Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Occidental negative review

Quote Originally Posted by mgenestra View Post
    I had a bad experience on my honeymoon ten years ago at the Marriott in St. Thomas. When I got home I wrote them an email detailing out what happened and they got back to me within two weeks and even the manager of the hotel called me personally to apologize and say how sorry he was about our bad experience and especially on our honeymoon. I thought that was great of him to do that and then unexpected in the mail a week later we received a three night stay at any Marriott. Now that is great customer and personal service. I have great respect for the Marriott’s.
    Good point. I work in the market research/customer satisfaction business. The well run companies like Marriott, Hyatt, Westin will ALWAYS get back to someone who turns in a negative survey and in fact they get automatic alerts at HQ when one of these negative surveys is received-that's the reason they give them out. Follow up research shows that you can really change someone's negative attitude into a positive or neutral one by responding to them and also can really reinforce a positive comment by responding. I recently had a mildly negative experience with a car rental company, filled out the survey and was surprised when I received a call at work. They insisted on sending me a discount for a future rental to prove they are better than the experience I just had. It really impressed me that they took the time to call me.

There is probably nothing worse they can do than ignore your comments-they would be better off not even giving out the survey or comment card. Maybe you'll eventually hear from the Occidental.

Quote Originally Posted by mgenestra View Post
    I had a bad experience on my honeymoon ten years ago at the Marriott in St. Thomas. When I got home I wrote them an email detailing out what happened and they got back to me within two weeks and even the manager of the hotel called me personally to apologize and say how sorry he was about our bad experience and especially on our honeymoon. I thought that was great of him to do that and then unexpected in the mail a week later we received a three night stay at any Marriott. Now that is great customer and personal service. I have great respect for the Marriott’s.
    I think you may have your own answer.

The next time given a choice of vacationing at a Marriott Resort or Occidental Brand property (Allegro, Occidental Grand, Occidental, Royal Hideaway) you will more than likely choose Marriott. This is what Marriott's intent was in giving you the 3 free nights.

It expensive for corporations to gain new clients/customers rather than keep the ones they already have. A 3 night stay at a Marriott was a "carrot" to keep you within their "family" of hotels.

If this truly ruined your vacation, I would continue to work up the chain of management at Occidental until you receive the satisfaction you are looking for. Know what you want as a form of compensation though, if offered they will in all likelihood offer "free nights" rather than a cash refund. Do you really want to risk staying at an Occidental property again after your last experience?

We recently had an awful experience at a local restaurant here at home. We had had dinner there 3 times previously and it was terrific.

I will be 50 next month and for the first time in my life walked out of a restaurant in the middle of a meal.
    Yes, it was THAT bad. We did offer to pay but the manager would not accept the money for the appetizer we had already consumed.

My husband contacted the corporate office so that they were aware of what was going on at this particular location. They have a different "brand" restaurant where we dine as well and have only had exceptional experiences. As a "thank you" and "sorry", they sent a gift card. It will be a very very long time before we return, if ever. We just wanted to make them aware of the fact that this specific restaurant was far below par for their standards.

jeffnev, have to respectfully disagree with the above comments, the well run companies?
    not sure what that means? do you really believe that the hotels you mentioned, would respond to every unpleasent situation? in my opinion NO. trust me the occidental management takes the reviews seriously. i'm making this statement, because it's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky59 View Post
    jeffnev, have to respectfully disagree with the above comments, the well run companies?
    not sure what that means? do you really believe that the hotels you mentioned, would respond to every unpleasent situation? in my opinion NO. trust me the occidental management takes the reviews seriously. i'm making this statement, because it's a fact.

I have been reading those reviews over on trip advisors and it seems the same complaints today are the same complaints of last year. Example- no towels in the room after coming back from the beach.
    I would think that the occidental management would take care of certain problems if they are mentioned over and over and over.

I guess I ruffled some feathers with My Story/Stay at the Occidental..If I don't get a response from this hotel that will show me they don't care and have no class and believe me I won't ever stay at an Occdental in the near future...

hearing the beach stories, makes me even more happier i chose Renaissance and the private Island.

no ruffle feathers on my end. i know it's a great resort and hard working employees, who have many years at the hotel, also great management team.
    so if they compensate you like the marriott, you would return? stayed one year at another resort in 05 when the occidental was under renovation, it was a total trainwreck, but what can you do? the resorts food is definately not 5 star, but the service, employees and resort is 5 star with me.
    looking forward oct 8th

Respectful differences of opinion are actually a good thing-at least that's what my wife tells me. I think the point of mgenestra's posting is that she would at least like to hear back from the management that you say (and I have no reason to doubt) is so caring. This is a very unhappy customer who I am sure will not be back to this property, but she at least deserves them taking a few minutes to respond to her and show they really do care. I think its great that you truly love your experiences at the Occidental and I certainly hope they continue.

mgenestra posted that she had great respect for Marriott because they responded to her complaint whereas Occidental did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I think you may have your own answer.
    When I stated the above, I meant if Occidental did not respond, imo, there would be no reason to respect them.

what has not been explained with proper details, mgenestra rented a timeshare unit, not a hotel unit, was the survey from the vacation club? if that's the case the management of the hotel would not see the survey card!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast