Aruba Beach
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: ongoing trip report aug 7 - 21

Welcome Sherry

thanks andrea! won't be on too often. as you know, moderating can take bunch of time but i just couldn't pass up the opportunity to talk about the fun we had. the entire vacation (when you weren't feeling ill) was great. we were together for all the misery before aruba. at least we got to enjoy the good times together too.

oops, thank you too lisa!

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryf View Post
    The first part of the tour took us thru the Dutch Military’s firing range. We got to be close up and personal with some very bullet riddled rusty old cars and kept on waiting to see the red lights (where were they???) that would warn if target practice was starting.
    On both our trips to Aruba we have ended up going through that firing range
    -- it really is a little spooky! We kept looking over our shoulders and wondering if things would suddenly start "happening"!!!

Aruba since 1979
    the big old sign said something like.......
    entering firing range
    danger!
    keep out when lights are flashing.

sherry and i kept saying "what lights?" "do you see any flashing lights?"

the husbands, just sat and laughed. ommi was laughing. sherry and i were a bit nervous to say the least.

we were envisioning the headline on the Aruba Today or the Amigoe.com

"2 stupid bullet riddled american women found in arikok clutching to go margarita cups"

Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    On both our trips to Aruba we have ended up going through that firing range
    -- it really is a little spooky! We kept looking over our shoulders and wondering if things would suddenly start "happening"!!!

Sounds like many outings my husband and I have had over the years. Usually we get bored of the beach after a couple of days and that's when we hop in the car and explore through the park, Rodger's Beach (which has been one of our favorites since our second trip to Aruba), the lovely firing range (LOL!), stop for a drink at the "oasis" (Boca Prins Bar), enjoy a bite at one of the local roadside restaurants, etc.

Of course, Arikok isn't as much fun in a Yaris now that they've paved the road. Makes it too easy and we won't have any fun stories to tell anymore. LOL!!

Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the same things! Everyone should get "out and about" and enjoy all of the island. It's fun!
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    Sounds like many outings my husband and I have had over the years. Usually we get bored of the beach after a couple of days and that's when we hop in the car and explore through the park, Rodger's Beach (which has been one of our favorites since our second trip to Aruba), the lovely firing range (LOL!), stop for a drink at the "oasis" (Boca Prins Bar), enjoy a bite at one of the local roadside restaurants, etc.

Of course, Arikok isn't as much fun in a Yaris now that they've paved the road. Makes it too easy and we won't have any fun stories to tell anymore. LOL!!

Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the same things! Everyone should get "out and about" and enjoy all of the island. It's fun!
    We were a little disappointed too when we ended up on a paved road leaving Boca Prins Bar (a favorite for us for a burger and cold one after wandering around among the goats and cacti pretending we were kinda lost!)!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ongoing trip report aug 7 - 21-img_5199.jpg   ongoing trip report aug 7 - 21-img_5201.jpg   ongoing trip report aug 7 - 21-img_5202.jpg  

Good day everyone.
    I am a new comer to this forum and hope to meet all of you. My name is Ommi and I am the guilty one who took Andrea, Sherry, Paul and Murray on this wonderfully scary trip thru Parke Arikok.

For a minute there I felt like one of the ducks on the firing range at Disney World. Lol. I'm glad all had fun regardless. Next time we'll have to go thru the next part of which I know you all will love it.

I'm also glad you all enjoyed the homemade burgers at Urataka Center. They are the best. They have the best pizzas in my opinion as well.

Too bad we couldn't make it to the reef. It is a nice place where the water is shallow and very clear with lots of fish, but on that day it was very hot and I'm not sure if you all would have enjoyed it as much as the trip.

I can't wait to see you all here again so we can do the part 2 of the trip.

Btw Andrea, I still can't find those lights.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post

Hi Amy. Not to worry about the paved road. It is nice for those who want to get a view of the northern side of the island without having to pay the rental for damages to the car, although they may be minimal. There are plenty more dirt roads arround the area that would be great for the more adventurous. Many years back I used to race Quad Racers (ATVs) from end to end of the island. It is lots of fun. We also went with groups but you'll need to have an extremely good stomach that will hold in place. In regards to off roading you can take mild scenic routes, the more adventurous one or the extreme ones. I have many years that have not gone thru it. The last time was I did was when I last owned a Four wheeled ATV five years back.

I would be happy to show anyone arround these roads if time permits. I like doing it because it was one of my favorite hobbies.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast