Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Occidental negative review

Aruba since 1979
    short answer ........no.
    although you could try, but you would be setting yourself up for either really annoyed or really gracious folks.

people should really learn to share nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    was curious to know if we could use chairs/palapas that were reserved with peoples stuff-- could we sit there until they came back??

was curious to know if we could use chairs/palapas that were reserved with peoples stuff-- could we sit there until they came back??
    I wouldn't mind in the least sharing our reserved palapa if someone asked when they saw us leaving, but I think it would be a little rude to knowingly use the chairs with our towels and our belongings without asking. But that's just me, and I'm sure others would feel differently ranging from not caring to irate. Especially given that at some resorts, people have either gotten up very early to reserve a spot to paying in advance, as well as giving a nice tip to the beach attendant for setting up the chairs.

From our experience, it's rare that we've found someone sitting in the chairs and palapa that we've reserved, in that it's happened only twice in all the times we've been to Aruba. We do follow palapa etiquette and rules. We're rarely away from our chairs for more than an hour, and always under the posted rule of two hours, for a swim, walk, or snack. If we leave early or if we're going to be gone longer, which is very unusual (we usually stay for the day, we love it so much), we let the towel attendant know so that they can let someone else use the space.

Once, a family was unaware that palapas were reserved, but our things were there, and they even sat on our towels in their wet suits. We explained the reservation process to them and told them who they should talk to, and we were very nice about it. We did exchange our towels for dry ones.

Another time, coincidentally, two teenage boys from our son's high school had randomly used two chairs from under our palapa when we had gone to lunch. Being young, they had no idea that they shouldn't just take towels off chairs and use them, and we didn't say anything because they were the chairs my son and his friend were using anyway. Were we all surprised when my son and his friend arrived a few minutes after us to find that the two boys were high school friends. It turned out great, because the boys hung out together the rest of the vacation. In hindsight, we probably should have so they would know to ask an attendant for chairs.

(I'm sorry, I just realized that this was posted under the Occidental thread. I'll leave my post, but it might be different for this resort than the ones we've stayed.)
    Last edited by corona; 08-11-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

where did you stay?

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    People get really territorial about their chairs and palapas. I've seen people get in huge fights over this. Personally, I think you are probably asking for trouble if you sit in a space that already has someone's things there or towels on the chairs. And who wants to ruin their vacation over stuff like this?

casa del mar has the same problem with chickies and beach chairs. i have to be down at the beach by 5:30 or no place to sit. all the resorts are the same. have stayed at a number of them. i think abc does inforce the towel rule.

I don't see why not or just have security remove the towels.

Its funny. I've been home from Aruba almost 4 weeks now and have yet to get a response from the negative response survey that I handed in at the front desk when I left or the nice long letter I sent to the Occidental. I am going to take it as they don't care so why even hand out the survey and waste paper.

Aruba since 1979
    i suspect they will not contact you and they will handle any complaints that they get internally.

also too, they may get 100 surveys.......disregard the top 15% and the bottom 15% and figure the remaining 70% are the one's that are most accurate or the one's that most represent guest's experiences.

lots of people read hotel reviews (here and on tripadvisor) and automatically disregard the magnificent ones and the horror stories and accept the reviews in the middle. i tend to lean in that direction myself with any reviews....hotel, restaurant activities etc.

your complaints/issues were more negative on any resort that i have read on any review posted on this forum in a long time. i had hoped you'd hear from them.

Quote Originally Posted by mgenestra View Post
    Its funny. I've been home from Aruba almost 4 weeks now and have yet to get a response from the negative response survey that I handed in at the front desk when I left or the nice long letter I sent to the Occidental. I am going to take it as they don't care so why even hand out the survey and waste paper.

I had a bad experience on my honeymoon ten years ago at the Marriott in St. Thomas. When I got home I wrote them an email detailing out what happened and they got back to me within two weeks and even the manager of the hotel called me personally to apologize and say how sorry he was about our bad experience and especially on our honeymoon. I thought that was great of him to do that and then unexpected in the mail a week later we received a three night stay at any Marriott. Now that is great customer and personal service. I have great respect for the Marriott’s.

where did you stay?
    The last several years we've stayed at the Marriott Stellaris and the Hyatt.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast