Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance Ocean Suites - Trip Report Day 1 & 2 - 7/11 & 7/12

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I wouldn't count on a guaranteed room # from interval. Sorry to disappoint you, there are no gurarantee's at the front desk unless you OWN that unit.
    Whatever you get you will love it....AHHH

Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
    Hi Mel,
    Here a pic of Renaissance unit #539
    But don't forget Interval exchange don't always end up with the given unit number...

If you do get 2539 or nearby, it is pool view, 5th (top) floor, high enough to see the ocean and sunrise. If you really want to see sunsets, request the other side, they will almost certainly accomodate you. Best rooms that side (all even numbers (are 2538, 2540, 2542, 2544)
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Tuesday - July 15th - Nail in the Tire day -- HA

Is it Tuesday already??? Wow time is flying by quickly here. So as usual, we ate breakfast in the room and it is nice since the hubby and I can enjoy our favorite coffee while the girls watch cartoons and we relax.

We were off this morning in the jeep for our 'adventures'. We were planning on hitting the gold mine ruins, alto church, & the lighthouse.... but... after about 1 hour driving around LOL of course we were lost and hubby didn't want to pull over anywhere and ask for directions. We thought surely we can just drive 'north' and we will hit it (leaving the renaissance) I mean the island isn't that wide -- only 6 miles or so.. sigh --- so we were driving in circles.. but we actually really enjoyed the drive. Took some neat pictures of flamboyan trees (thats what we call them in PR -- red flowering trees). We saw a sign for Natural pool so we followed that sign until we finally saw a big pink bus. Following that bus, we stopped at the Ayo Rock Formations and then took off again behind it and went the 'back way' to the gold mine ruins. The toddler was fast asleep in the jeep and we had it all opened up (note, I was leary of doing this but the seatbelts are so difficult even for us to unclick that there is no way out little magician would unbuckle this one). The ruins were really neat. The 5 yr old loved climbing all thru it and it was SO nice to have the place all to ourselves since there was currently no tours coming thru it. I must admit I LOVED doing the tour ourselves in the jeep. When we were done, we headed towards the Alto Church via the crazy 'road' more like trail on side of the beach. The girls thought we were at a rollercoaster and had their hands up the entire time. Mind you, my husband is very Texan and loves driving in 4 wheel drive so he felt at home and loved it --- but it was a bit bumpy for me. Definatley do not recommend anyone that is going through morning sickness or pregnant or gets dizzy in general to do that route. We finally made it to the Alto Church ; ( there were several tours at the time. However, the church was so beautiful and to think it is so old and has been kept up so nice. When we returned to the car, my hubby being the worry wart he is was checking all the tires after our 4x4 drive to the church. Sure enough he gave me an 'I told you so' look... there was a nail in the back left tire and it was seeping air -- of course. We picked up the free cell phone from Aruba Royal and quickly got back in the car to attempt to make it to the palm beach area since the air wasn't seeming too quickly. We made it to Salt & Pepper restaurant and the rep. from Aruba Royal said he would be there immediately with a mechanic to change the tire while we had lunch.

YUM! Salt & Pepper was delicious for a small light fare lunch. The 5yr old really liked her Kruquet & fries and the toddler nibbled the chicken & pasta. The hubby and I shared coconut shrimp tapas, mahi mahi sandwhich and club sandwhich -- which was wierd as it had eggs in it... overall, delicious. The Sangria was nice and cold and fruity. Very good! By mid meal, the Aruba Royal rep & mechanic had arrived, changed the tire and apologized for the problem -- which really turned out to be no inconvenience.

We returned to hotel and swam at the pool for a bit, but it looked like weather was coming soon so we came in for girls to take a nap. The nap was wonderful ... and much needed. We had reservations for dinner rather early so girls needed to go down.

5pm came quickly and we had dinner reservations at 530pm at the Flying Fishbone. Yes, we are the crazy parents that really wanted to go to dinner there and wouldn't consider the baby sitting option. I just don't trust my babies with strangers. Anyways, we brought the 'plane toys' and it was actually perfect. We were there early enough and had a great oceanfront table. The 5yr old giggled that we were having a picnic and the 2 year old played with her magnet book almost the entire time. The other thing I wanted to mention -- on their website -- they mention stongly advising against kids -- but they had highchairs, booster seats and even kids menus (even though website said they didn't). The hubby and I had 2 beers, iced tea, 1 bottle Pino Grigio wine, Baracuda entree (catch of day #2), Mahi Mahi entree (catch of day #1), kids shrimp pasta, kids alfredo pasta.... The total for the meal with taxes and tip was $180. It was well worth it. (I mention the price since a lot of people that are new to forum are asking budget questions). Anyways, love love loved dinner and took great pictures with the girls. The staff was friendly and took several pictures. Mind you the kids were also very well behaved (believe nap had everything to do with it as well as toys). I would recommend it to other families -- just go early.

Anyways, we returned and are turning in early as dad & the 5yr old are doing the TomCar baby beach tour tomorrow morning while mom and toddler play at Renaissance island....

Again, thanks for all your feedback and feel free to ask any questions!

More tomorrow --- Coqui

Coqui, thanks so much for your daily reports. You are to funny, and I really get a hoot out of your writting.
    Enjoy the rest of your vacation, it sounds like you are loving it there ! cindyo

Thank again, already looking for tomorrow posting...

coqui,

Well first let me say, thank-you for taking the time and writing everyday. I enjoy reading your everyday stories, I had to laugh, when I read your Aladin story " out of the mouth of babes "
    Are you finding your way around a little better now? Anyway, keep the chapters coming

Wednesday - July 16th - Tomcar Tour

Today was a 'split' day. Dad and the 5yr old went on a Tomcar Tour through Rancho Notorious. My husband booked it through the hotel (ren. ocean suites) however, the tour bus never picked them up. The bus was supposed to pick up at 830am and by 850 I was suspicious and the Linda at the consierge (sp?) desk called them -- they 'claimed' the bus had come by but of course it never did as they said just to take a taxi.... they did and rancho notorious picked up the tab. After that hiccup, all went smoothly. My husband had so much fun on the trip that he is actually wanting to do it again this trip! My 5 yr old's favorite part was 'going really really fast' as well as the caves because there was 1 bat in there.

I took the toddler out to Renaissance island. We had such great mommy and me time. Still, the family favorite spot on the island is the back area just in front of the rocks as it is very shallow and the water waves comes through there. Jorge was wonderful as always. After playing in beach and sand a few hours we took a nice nap on the hammock under palm trees. What a great breeze.

We returned to the hotel room and were all smiles as we ran into dad and sister coming in at same time! HA! We put the girls down for a nap as is now our 'routine' and then headed back out for a little bit more of renaissance island.

For dinner, we walked over to Casa Tua as many of you suggested. The pizza was reasonably priced and very tasty. We still spent $100 -- 2 pitchers sangria, 2 side salads, 2 pizzas (recommend the Hawaiian but not so much the One Happy Island pizza) and one of the dinner specials - grilled chicken brest (delicious!!).

As a side note, there were a few posts describing 'fast' boat drivers when transporting passengers to and from renaissance island.... this so far has not been the case for us at all. All the drivers have been very curtious and drive very slowly in wake zone and in the in between section they do drive a bit faster but never unsafe.

Timeshare side notes, I just wanted to mention how wonderful this unit is. Although there is not a dishwasher nor washer/dryers in the unit -- there is daily maid service for no extra fee (like most places we exchange at). This is very nice. Usually, we also get a once a week towel/sheets exchange. At the renaissance ocean suites they change out the towels daily and make the bed daily as well. I feel like this is the best of both worlds -- timeshare + delux hotel room.

Thats all for now --- more tomorrow!
    Coqui

Another perfect day for you ...keep the reports coming.
    Boat driver, Jorges, is the best one. (Some, have had to have an attitude adjustment over the years, but now are better)Jorges loves our kids, and gets so excited when we arrive for our 2 wk stay. His son is in boston, and we are all too!
    Try staying late, till the 6:45 boat, and see the beautiful sunset over the hamocks and honey moon hut. It is an unbelievable photo op. Just gotta find someone to take the pics of you. However, don't miss the boat back....
    Last edited by cindyo; 07-17-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coqui View Post

I took the toddler out to Renaissance island. We had such great mommy and me time. Still, the family favorite spot on the island is the back area just in front of the rocks as it is very shallow and the water waves comes through there. Jorge was wonderful as always. After playing in beach and sand a few hours we took a nice nap on the hammock under palm trees. What a great breeze.
    It sounds like your favorite spot is the same as ours.We float in tubes out there all of the time. Since we use "Tubes" Cindyo has named it "Tuba Aruba". Feel free to use and enjoy OUR spot!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Love your trip notes (Thanks ArubaLisa for pointing me here)
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast