Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kewlkate

Thread: Our Jan. trip

Our Jan. trip

We traveled to Aruba Jan. 6th thru the 12th. Not near long enough that is for sure! This was my 13th visit, my husband's 12th, my daughters 2nd and my daughters friend as well our son's 1st trip whom both said they hoped it wasn't their last!

For many years Aruba was just "OUR" place, until a couple years ago we decided to let our daughter come along with us (20 then). She of course fell in love with Aruba, hence taking advantage once again of coming along with us. Our son, age 19 came along for the first time and as you can imagine he fell it love with it too!

We arrived on the 6th with Bully waiting on us at the airport. What a great guy ole Bully is! He dropped us off at La Cabana Resort where we had a speedy check in, went and freshened up, and off to Smokey Joes to eat. Our daugther had been CRAVING their ribs since her visit 2 years ago so we just HAD to make that our first thing to do!! They proved once again to be EXCELLENT!

Every day in Aruba was beautiful blue skies and sunny.

The places we ate were Smokey Joes -Excellent, Mangos - Excellent, Passions - SUPERB, Iguana Joes - Good, Mambo Jambo - Poor, Salt & Pepper - Excellent, LaCabana Islander Grill - the kids liked it, my husband and I would give it an "ok".

Jolly Pirate Snorkel Cruise - fun time had by all!! In fact when leaving Aruba, we asked the kids what their favorite memory was and it was the Jolly Pirate Cruise!

The Kukoo Kunuku Bus - fun time for all. We were picked up at our Resort, taken to the light house for pictures and a champagne toast, then to eat at, if memory serves me correct, a former chief of protocol's place which was beautiful. We sat outside by a pool and had our meal, as well as a small bar set up for drinks. The food was wonderful! We then went to several bars. I can't remember the names of them, but they were "local" hangouts and we really enjoyed them all! We were then dropped back off at our hotel and we all slept GREAT that night! I might say that while out a Banana Bus came to the same place we were at, and we watched them pull up and they were not having near as much fun as we were having! Could have just been that "group"...but from seeing that, I would have to pick the Kukoo Kunuku!

My husband and son rented 4 wheelers and toured the countryside for a day, while the girls and I went shopping. They really enjoyed it (it was not on a tour - they were free to go at the pace they wanted and where they wanted). The girls were just looking for little souvineers to take back to friends so off to downtown we went and stopped at the little huts in front of the cruise terminal. Shot glasses, handmade jewelry, odds & ends. After you go into one, it seems they are all pretty much the same.

Every day we had plenty of time for beachside just relaxing, reading and playing volleyball. Our nights we usually would end up having a "nightcap" at the little bar at Amsterdam Manor. We absolutely fell in love with the bartender there (Vincent).

The LaCabana's rooms were completed and MUCH nicer than the last time we were there. We were really amazed at how different and awesome the lobby looked! Something new to us this visit was the Balashi Chill...tasted pretty darn good!

I think I've covered everything...until next visit...which I hope is SOON....AYO!!!

Kathy from Kansas

Aruba since 1979
    glad that you folks had a nice time.
    thanks for the report

i too like balashi chill!! i am not a beer drinker, but i did like the bc.

dear husband and i are only fans of the island grill for the weekday breakfast (not the weekend buffet) and a take away salad for lunch or dinner. their food on a good day is pretty mediocre imo.

Quote Originally Posted by kewlkate View Post
    We traveled to Aruba Jan. 6th thru the 12th. Not near long enough that is for sure! This was my 13th visit, my husband's 12th, my daughters 2nd and my daughters friend as well our son's 1st trip whom both said they hoped it wasn't their last!

For many years Aruba was just "OUR" place, until a couple years ago we decided to let our daughter come along with us (20 then). She of course fell in love with Aruba, hence taking advantage once again of coming along with us. Our son, age 19 came along for the first time and as you can imagine he fell it love with it too!

We arrived on the 6th with Bully waiting on us at the airport. What a great guy ole Bully is! He dropped us off at La Cabana Resort where we had a speedy check in, went and freshened up, and off to Smokey Joes to eat. Our daugther had been CRAVING their ribs since her visit 2 years ago so we just HAD to make that our first thing to do!! They proved once again to be EXCELLENT!

Every day in Aruba was beautiful blue skies and sunny.

The places we ate were Smokey Joes -Excellent, Mangos - Excellent, Passions - SUPERB, Iguana Joes - Good, Mambo Jambo - Poor, Salt & Pepper - Excellent, LaCabana Islander Grill - the kids liked it, my husband and I would give it an "ok".

Jolly Pirate Snorkel Cruise - fun time had by all!! In fact when leaving Aruba, we asked the kids what their favorite memory was and it was the Jolly Pirate Cruise!

The Kukoo Kunuku Bus - fun time for all. We were picked up at our Resort, taken to the light house for pictures and a champagne toast, then to eat at, if memory serves me correct, a former chief of protocol's place which was beautiful. We sat outside by a pool and had our meal, as well as a small bar set up for drinks. The food was wonderful! We then went to several bars. I can't remember the names of them, but they were "local" hangouts and we really enjoyed them all! We were then dropped back off at our hotel and we all slept GREAT that night! I might say that while out a Banana Bus came to the same place we were at, and we watched them pull up and they were not having near as much fun as we were having! Could have just been that "group"...but from seeing that, I would have to pick the Kukoo Kunuku!

My husband and son rented 4 wheelers and toured the countryside for a day, while the girls and I went shopping. They really enjoyed it (it was not on a tour - they were free to go at the pace they wanted and where they wanted). The girls were just looking for little souvineers to take back to friends so off to downtown we went and stopped at the little huts in front of the cruise terminal. Shot glasses, handmade jewelry, odds & ends. After you go into one, it seems they are all pretty much the same.

Every day we had plenty of time for beachside just relaxing, reading and playing volleyball. Our nights we usually would end up having a "nightcap" at the little bar at Amsterdam Manor. We absolutely fell in love with the bartender there (Vincent).

The LaCabana's rooms were completed and MUCH nicer than the last time we were there. We were really amazed at how different and awesome the lobby looked! Something new to us this visit was the Balashi Chill...tasted pretty darn good!

I think I've covered everything...until next visit...which I hope is SOON....AYO!!!

Kathy from Kansas

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip!

Thanks for the trip report. It makes me happy that I can live through trip reports until our arrival in July!!

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    I love reading everyone's reports since I'm getting antsy. 9 weeks from today before our 11th trip to Paradise!!!

I should have...and now will...spend time reading these splendid reports. I get so much pleasure out of reading the "The Community Forum's General Topics," as well as "First time experiences," that I have neglected these reports.

Not in the future! Thanks, everyone.

Ed