Aruba Beach
Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By ChandraRS
  • 1 Post By Arubalisa

Thread: Our First Trip to Aruba, but not our last...

Our First Trip to Aruba, but not our last...

Trip report 28 April-5 May 2012
    My husband and I had been planning our first trip to Aruba for 9 months and although we have a rule that we never go to the same place twice because there is just too much world out there to see - we both agree that Aruba is now an exception to that rule! We fell in love with the people, the places, the weather and the beaches! We never felt unsafe or unwelcome.
    We stayed at La Cabana-we are Blue Green Owners so this was the only place I looked at to stay. We were slightly disappointed by our room location--we were right in the construction zone with no view but a green screened fence and scaffolding, but we were rarely in our room so what did that really matter?! We would stay here again-the rooms were nice and clean and we really like the location. We enjoyed the pool only a few times because we couldn’t bear to leave the beach! We did get out there around 6AM every morning to get a palapa and chairs, it really did become the favorite part of our day on the beach. We loved the calm of early mornings on Eagle Beach-I do miss that most now that I am back to that four letter word---‘work’
    I had read about Bully here and decided to pre-book him for our arrival and a few other trips I knew we would need a taxi for--we chose not to rent a car and we really didn’t miss having one. Bully is great-on time, professional and informative. He is very busy but always took care of us by finding another driver if he couldn’t make it. Our first meal in Aruba was a short walk from La Cabana. We ate at Carambola and it was a wonderful first meal. I had the Early Bird special filet and it came with mushroom gravy that was outstanding!
    Our first full day was just for relaxing--the water is amazing, so warm and clear. The sand was so soft -just can’t say enough about how perfect Eagle Beach is. After a relaxing first day, we had reservations for Flying Fishbone. It was amazing! We sat with our feet in the water, ate a wonderful meal and enjoyed our surroundings.
    Day 2 - thanks to you all - I booked a personal tour with Cerry. I am so glad I did, it was well worth it! We spend 4 hours with Cerry and learned more about Aruba then we ever thought we could. I feel like we saw it all--everything we wanted to see and learn about we did. He took his time with us letting us decide how long to stay at each place, answering questions and giving us information that we never even thought to ask about. He has a great sense of humor and made this tour fun and enjoyable for us both! We plan to bring the kids/grandkids next time and we will definitely book another tour with Cerry! We walked down to Screaming Eagle for dinner after hanging at the beach in the afternoon. Another wonderful meal --we really never had a bad meal anywhere! The walk back to La Cabana was beautiful--the night air, the moon, the sound of the ocean and the music that surrounded you from all directions. Another perfect day in Aruba!
