Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Randi
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Randi's trip report

Randi's trip report

After a few weeks in Aruba and being home with the snow and cold I thought that doing a trip report would make take my mind off all of this miserable weather.

Our stay at the Surf Club was great and basically uneventful with the exception of the two days we had a few hours of no electricity. This was not a SC issue but rather one of the island electrical grid. Dec. 25th we had a number of hours without power in the late afternoon until late evening and again on Dec. 26th. Many ideas floating around as to the cause but an issue that they really need to address. The night lights that are in our rooms that are supposed to be back up light in case of a power failure did not work. However, main areas of the resort did have back up electricity.

The new Adult pool at the hotel was very nice but very strictly "guarded" which is fine as they need to do this or it would not be available to the intended hotel guests. The space it was placed was large so as a result the pool has lots of space for lounging and it also has its own bar. The whole area is encompassed by a gate with access (both entry and exit) only with your room key.
    Ritz is coming along and they say it will be ready by Nov 2013, but I don't see how this will be possible. This is a huge complex and it will have a very large beach area. Will be interesting to see what will happen with this area once its open.

Restaurant Highlights:

We went to Barefoot twice and both times had absolutely amazing meals with fantastic and attentive service. Last year during the same period it was new and quiet but this year it was nice to see it busy and successful.

Anna-Maria's- went there three times as our family loves Italian. Everything was excellent from food to service. Portions were good size and everything was superb. Best Italian on the island, imo.

El Gaucho had in previous years been not as good as in years past, however, this year it was outstanding. Steaks were as good as in earlier years but service is still a little fast but all in all we give it a "thumbs up".

Wacky Wahoos- went twice and had great meals both times. They need to somehow be better organized with their reservations as it is always a little confusing if you have to wait for a table. Fish is fresh and always delicious. There black bean soup and corn chowder is excellent too.

New for us was Amadeus. We enjoyed it and felt for the basic menu prices were very reasonable but their meat was a bit pricey. Great service and very nice environment.

Windows at the Divi was also high on our list. We went there for New Year's Eve, which is always a difficult night at a restaurant but they were amazing. Great place and food is wonderful. Upon arrival (8pm) they had a small band/singer which was over powering and very loud, thankfully, they were at the end of their time at Windows, 40 minutes into our evening. This would have been a huge negative as this was a nice "thought" but the music was not dinner music but rather night club music and no one was able to talk at our table. We were a group of 15 and all of us didn't enjoy this. Another large group came in after us and also spoke to management about this. Other than that, a definite 10!

5 Burgers which is the former 5 Guys burgers, does anyone know the story here? Will ask this on the 5 Guys thread.

CAR RENTAL
    This year we tried Toyota at the Playa Linda and we give them a "thumbs down". We chose them due to close proximity to SC as we were going to use two different vehicles- van and car. The first van (before we even came to pick it up) had to be replaced as it had a flat tire on the way to the car rental location. I only mention this as it relates further to my story. The van we got was beat up and in terrible condition but "whatever", after 5 days this van got a flat tire. Apparently, it had slow leak and to my misfortune went completely flat in the parking lot of Kong Hing at closing and at dusk. They couldn't come and help me for over one hour so I had to leave van and get a lift home. We were 6 people and needed two taxi's back and forth from dinner that night. Toyota did reflect this in the price adjustment to our van. We gave back the van and waited 2 days and took the car we booked which was fine. Don't think I would go back to them but plus is that they are computerized so when their computer is working the paper work is much faster than having to complete forms by hand.

USAIR:
    Don't know what it is about this airline but every year we have an issue (some large some small) and they always end up giving me some form of voucher which necessitates another usair flight to Aruba. Three out of the six of us had issues and so far two got vouchers but the third which was more on the "large" scale I am currently awaiting a decision. Story: Youngest son was traveling home a day before us on routing Aruba-Charlotte, Charlotte-Toronto with an overnight there and next morning continuing on home. He was traveling on a points ticket made almost one year prior and in first class (as that was all I could get on points). Prior to boarding in Charlotte, this flight to Toronto was oversold. They were frantic in trying to convince people to take a voucher and be rerouted but no one would. DS had an assigned seat and there were a few people who had tickets but no assigned seats (which would lead me to believe that they bought their tickets later when all assigned seats were gone). One family of four wanted seats on this plane and were in economy and the gate agent was trying to get them on by bumping others. She called up all first class people and my son was first in line. She took his boarding pass and told him he was off the plane. He said he had an assigned seat, and she said "not anymore" and ripped up his boarding pass right in front of him!!! He tried to speak to her and she refused. He went to the supervisor and told him what had transpired and gate agent flatly denied ripping his ticket. DS told supervisor to look in garbage and see ripped ticket. When he glanced over he said he would then help him. As supervisor was trying to get him on the flight, DS told gate agent that he had to be on the flight as he was a minor and had family meeting him in Toronto. Gate agent looked at him and said "how old are you" to which my son replied 17 and she just laughed in his face!! Finally, after some tense minutes he was finally allowed on the flight with only minutes to spare. Aside from all the rude behaviour, how does this airline bump first class passengers off a flight to give their seat to an oversold economy passenger? Chad???
    WEATHER:
    First week there was 2 full days of rain and 2 half days Second week had one half day of rain and third week was beautiful. A fair amount of rain overnight or early mornings. We did also notice less wind than in previous years.

Well, as I look out my window and see the snow (thankfully the record cold temperatures are over) memories of the warmth of Aruba aren't too far from my thoughts. Can't wait until next trip in March minus the kids!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip. Keep thinking warm thoughts until March.

One other item I would like to mention is our visit to Madame Janettes but rather how it relates to parents and children in restaurants.

We went to MJ on our last night, two families and we booked months ago the gazebo. Since we are usually 10 ppl, we never have the opportunity to dine in the gazebo so we were so excited for this. We arrived with two very long tables surrounding us. One had some very well behaved children but the other long table was a disaster. That table had about 25 people with approx 10 children at the end of the table right near us. Our night consisted of these kids sitting on the railing of the gazebo and hanging into our space, throwing things at each other, swinging purses at each other and they almost hit us, chasing each other around the tree, taking ice from the ice bucket and "wiping it" at each other, yelling- I could go on and on. Not one parent said a word to them. It was disgusting. We spoke to management after our evening and kudos to MJ they are going to make it up to us.

On a side note, two men from this table got up to smoke a cigarette and not wanting to disturb their table with the smoke came and stood by us to smoke. We asked them to move.

Looking forward to next December's visit to MJ but I think we will stick to the regular outside table in the future.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    unruly children in restaurants and ignorant parents........
    can be a whole category!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    One other item I would like to mention is our visit to Madame Janettes but rather how it relates to parents and children in restaurants.

We went to MJ on our last night, two families and we booked months ago the gazebo. Since we are usually 10 ppl, we never have the opportunity to dine in the gazebo so we were so excited for this. We arrived with two very long tables surrounding us. One had some very well behaved children but the other long table was a disaster. That table had about 25 people with approx 10 children at the end of the table right near us. Our night consisted of these kids sitting on the railing of the gazebo and hanging into our space, throwing things at each other, swinging purses at each other and they almost hit us, chasing each other around the tree, taking ice from the ice bucket and "wiping it" at each other, yelling- I could go on and on. Not one parent said a word to them. It was disgusting. We spoke to management after our evening and kudos to MJ they are going to make it up to us.

On a side note, two men from this table got up to smoke a cigarette and not wanting to disturb their table with the smoke came and stood by us to smoke. We asked them to move.

Looking forward to next December's visit to MJ but I think we will stick to the regular outside table in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    unruly children in restaurants and ignorant parents........
    can be a whole category!!!

You are so right!!!

Moomba Beach, Eagle Beach - just about anywhere I can wiggle my toes in the sand and enjoy an ice cold Bright
    Randi thanks for sharing your trip report with us. I hope to actually do one when I get back from my trip in February.

My answer for unruly children anywhere is to ask them where their parents are . . . when they tell me I tell them to go find them or go back to them. Don't get me wrong I love kids but will not for any reason put up with someone else’s poorly behaved children. I have in the past walked a child back to his/her parent stating that I wasn't responsible for watching them and telling them what their behavior to warrant this was. Snarky I know but I (like all of you) work hard to be able to afford my night out/vacation or any other activity to have it infringed upon by someone else’s behavior young or old.

Stepping off my soap box now. :-)

By the way, I really like the way you presented your trip report. I will try my best write my as clearly as yours is. . .

Thank you!

As for the parents, they were sitting with them at the same table.