that you refer to "ugly americans" in your comments. There are some "ugly people" every where you go. Aruba is such a wonderful place! We had our first trip three years ago and will most likely return every year. The people we have met there from various parts of the US and forgein countries are so nice and a pleasure to hang out with at happy hours. We have even joined people we have met for dinners during our vacation. I am sorry that you did not find it welcoming. Try going to Paris (I've been there twice).....you may think twice about calling anyone "rude americans"
    Next Aruba trip in

Right on Lisa

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by cukiecutr View Post
    Try going to Paris (I've been there twice).....you may think twice about calling anyone "rude americans"

We've also been to Paris (going again this summer) and have encountered only lovely Parisians there - always helpful, always friendly. So your experiences are completely different than ours. We cannot wait to return this summer and will be renting an apartment this year so that we can be more of a Parisian and less of a tourist - the locals there are wonderful.

Rudeness is everywhere (unfortunately) but, thank goodness, there are great people everywhere, too. Let's ignore the rude people and embrace the ones with good hearts and a smile.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12