Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chrisinhouston

Thread: One of our best memories of Aruba

One of our best memories of Aruba

When we were there in November, 2007 my wife was working on a project at the then Valero Refinery so her weekdays were spent at work and I enjoyed the beaches and exploring and planning our evenings and weekends together. I saw something in the local newspaper about a special event at Chez Mathilde to celebrate the release of the Beaujolais Nouveau wine that happens every year on the 3rd Thursday in November. I forget how much it was, maybe $75 per person so I made reservations. We first met up at a local art gallery not far from the restaurant. They served appetizers and plenty of the new wine being poured. I remember seeing some lovely art work as well as some paintings that were... I'll just say quite different! The artist for the latter was there and he said he used to be a chef on the island but now only did painting. He told me he but paint on the bodies of nude women and then had them roll around on the canvas to make the work!

After an hour or so a little jazz band like the ones in New Orleans showed up and our entire group walked through the streets of Oranjestad with the band playing and we went to Chez Mathilde where we enjoyed a multi-course meal and of course quite a bit more of the featured wine. We had a lovely evening and walked back to the Marriott afterwards.

A day or 2 later I was looking at the newspaper and saw a write up on the event and found that I was in one of the pictures they published. I picked up a few more copies of the paper to share with family when we got back.

Great story! Thanks for sharing.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