Aruba Beach

Thread: Our Trip March 23 - 30 at The Tam!

Our Trip March 23 - 30 at The Tam!

Let's try this again!!!

Flight

We flew US Airways, no issues! Great Flight down! Left in pouring rain and wind, only to arrive to sunshine and warmth. The 4 of us (2 couples) shared a room at The Comfort Inn in Revere, we did the park and stay package. We ate at Margaritas Rest. which is in the hotel and had a great meal.

Check-In

Didn't go as smoothly as we wanted it to. This was partly not the fault of the Tam. We booked with VacationsToGo.com and had a nice experience with them. We requested 1st floor rooms, side by side. MJ the rep we dealt with at VTG said he did put the request in, BUT, If we didn't get that request at check-in, just ask and you will get it. WRONG! In fairness we booked the trip in Jan. My wife and I got 2509 1st floor. We loved our room and only complaint was the plaster peeling in the shower, but it added character to our room!! The 2500 is at the end and is very quiet and it was nice to have security 24/7 right outside our slider!! OH, on the sliders, the 2400-2500 buildings all have brand new sliders and brabd new A/C Units which are remote controlled!!!!! The other couple intially had 2110, and were told they could move the next day to the 2400 building. They liked the 2100 block and got 2113 2 days later. We all felt that the 2100-2200 is best, beach, closer to bunker bar, and is still quiet!

Suprise

The other that went with us, the wife was turning 40 on the trip!! What her and her husband did not know was that another couple that we are close to was arrving later in the day after us!!!!!!!! So in the afternoon she was taking a nap, and we went in the room and the couple ran onto the bed to suprise her!!! It went great!!!

Staff & Food

Overall the staff was 50/50. You def. need to butter up the bartenders with $$ to make friends, which we did and got great service. Some other staff just seemed either bored or maybe burnt out. You must request Robert on the Shuttle!!!!!!! 4 of us did the couple's massage which was GREAT!!!!!!!!!

The Food, well here is where I and the others did not fare so well. We all realize that this a 3 star resort and we expected 3 star food. I will grant them a positive on the 24th as the WHOLE ISLAND lost power during the night and it was coming on sparingly during the day so, with that we didn't say much. It just seemed the food was oversalted and cooked too dry. We did like Ginger the best and ate there twice. The Red Parrot was actually pretty bad, however the presentation was great! A few people got either food poisioning or had tummy aches and some very loose stools....... Again maybe not accustomed to the food. The buffetts were just that buffetts.

Getting Chairs

Not once did we ever have a problem getting chairs or shade! The wind may have been a factor. We were told the winds we had we not normal and 2 of the days the beaches were empty because if you lied out you get facials and exfloiations!!

IGUANAS

Love them!!!!! We used the pool outside the 2200 building and I hand fed an iguana. I don't know their call sign, but in a matter of minutes we had at least 6-8 others wanting to be fed!! It was great!!!! Myself and another one in our group had 3 of them each in our lounge chairs feeding them!!!!!

The Kooku Konuku Bus

WOW!! Do it, ask for Momma's Bus!!!! That' all I am saying!

Hise Rise vs Low Rise

While on the Bus we got to see the high rise area. It was gorgeous!! However, I am on an island to kick back and get sun and drink! We thought the High Rise was too city like and the Tam & Divi has the island flavor and scene that we like!! Yes, the Divi, is more upscale and we hung out there at times, but really the Tam is the Caribbean to us!!

Divi Links Golf

The men played golf at the links on Friday at 2pm for a best ball format. For $75 you get tee time, cart, sleeve of balls, clubs, and 2 drinks!!! It was great and the actually not too hot out there!!!! We came in 3rd place!

Overall

The trip was great! Would we stay again, yes!! Just hope the food improves! Aruba is a happy place, people for the most part are very freindly and helpful. I will add that talking to an older Aruban gentleman I met at Super Food, he said they love the Americans and not the Canadians! Next time we will venture out more to explore and try other restaurants. It was New England Week as our neighbors at the Tam were from Berkley, MA and have relatives here on the Cape. We got friendly with another couple from RI, and many others. The Bunker Bar was great!! A must for sunsets!!! One night a gentleman brought wine, cheese and crackers. ALso during the week a guest was always had bowls of nuts and chips!!!!

All for now, ask any questions you have!!

Skippy

Skippy, I am glad you had a good time--really how could you not, right? We stay at the Occidental Grand, in the high rise area, and we really just kick back. Maybe it is where you stay. It is an AI and everything we need is right there. This year we are going to venture out, because we are staying 2 weeks. We did that last year but was sick most of the time. BUT THIS YEAR is going to be different. LOL I just love to relax, have a nice drink or two (or three, etc LOL) and meet such nice people.
    Are you having withdraws yet?LOL I do as soon as the taxi comes to pick us up for the airport.
    The surprise sounds really nice! How did they ever keep a secret? Sounds like so much fun.
    Thanks for your trip report, I just love reading these.
    Pat

Aruba since 1979
    thanks skippy for posting your report.
    where did yesterday's report disappear to?

glad you had a great time.
    boy, that week flew by fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Let's try this again!!!

Flight

We flew US Airways, no issues! Great Flight down! Left in pouring rain and wind, only to arrive to sunshine and warmth. The 4 of us (2 couples) shared a room at The Comfort Inn in Revere, we did the park and stay package. We ate at Margaritas Rest. which is in the hotel and had a great meal.

Check-In

Didn't go as smoothly as we wanted it to. This was partly not the fault of the Tam. We booked with VacationsToGo.com and had a nice experience with them. We requested 1st floor rooms, side by side. MJ the rep we dealt with at VTG said he did put the request in, BUT, If we didn't get that request at check-in, just ask and you will get it. WRONG! In fairness we booked the trip in Jan. My wife and I got 2509 1st floor. We loved our room and only complaint was the plaster peeling in the shower, but it added character to our room!! The 2500 is at the end and is very quiet and it was nice to have security 24/7 right outside our slider!! OH, on the sliders, the 2400-2500 buildings all have brand new sliders and brabd new A/C Units which are remote controlled!!!!! The other couple intially had 2110, and were told they could move the next day to the 2400 building. They liked the 2100 block and got 2113 2 days later. We all felt that the 2100-2200 is best, beach, closer to bunker bar, and is still quiet!

Suprise

The other that went with us, the wife was turning 40 on the trip!! What her and her husband did not know was that another couple that we are close to was arrving later in the day after us!!!!!!!! So in the afternoon she was taking a nap, and we went in the room and the couple ran onto the bed to suprise her!!! It went great!!!

Staff & Food

Overall the staff was 50/50. You def. need to butter up the bartenders with $$ to make friends, which we did and got great service. Some other staff just seemed either bored or maybe burnt out. You must request Robert on the Shuttle!!!!!!! 4 of us did the couple's massage which was GREAT!!!!!!!!!

The Food, well here is where I and the others did not fare so well. We all realize that this a 3 star resort and we expected 3 star food. I will grant them a positive on the 24th as the WHOLE ISLAND lost power during the night and it was coming on sparingly during the day so, with that we didn't say much. It just seemed the food was oversalted and cooked too dry. We did like Ginger the best and ate there twice. The Red Parrot was actually pretty bad, however the presentation was great! A few people got either food poisioning or had tummy aches and some very loose stools....... Again maybe not accustomed to the food. The buffetts were just that buffetts.

Getting Chairs

Not once did we ever have a problem getting chairs or shade! The wind may have been a factor. We were told the winds we had we not normal and 2 of the days the beaches were empty because if you lied out you get facials and exfloiations!!

IGUANAS

Love them!!!!! We used the pool outside the 2200 building and I hand fed an iguana. I don't know their call sign, but in a matter of minutes we had at least 6-8 others wanting to be fed!! It was great!!!! Myself and another one in our group had 3 of them each in our lounge chairs feeding them!!!!!

The Kooku Konuku Bus

WOW!! Do it, ask for Momma's Bus!!!! That' all I am saying!

Hise Rise vs Low Rise

While on the Bus we got to see the high rise area. It was gorgeous!! However, I am on an island to kick back and get sun and drink! We thought the High Rise was too city like and the Tam & Divi has the island flavor and scene that we like!! Yes, the Divi, is more upscale and we hung out there at times, but really the Tam is the Caribbean to us!!

Divi Links Golf

The men played golf at the links on Friday at 2pm for a best ball format. For $75 you get tee time, cart, sleeve of balls, clubs, and 2 drinks!!! It was great and the actually not too hot out there!!!! We came in 3rd place!

Overall

The trip was great! Would we stay again, yes!! Just hope the food improves! Aruba is a happy place, people for the most part are very freindly and helpful. I will add that talking to an older Aruban gentleman I met at Super Food, he said they love the Americans and not the Canadians! Next time we will venture out more to explore and try other restaurants. It was New England Week as our neighbors at the Tam were from Berkley, MA and have relatives here on the Cape. We got friendly with another couple from RI, and many others. The Bunker Bar was great!! A must for sunsets!!! One night a gentleman brought wine, cheese and crackers. ALso during the week a guest was always had bowls of nuts and chips!!!!

All for now, ask any questions you have!!

Skippy

Quote Originally Posted by Love Aruba View Post
    Skippy, I am glad you had a good time--really how could you not, right? We stay at the Occidental Grand, in the high rise area, and we really just kick back. Maybe it is where you stay. It is an AI and everything we need is right there. This year we are going to venture out, because we are staying 2 weeks. We did that last year but was sick most of the time. BUT THIS YEAR is going to be different. LOL I just love to relax, have a nice drink or two (or three, etc LOL) and meet such nice people.
    Are you having withdraws yet?LOL I do as soon as the taxi comes to pick us up for the airport.
    The surprise sounds really nice! How did they ever keep a secret? Sounds like so much fun.
    Thanks for your trip report, I just love reading these.
    Pat

I did see the Occidental from the bus and have had friends stay there and they love it. Being the type of people we are we may just have to give a try!
    It was very hard for the 4 of us to keep this quiet about the surprise. That's why the other couple booked a later flight, and over the Winter we all almost blew it one time or another!

Andrea, when I hit submit last night, it showed me as signed out! This time I copied and pasted it just in case!