    The next day was all for my hubby! We took the Kayak Adventures tour to De Palm Island! I am not as strong or fit as my Active Duty Army hubby so this was quite the work-out for me. But I do have to admit - it was a really fun one! I have never kayaked in my life so I was a bit nervous. We decided to do a double kayak and I am so glad we did even though they call the double ones-‘divorce canoes’! You really do have to communicate and work together--something my hubby and I don’t always do really well! Once we got to the island we had 3 hours to enjoy it--all you can eat, drink and do. Some activities were extra, but with all the ‘included’ stuff we were good to go. We love to snorkel and we were not disappointed here. The food was good--lots of choices on this little island and all you can eat. Drinks were good and plenty - of course, we didn’t want to ‘Drink and Kayak’ so we did watch our consumption When it was time to leave, I learned we were going to kayak back against the wind/waves….really?! I thought we did that on the way to the Island?! I was very wrong -- the waves were crashing over the kayak into my face. Now here is the only time I really felt like this was a ‘divorce canoe’ since my hubby was yelling at me because I was turning my head as the waves crashed into my face….salt water does burn the eyes a tad! I apparently was not doing a good job of steering us in the right direction with my head turned and my eyes closed….. Oh well, we made it and we are still married! Coco and the gang were great! I definitely recommend this tour!! We were super hungry after this workout--so it was off to Smokey Joes for all you can eat Rib night! They are not kidding when they say all you can eat either! Great meal, server and location. We spent several hours shopping in all the quaint shops around this area.
    Wednesday we spent the morning on the beach and the afternoon in Oranjestad. It was a short, cheap bus ride away. We were amazed at all the Jewelry shops - I did get a little bling to take home What was super funny was that we bought 2 T-shirts and they told us we got a free beer….really??? It was super funny--my hubby was taken off guard--he loves beer but never got one for buying a shirt before. He got another one after buying that bling for me too - if only he would have been drinking more prior to the buying of said bling--it might have been bigger Back to the high rise area to Salt and Pepper for dinner--they have the best Grouper sandwich and try the Mango Madness….Yummy!!! The waiters are very friendly and attentive…. A 10 in our book!
    Thursday was Jolly Pirate day! This was a ton of fun and those “Pirates” aren’t bad to look at The first stop at the sunken ship was the best--the colors and amount of fish were remarkable. The other 2 stops were wonderful also, but there was just something about that first stop. The rope swing was fun--I didn’t partake, but hubby did and I have the photo proof of his rope skills now. The food and drinks were good. The crew was great fun--pulling pranks, joking and dancing with us all. I have a great photo of a prank they pulled on my hubby--it is being kept in a safe place to use in ‘marital negotiations’ when needed Dinner at El Gaucho--worth the walk from the bus stop!
    Our last full day is upon us…after a short period of mourning in the very early AM--we relaxed and enjoyed our favorite spot--Eagle Beach! Dinner was our most incredible yet--saved the best for last! We had a romantic sunset dinner at Passions. It couldn’t have been more perfect if we tried. The food, drink and sand on your feet were wonderful, but that sunset…..I can’t even find the words.
    With our trip now over, we have nothing but the best memories of Aruba. My husband has spent his first few days back trying to figure out how to get back there! I have to admit-I didn’t think I would find a place ever that would make me want to visit again and again like I kept reading here, but I get it! I totally get it now and I am so glad I do! Thank You Forum for your advice and information - see you soon Aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    Wonderful
    Thank you for posting

I think we will never do the kayak adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandraRS View Post
    Trip report 28 April-5 May 2012
    My husband and I had been planning our first trip to Aruba for 9 months and although we have a rule that we never go to the same place twice because there is just too much world out there to see - we both agree that Aruba is now an exception to that rule! We fell in love with the people, the places, the weather and the beaches! We never felt unsafe or unwelcome.
    We stayed at La Cabana-we are Blue Green Owners so this was the only place I looked at to stay. We were slightly disappointed by our room location--we were right in the construction zone with no view but a green screened fence and scaffolding, but we were rarely in our room so what did that really matter?! We would stay here again-the rooms were nice and clean and we really like the location. We enjoyed the pool only a few times because we couldn’t bear to leave the beach! We did get out there around 6AM every morning to get a palapa and chairs, it really did become the favorite part of our day on the beach. We loved the calm of early mornings on Eagle Beach-I do miss that most now that I am back to that four letter word---‘work’
    I had read about Bully here and decided to pre-book him for our arrival and a few other trips I knew we would need a taxi for--we chose not to rent a car and we really didn’t miss having one. Bully is great-on time, professional and informative. He is very busy but always took care of us by finding another driver if he couldn’t make it. Our first meal in Aruba was a short walk from La Cabana. We ate at Carambola and it was a wonderful first meal. I had the Early Bird special filet and it came with mushroom gravy that was outstanding!
    Our first full day was just for relaxing--the water is amazing, so warm and clear. The sand was so soft -just can’t say enough about how perfect Eagle Beach is. After a relaxing first day, we had reservations for Flying Fishbone. It was amazing! We sat with our feet in the water, ate a wonderful meal and enjoyed our surroundings.
    Day 2 - thanks to you all - I booked a personal tour with Cerry. I am so glad I did, it was well worth it! We spend 4 hours with Cerry and learned more about Aruba then we ever thought we could. I feel like we saw it all--everything we wanted to see and learn about we did. He took his time with us letting us decide how long to stay at each place, answering questions and giving us information that we never even thought to ask about. He has a great sense of humor and made this tour fun and enjoyable for us both! We plan to bring the kids/grandkids next time and we will definitely book another tour with Cerry! We walked down to Screaming Eagle for dinner after hanging at the beach in the afternoon. Another wonderful meal --we really never had a bad meal anywhere! The walk back to La Cabana was beautiful--the night air, the moon, the sound of the ocean and the music that surrounded you from all directions. Another perfect day in Aruba!
    The next day was all for my hubby! We took the Kayak Adventures tour to De Palm Island! I am not as strong or fit as my Active Duty Army hubby so this was quite the work-out for me. But I do have to admit - it was a really fun one! I have never kayaked in my life so I was a bit nervous. We decided to do a double kayak and I am so glad we did even though they call the double ones-‘divorce canoes’! You really do have to communicate and work together--something my hubby and I don’t always do really well! Once we got to the island we had 3 hours to enjoy it--all you can eat, drink and do. Some activities were extra, but with all the ‘included’ stuff we were good to go. We love to snorkel and we were not disappointed here. The food was good--lots of choices on this little island and all you can eat. Drinks were good and plenty - of course, we didn’t want to ‘Drink and Kayak’ so we did watch our consumption When it was time to leave, I learned we were going to kayak back against the wind/waves….really?! I thought we did that on the way to the Island?! I was very wrong -- the waves were crashing over the kayak into my face. Now here is the only time I really felt like this was a ‘divorce canoe’ since my hubby was yelling at me because I was turning my head as the waves crashed into my face….salt water does burn the eyes a tad! I apparently was not doing a good job of steering us in the right direction with my head turned and my eyes closed….. Oh well, we made it and we are still married! Coco and the gang were great! I definitely recommend this tour!! We were super hungry after this workout--so it was off to Smokey Joes for all you can eat Rib night! They are not kidding when they say all you can eat either! Great meal, server and location. We spent several hours shopping in all the quaint shops around this area.
    Wednesday we spent the morning on the beach and the afternoon in Oranjestad. It was a short, cheap bus ride away. We were amazed at all the Jewelry shops - I did get a little bling to take home What was super funny was that we bought 2 T-shirts and they told us we got a free beer….really??? It was super funny--my hubby was taken off guard--he loves beer but never got one for buying a shirt before. He got another one after buying that bling for me too - if only he would have been drinking more prior to the buying of said bling--it might have been bigger Back to the high rise area to Salt and Pepper for dinner--they have the best Grouper sandwich and try the Mango Madness….Yummy!!! The waiters are very friendly and attentive…. A 10 in our book!
    Thursday was Jolly Pirate day! This was a ton of fun and those “Pirates” aren’t bad to look at The first stop at the sunken ship was the best--the colors and amount of fish were remarkable. The other 2 stops were wonderful also, but there was just something about that first stop. The rope swing was fun--I didn’t partake, but hubby did and I have the photo proof of his rope skills now. The food and drinks were good. The crew was great fun--pulling pranks, joking and dancing with us all. I have a great photo of a prank they pulled on my hubby--it is being kept in a safe place to use in ‘marital negotiations’ when needed Dinner at El Gaucho--worth the walk from the bus stop!
    Our last full day is upon us…after a short period of mourning in the very early AM--we relaxed and enjoyed our favorite spot--Eagle Beach! Dinner was our most incredible yet--saved the best for last! We had a romantic sunset dinner at Passions. It couldn’t have been more perfect if we tried. The food, drink and sand on your feet were wonderful, but that sunset…..I can’t even find the words.
    With our trip now over, we have nothing but the best memories of Aruba. My husband has spent his first few days back trying to figure out how to get back there! I have to admit-I didn’t think I would find a place ever that would make me want to visit again and again like I kept reading here, but I get it! I totally get it now and I am so glad I do! Thank You Forum for your advice and information - see you soon Aruba!

Thank you to your husband for his service to our country.

Thank you to you for taking the time to share the details of your trip with us.

Apparently there are two new Aruba Addicts in this world!