Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Occidental negative review

I also did not hear you mention anything about the empty cups being blown all around the beach and pool area. The hotel does have a map of the resort to tell you where things are located bc I asked for one the second day. They also should have told us about the free floats, snorkle gear and kakas, don't you think????

Aruba since 1979
    i respectfully request that we accept each others opinions and be respectful

thanks

Exactly. Its my opinion of what my experience was staying at the Occidental.

Aruba since 1979
    Have respect for other opinions. If you disagree with someone, do not attack them personally. Try to make thoughtful comments about their opinion, perspective, assumptions, etc., but do not attack them personally. Everyone has an opinion based on a number of different factors, like their own personal experiences, values, etc. If someone disagrees with you, it is probably because they value one thing more than another. Attacking them does nothing but create anger and resentment. Discussing the values and perspective that underlies their opinions may increase your understanding and it may encourage them to see your perspective as well. Personal attacks are the tools of someone who probably doesn’t have a very good point to make, or of someone who holds a belief that has no foundation in reasoned thought.

QUOTE=mgenestra;208743]I also did not hear you mention anything about the empty cups being blown all around the beach and pool area. The hotel does have a map of the resort to tell you where things are located bc I asked for one the second day. They also should have told us about the free floats, snorkle gear and kakas, don't you think????[/QUOTE]

no offense taken, my position is based on my personal experience and friendship with the hotel staff. as far as cup's, it's pretty sad that guest's on the beach and the pool, wait for one of 3 workers on the beach to pickup their garbage, keep in mind 2 of the 3 are over 50 years old, not easy for anyone to keep up with that, i know i can't do that job in that heat. as far as the activities gear, if you rented a unit thru a member they should have explained what you have access to.
    i'm sorry that your stay was not what you expected, because it really is a great resort.

Aruba since 1979
    arubalisa has a nice photo of the occidental's pool on her gallery.

it does not look particularly crowded.

lisa was in aruba mid-late june 2011.

and i am beginning to get into my "early morning routine" for aruba.
    we stay at lacabana and it is first come, first served on the beach for lounges and shade huts.
    i will get up at 5:30 a, haul my sorry bum to the beach and get a spot NOT in the front row...........front row is gone by 5 am.
    i will sit there until 8, slowly sipping my coffee and then relieved by my dear husband.

it is not allowed to drop one's stuff and hit the road.
    one is allowed to hit the road after 8 am for 2 hrs maximum.

OR
    if we forgo the ocean, i do the same at the pool, except i do not get there til 7am.

big dilemma is we both have 8 am dentist appointments NEXT friday.
    will my son or daughter in law, take over for us?
    i doubt it

lots of folks have to get to the pool/beach early to get the spot they want.
    i have been doing it for years.
    it is something i accepted a long time ago

Observations

The Occidental pool area is way to small for the amount of people they had last week.
    About 3:30 pm late June

Occidental at about 1:30 pm late J

I don't think you should have to get up early to reserves seats, at least not at 6:30 am in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by dogwriter View Post
    The "towel game" is played everywhere there is a beach. Walt
    This is probably one of the most often heard complaints at many many resorts.

It is very unfortunate that this has been a long running issue all along Palm beach with the exception of the Radisson and I was told that the Holiday Inn has recently begun the same 4 pm reservation process as the Radisson.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Actually getting up early to get a hut in the High rises is fun, I have met many very interesting and fun people while waiting in line
    Unfortunate that getting up early is not everyone's idea of fun on vacation.

And last thursday I waited an hour and a half for bath towels to be delievered to my room.
    Inexcusable

They also should have told us about the free floats, snorkle gear and kakas, don't you think????
    One would think that it was only common courtesy.

From experience though I can say that the Tamarijn is also the same. You do not know what is available until you ask. Just know that it is not just the Occidental.

Upon check-in at the Tamarijn you are given a map of the resort. The towel hut has the floats and noodles right there, so I guess you would call that an easy discovery.

Trash, cigarette butts... cups, glasses...it saddens me greatly that folks cannot pick up after themselves.

The only defense being people visiting Aruba for the first time are often unaware of how strong the wind is and takes everything not tied down- airborne.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-04-2011 at 12:46 PM.

that pool looks crowded to me only because I am used to going in September when I feel I have the island to myself.
    In our week that we stayed at the Radisson---I never saw anyone in the pool.

I love the 4pm reservation for a palapa- No way can I get up at the crack of dawn to go sit on a beach for 2 hours..

I see plenty of chairs maybe just not under a palapa and I guess for us that is ok.

(i got Johnny's name) I have the information regarding renting a chair next door at the Radisson.

I know about the free floats, snorkle stuff, free catamaran tours.

Its my vacation and my responsibility to make sure I am well equipped with the goings on. (especially when I read such stuff-makes me look even harder for information.)

I have learned many years ago TIP THE RIGHT PEOPLE and you will have a hut every day.

Quote Originally Posted by dogwriter View Post
    When we first arrived, I asked our waiter at the Beach Grille, if there was a way to reserve a hut in advance for the week. He told us about Johnny, the Beach Guy. We looked him up and from then on, we never had to worry. We had the same hut every day with towels attached and waiting for us.
    The "towel game" is played everywhere there is a beach. You have to dig a little to find the way to play or you can just get angry and let it put a wrinkle in your vacation.
    At the Royal in Playa, we deal with Alexis, the Beach Butler. At the Ocean Maya, we would drop towels on our way to breakfast. At the Divi, one of us gets up early to claim our space. At Breezes Curacao, we had an oceanfront walkout, so we just walked down and set our stuff.
    We never let the game bother us and we never abuse the system by not using our space but leaving our towels.
    It is all what you make of it.
    Walt
    Thanks for the tip! I will have to look up "Johnny the beach guy" and see what he can do for us. We will be there in September .........

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast