Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AhhAruba

Thread: Our 4th trip to paradise Dec. 10-22

Our 4th trip to paradise Dec. 10-22

We stayed the first week at the Caribbean Palm Village. Very quiet place and we loved it. Today we are moving to the Marriott Surf Club and we are both sad to leave. CPV is the fifth place we have stayed in and our favorite. My husband and I prefer a more local flavor when we visit. We spend most of our time seeking out non-touristy bars/restaurants. CPV is in a good location for us.

Spent the first day at Moomba Beach. Way too crowded for me. Decided to pick up a chair at the Wema Hardware store and go to Eagle Beach. I spent most of my days there and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

We haven't done much eating out this week. We made breakfast at home and I took snacks to the beach. We went out for drinks and came home and cooked. I could not go back to a staying in a traditional hotel room without a kitchen.

Will add more later.

Aruba since 1979
    We stayed at Cpv last Christmas and liked it lots
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 12-17-2011 at 08:30 AM.

We tried the Kitchen yesterday for lunch. We both had the Teriaki Chicken Stir Fry. It was very very good. This is a new favorite for us.

We tried the new indian food restaurant Tandoor in the Palm Beach area above Busters. They were serving a buffet. The food was good but we both had buffet and water to drink and the bill was $44. We won't be going back.

The island has been very busy. Yesterday I decided to seek out a new beach spot. I have been going to the beach across from Oceania and decided to try Boca Catalina or Arashi Beach. Both were packed. The other times we have visited those areas there have been very few people there.

Last night I was sitting on the balcony enjoying the nice breeze in my shorts and tank top when I heard Jingle Bells playing off in the distance. It is very odd to associate Christmas with warm beach weather. As most of us Mid-westerns do we associate Chrsitmas with snow. I prefer sand to snow any day.

My husband has been disappointed in the lack of iguanas around. Last year we stayed one night at the Surf Club and there were tons of them on the pool deck. Has something happened to the iguana population?

Aruba since 1979
    lots of hotel guests complain about the iguanas.(they are frightened or creeped out i guess...plus the iguana poop is very unpleasant)

that being said, the resorts "relocate" the iguanas.

it is illegal in aruba to KILL iguanas.
    they are a protected animal.

Quote Originally Posted by AhhAruba View Post
    We tried the Kitchen yesterday for lunch. We both had the Teriaki Chicken Stir Fry. It was very very good. This is a new favorite for us.

We tried the new indian food restaurant Tandoor in the Palm Beach area above Busters. They were serving a buffet. The food was good but we both had buffet and water to drink and the bill was $44. We won't be going back.

The island has been very busy. Yesterday I decided to seek out a new beach spot. I have been going to the beach across from Oceania and decided to try Boca Catalina or Arashi Beach. Both were packed. The other times we have visited those areas there have been very few people there.

Last night I was sitting on the balcony enjoying the nice breeze in my shorts and tank top when I heard Jingle Bells playing off in the distance. It is very odd to associate Christmas with warm beach weather. As most of us Mid-westerns do we associate Chrsitmas with snow. I prefer sand to snow any day.

My husband has been disappointed in the lack of iguanas around. Last year we stayed one night at the Surf Club and there were tons of them on the pool deck. Has something happened to the iguana population?

Boca Prins, Mangel Halto & just about any spot with my little family.
    Oh that's too bad. I was looking forward to my son's reaction to them in February. He LOVES animals!

And they look quite different from our dog and two cats.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

We always see some around AquaWindies. We haven't been there this trip but I don't think they would be inclined to "relocate" them like the hotels. Sad.

Today we drove into San Nicholas to eat at Hollywood Smokehouse. Right as we were getting out of the car a guy came up quickly and started wiping our windows. We told him no but he wasn't taking no for an answer. My husband ended up giving him a dollar to get rid of him but the man wanted more and was asking him to roll his window down. We made a gut check decision and decided to drive to Zeerovers for lunch instead. As always you have to be aware of your surroundings.

I hate that the rental car companies plaster the windows with stickers announcing it is a rental. The V on the license plate does that already but I think it draws the wrong attention at times.

Lunch at Zeerovers was very good. We ordered 3 pieces of Wahoo, some shrimp and plantains. They threw in some fries as well and we had more than we could eat for $27. Yum.

Aruba since 1979
    there are a gazillion of them here at renaissance ocean suites.

While we battled some rain here and there the weather temperature this time of year is the best we have experienced. My husband and I are totally sold on Aruba in December.

We carried on our luggage and we both felt like we had what we needed and even had a few too many shirts/shorts. The only thing I would do different is bring a better cooler. I brought a cooler bag, the plastic lined bag type and spending 4-5 hours on the beach the ice just didn't last. Also I bought a camping style chair to take to the beach and would like to find a more beach type chair that sits low and reclines.

This year we rented a blackberry for my husband and I used my own phone in airplane mode with free wifi where I could get it and a Setar card around the hotspots. We would talk back and forth using Google Talk. It worked well until one afternoon when I was on Eagle Beach and it was pouring rain and I couldn't get a wifi signal. Back at the Marriott where it wasn't raining my husband who was watching the weather didn't realize he needed to pick me up so I sat under a hut in blowing rain for about an hour and a half. Not fun. If your resort has free wifi like the Caribbean Palm does than it is really convenient to use your own phone just make sure to put it in airplane mode than turn on the wifi afterward. If you turn on the wifi first then turn on airplane mode the wifi turns off.

We are already planning our next trip which will be December next year. This time we will have our son who will be on college break and possibly a friend of his. Already getting excited!