Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Our Trip Report from 13 Feb - 20 Feb 2012

Loved your review, very helpful.

I was aware the Florin was pegged, but that doesn't actually have a lot to do with the local currency. All that can really be behind the scenes. Lots of countries around the world peg their own currency to the USD. Several countries use the USD as their local currency, they just buy notes from our mints. Some of those either use US coinage, or have their own coins. A few countries are like Aruba. The USD is a defacto currency. I'd submit that's more because of tourism, than the currency peg. I think it's probably amazing convenient around the cruise port.

Regardless of the reasons here, it just seemed a bit odd to me. I'm sure I actually over-think it somewhat. And to be fair, I did attempt to 'force' my own florin use. But, it was strange to have a vendor look at us, figure we were American, and present the total in USD. That's great, but I didn't have USD, I had Florins, so I needed to convert back (I'm quick with computation, so no trouble there). But it seemed strange. Usually, when I was about to pay, I held florins in my hand visibly to the vendor. That usually made the transaction stay in florins. But of course, as soon as I though I had it all figured out, I'd get a US quarter back in the change mix sometimes. Odd.

Like I said, I'm not angry about this; I find it interesting. Almost humorous actually. Am I a fugitive now that I've 'exported' florins from Aruba?
    Last edited by Infinion; 04-09-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typos abound!

Aruba since 1979
    hahaha nope, not a fugitive..........just a reason to go back to aruba to spend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    hahaha nope, not a fugitive..........just a reason to go back to aruba to spend them.
    It's tempting. I'm thinking we're heading to Panama next winter though. Should be exciting.

Tourism is trending more international than just U.S. Lots of South Americans and more and more Europeans. As to cruise passengers, the cruise traffic all but drops dead from May to the end of October when only 2 ships call, and even then, not every week.

You will LOVE Panama! MUCH to see and DO!

I'll admit I eat at fast food when I travel. Why? I have a sensitive stomach and stick with simple and familiar so I'm not sick during vacation. We also noticed we were just about the only tourists in them when we went. Plus, I'm not a foodie, fast food is cheap (more money to spend/save for next trip), and it gets me out quick so I can get back on the beach. I still get to try something new - Taco Bell here doesn't have Fiesta Fries like Aruba does!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

Smile

You will find that there are basicly 2 kinds of american tourists that go to Aruba. Those that arrive at the resort and never leave it and those that arrive at the resort and then become adventurous, driving around the island and trying new things. We met 2 couples on our first trip to Aruba that had been to the island more than 5 times but had never been anywhere else on the island except downtown. They stay at an all inclusive and sit on the beach all day. Thats what they told us. We met them when we went to breakfast at the Divi village one morning. These types just go there to do nothing and are happy doing it. I do not judge them.
    We also met several couples that told us where everything was because they had been to them. They even took us to dinner one night.
    we had a pizza hut pizza delivered to our room the first night we were on Aruba because we had no car and didnt know where else to get food at 9 at night. Amazingly the pizza was quite good. Different from what you get at pizza hut in the staes.
    That being said, we also noticed that most of the diners at fast food places we pass by do seem to be locals.
    Im sure there are other types that do a lot of both.

Aruba is a place the supports a lot of different styles of travelers. I think it's great that it is a place where one can lock themselves in the resort and never leave. But, to me, that's leaving so much on the table. But, I won't judge them either.

As for food, I completely understand that. We always try to make an effort to find something interesting. But, sometimes that's tough, especially if you need food. And, that's something we're interested in, and something others might not care about. We stopped at Wendy's on the island to use their restroom, and you're all right. The patrons were all locals.

Our first day into London last year, we woke up, needed food and drink and internet. How about that -- a Starbucks right around the corner from the hotel! We felt bad for going there...but like you said, we didn't know where else to go yet, it was convenient, and we were hungry. It's probably strange to some to hear we felt bad for going to Starbucks. But, we try to squeeze out every experience from travel, so it's something we have engrained into us -- try to eat local when possible. Luckily, later in the trip we spent a few days with family, and stayed in tiny B&Bs as soon as we left London area. We certainly got our fill of home cooked and local food.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    You will find that there are basicly 2 kinds of american tourists that go to Aruba. Those that arrive at the resort and never leave it and those that arrive at the resort and then become adventurous, driving around the island and trying new things. We met 2 couples on our first trip to Aruba that had been to the island more than 5 times but had never been anywhere else on the island except downtown. They stay at an all inclusive and sit on the beach all day. Thats what they told us. We met them when we went to breakfast at the Divi village one morning. These types just go there to do nothing and are happy doing it. I do not judge them.
    We also met several couples that told us where everything was because they had been to them. They even took us to dinner one night.
    we had a pizza hut pizza delivered to our room the first night we were on Aruba because we had no car and didnt know where else to get food at 9 at night. Amazingly the pizza was quite good. Different from what you get at pizza hut in the staes.
    That being said, we also noticed that most of the diners at fast food places we pass by do seem to be locals.
    Im sure there are other types that do a lot of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

You will LOVE Panama! MUCH to see and DO!

Can we do Panama in a week -- figure 6 full days + some extra on the in and out days? We're still debating, and it's our 'winter destination' top runner right now. But, we can only give it a week since we have several trips planned for the rest of this year already. Our safety choice is probably Hispaniola; specifics unknown.

Panama sounds great. I've also been trying to get to Cuba for a while now. Anyone been?

Okay, sorry, we can venture back on topic now.
    Last edited by Infinion; 04-10-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: My space bar sticks.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Infinion View Post
    Aruba is a place the supports a lot of different styles of travelers. I think it's great that it is a place where one can lock themselves in the resort and never leave. But, to me, that's leaving so much on the table. But, I won't judge them either.

As for food, I completely understand that. We always try to make an effort to find something interesting. But, sometimes that's tough, especially if you need food. And, that's something we're interested in, and something others might not care about. We stopped at Wendy's on the island to use their restroom, and you're all right. The patrons were all locals.

Our first day into London last year, we woke up, needed food and drink and internet. How about that -- a Starbucks right around the corner from the hotel! We felt bad for going there...but like you said, we didn't know where else to go yet, it was convenient, and we were hungry. It's probably strange to some to hear we felt bad for going to Starbucks. But, we try to squeeze out every experience from travel, so it's something we have engrained into us -- try to eat local when possible. Luckily, later in the trip we spent a few days with family, and stayed in tiny B&Bs as soon as we left London area. We certainly got our fill of home cooked and local food.
    We spent 5 days in London before a week in Paris in August of 1990. Friends told us to take a sweater, jacket and raincoat. Leave the shorts at home. Since we were going to Paris as well, we took some warm weather clothing. Thank goodness! London temps were 99f for the first 3 days and in the 80s the last 2. Hottest weather since 1911 at that time. Nothing is AC and no ice anywhere. We survived by going across the street to the Hard Rock cafe for iced tea. Never did find any good local restaurants in London but did find a really cool pub. Cant remember the name though. Plenty of good local cafes in Paris. Only, cant say bad, but mediocher meal we got there was at the dinner show at Moulin Rouge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast