Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: one long trip report

one long trip report

My 2010 Aruba report
    This was a spur of the moment trip planned only about 3 weeks before takeoff. We had originally booked a room at the Holiday Inn SunSpree but ended up canceling that and renting a timeshare at the Renaissance Ocean suites.

Our flights in were uneventful, the Continental folks bumped us to an earlier flight from Boston to Newark so that was good but man the landing in Newark was the roughest I’ve ever felt. Transferred and no issues getting to Aruba.
    Bully was there at the airport holding a sign with our name and wearing his Boston cap so all was good there.

The Renaissance: I am so glad we rented this timeshare. We got a 1 bedroom end unit on the fifth floor. It had a king size bed in the bedroom, a sleeper sofa in the living room with a table with 4 chairs. The little kitchenette had 2 apartment sized refrigerators, a sink, microwave and a 2 burner range top. The suite was a little dated and yes it could use some sprucing up. But it was clean and comfortable. The complete room service was twice a week and towel were replaced every day as needed. The view from the balcony was of the Renaissance Island and the pool area. Even though we rented from a private individual we had to pay the tax of $6.50 a day so if you go this route expect this tax. The Renaissance location is in the downtown area right next to where the cruise ships come in and out and I was expecting huge crowds with two of those monsters tied up at all times but it was not bad. During the week we were there I think 6 different cruise ships showed up. My wife loved the location next to the mall and downtown shopping area she ended up with another ring and I ended up with a new watch (made in the US but bought in Aruba, go figure).

We ate at a few different mall area restaurants but mostly at Café the Plaza, their prices were good the food was good and they had entertainment most nights we were there.
    The Renaissance Island was something we both loved, no getting up early to reserve a shady spot , no big crowds and a restaurant right there on the island for refreshments. Caution if you drink a lot of Balashi while on the beach bring your own. The Island price was around 5 bucks American. I did a bunch of snorkeling while on the Renaissance Island and it was great. On our last full day there it was one of those rare days without much wind and I went outside of the rock walls. The water was crystal clear and I took over 100 pictures in the 2 hours I spent snorkeling around. No turtles this trip but I was not disappointed.

We did a Divi resort sales presentation this time around to kill some time on Sunday and ended up with a certificate for $100 off a DePalm Safari. Open land rover that hit the lighthouse, gold mine ruins, the chapel, what’s left of the natural bridge and they drove us by the water and beer plant. I was sure we had signed up for one that also did the baby beach for swimming and snorkeling but it never happened. While on the way back to the DePalm depot we were going by the Renaissance so the fellow driving stopped and we bailed out there instead of taking the DePalm bus back to our hotel. It was not a bad trip, nice folks we rode with, but I don’t think it was worth the $158 bucks it cost.

Bully took us back to the airport and after a 2 hour delay Jet Blue took us home. The Jet Blue extra leg room seats are real nice and I think worth the extra 10 bucks.

We are home now and scheming on when we can go back.
    Next Aruba trip in

glad you had a great time...start planning that next trip

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Can't wait for our trip!!! Time is going by too slow!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    drivr...nice report...we'll be there in 40 days....love the Renn and Cafe Plaza.

Nice report...makes me feel like November will never come.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

November I have further than that.....

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Thanks for posting your report.

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    Thank you for the nice report. Is it ever possible to visit Ren Island if you are not staying there?

SuperBunches, I am not sure but I dont think so. You need a Renaissance room card to get on the boat, everyone needs one so if you and your spouse are getting on the boat you will both need your cards.
    Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBunches View Post
    Thank you for the nice report. Is it ever possible to visit Ren Island if you are not staying there?
    You can purchase day passes. Last I heard they were $75 pp and including lunch and a drink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast