Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Occidental negative review

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Sept. is considered low season in Aruba. However, it also depends on which hotel you stay at - Sept. is also a prime "wedding/honeymoon month" and honeymooners love AI hotels which is probably one of the reasons the Occidental is booked during a typical low season month.

make sense-- all those kissie kissies in the ocean all week. (LOL)

Ok- I think I am heading back in August next year

Aruba since 1979
    kissie kissies.........in other words "OMGSOH, get a room"

Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    make sense-- all those kissie kissies in the ocean all week. (LOL)

Ok- I think I am heading back in August next year

I am currently in Aruba. I am an owner at Occidental & spent my first week there with similar stories to the op ranging from towel issues, to getting a refund on something, to just being shuffled around bc nobody wanted to answer simple questins for us. It's Evette in the First Club office that is as rude as ever (we experienced it too). I will post my story when we return. We were fortunate enough to be bumped the the Hyatt for the second week bc the Occidental overbooked & have had no such issues since moving next door.

WOW- we were there last week also. And the people at the First CLub place were most helpful with me- (I lost my passport on Sunday and they made numerous calls for me during the first few days)
    - the issue I had was getting my refrigerator stocked with soda for the week. When we arrived it had water and club soda in there. We wanted coke and diet coke- called twice a day. By Friday when I called I told the lady that this is really not acceptable considering the money we spent each year paying for the vacation club and we could not get a can of soda??? they were delivered within 5 minutes after that last call. (too late when we were leaving early the next morning)

\I had no issues with towels. (or the cleaning of the room in a timely manner)
    We also had no issues with food or getting the reservations for dinner where and when we wanted. (I so stressed about that issue before we got there)

I did hear that the 7th floor was experiencing air condition problems- I hope that you were not on the 7th floor.

I've been vacationing for 16 years now and I have stayed at a lot of different hotels and my visit to this hotel was not good. You saw what I wrote and if you read other post on Tripadvisor.com a lot of others have the same compliant. I expect to be treated with great customer service when I am away from home. That did not happen here at the Occidental. Everyone is entiled to their stories and opinions.

nfahey, when reading your post, i'm shocked that ivette of all people would be rude.
    due to all vacation owner's i know all love her, she's never confrontational, but her position no longer allow's her to perform request's, that in the past she was able to handle. example booking a room, they have to go thru the dominican.
    my cousin's just returned monday night 1st stay, they loved everything about the hotel, they will be booking their next stay within the month, for jan. as far as customer service my family's experience has been impeccable, that's why we stay 5 times a year, and looking too return more often..

Just returned last night from 9 wonderful days at the Occidental. We really had no problems at all at the hotel. Although I will say that that we travelled with my brother and sister-in-law and they had an issue with towels. They called to have some sent up but we think that they were delivered them to the wrong room. After calling again an hour later they apologized and delivered them. On the way out to dinner they saw a stack of towels at the door across the hall.
    Now that I think about it, we were missing an ironing board and called and it was delivered in 5 minutes. Almost scary quick, like the person on the other end of the phone was standing down the hall with spare ironing boards.

From that point on everything went off without a hitch. We could not have had a better week. I will have to put together my trip report shortly.

Obviously, there are some people that are not happy with the Occidental. I'm sorry to hear that. You spend a lot of money for vacation and it should be everything that you want it to be.

But you can put us in the group that loves the Occidental and the people in it.

trebor glad you enjoyed the stay, great place and people..i realize and respect the cost of vacationing, but the part that is upsetting to me, is why are folks so aggressive? if you read my earlier post's, i still stand by my OPINION ONLY that many folks are always looking for an excuse to be compensated!!!! and they usually are, which i find in my opinion very unfortunate. the occidental had a past member who would openly hold a sign on the beach, with his rant's. well they called his bluff and they cut him a check, and he was SORRY that he handled his concern's in that manner

if your unhappy i would love a chance to purchase your unit, i'm always searching, only at the OCCIDENTAL!
    ricky59

I have been told that Ivette gets commission for "upselling" the all inclusive to those that have a non-mandatory contract. When we said we only wanted the partial for breakfast, lunch & beverages it was like a switch flipped in her head & she became extremely nasty to us. We agreed to move for our second week to the Hyatt since the Occ was overbooked & they promised me a refund on the partial & an upgrade to the full inclusive for free. It took 4 days to get the bracelet changed & as of today the refund still hasn't posted to my credit card. Ivette knew what was going on & when we attempted to use the computer in the First Club lounge she gave us a very hard time since it was only for those with the total inclusive...and she knew we were owed the other bracelets. Now mind you, when this was going on was when Pennsylvania was experiencing severe flooding. We were trying to get online too see if our house was underwater & she knew that as well. Homes that were 1/8 of a mile from me were TOTALLY submerged in 25 feet of water at this point. She was EXTREMELY hard to deal with & I wouldn't wish her on my worst enemy (especially in a crisis). She is anything but helpful. Now Marilyn in that office was very helpful (she's the one that FINALLY got us the correct bracelets after 4 days). It took us asking for the general managers contact info before anyone would get us what we were owed & we were doing them the favor by moving. I'm not even talking abt the towel issues amoung other things that we experienced. It was the worst customer service experience I have ever had in my entire life.

nfahey, do you know ivette? the reason i ask are you confusing ivette with maralyn?
    as for the partial all inclusive, the hotel is under no obligation offering the plan.
    that decision is based on management's discretion, not the vacation club, no guess, but a fact!! also never heard they profit from all inclusive?
    so actually you were compensated even the partial all inclusive for free, when you were still at the hotel? isound's like a great deal to me.
    in reality offering vacation club member's that compensation is very generous, since hotel members are definately paying more per day, and they may never return, where vacation members will be returning!!! i'm surprised the hotel has not made the offer to those folk's only.. don't be surprised in the future that members may not have this generous offer.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567