Aruba Beach
Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By ArubaChip
  • 2 Post By paulmorin
  • 2 Post By rpumpire

Thread: Renaissance trip report

Renaissance trip report

Just came back from another wonderful trip to Aruba and the Renaissance Ocean Suites from April 5-12.

I flew from Pittsburgh to Charlotte on Friday, April 5. The flight from Charlotte to Aruba was delayed more than three hours. First, it was a ďmechanical problemĒ with the plane. Then we had to wait for a new flight crew to arrive. I felt sorry for those at the Aruba airport waiting for our plane to take them back to Charlotte, as Iím sure that most of them missed their plane connections in Charlotte.

There is some renovation work going on outside at the Aruba airport. So, if you need to get a taxi, they arenít available at the usual place as of now. Instead, when you leave the luggage area and Aruba customs, you need to make a left down the hallway and use the door at that end.

The weather in Aruba was great the whole week. A bit more wind than usual, but lots of sunshine. Only had about a half-hour of cloudy skies/sprinkles on Thursday, April 11.

One of the great things about the Renaissance is that it seems most of the staff at the private island and pool bar have been working there for many years. As one of the staff who greeted me by name told me, ďItís like youíre part of our family!Ē That being said, Iíve never really gotten to know the housekeepers, but perhaps they alternate cleaning assignments. Also, the staff at the registration desk seems to change a lot. Perhaps young trainees are given their start there and then move on.

Itís also nice to see most of the same guys as boat drivers to the private island. However, I was sad to learn that George is no longer working as a Renaissance boat driver. He was always so much fun, and had a lot of energy! And a younger guy named John who was always pleasant also no longer works there as a boat driver.

I didnít attend the weekly timeshare meeting. However, I spoke to a person who did. He mentioned that Brian said the room renovations will begin in the slow season (of 2014, I presume), but didnít give specific dates. Nor was a specific assessment amount mentioned.

I made sure to get to the Aruba airport three hours ahead of my flight time when I left on Friday, April 12, as I was concerned about some of the postings that Iíve read on this board and others about possible reductions in the number of U.S. customs agents. However, there were five custom stations open, and the customs room was only about one-third full when I got there. It only took me about one-half hour from the time I arrived at the airport to the time I got to the gate! But I wouldnít take any chances if I were you, as one never knows how long the process will take. The previous time I was in Aruba, the customs room line was spilling out into the luggage area!

So, I had two-and-a-half hours to waste at the airport. The airport slots parlors were closed, so I saved some money! And my flight left at 5:00 instead of 4:40, so that wasnít too bad of a delay. Arrived in Charlotte with plenty of time to catch my flight back to Pittsburgh.

Looking forward to my next trip!

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for posting your review.

my observations re: the front desk staff is about the same as yours. they seem young and then maybe move on to other positions in the company?
    i am surprised to hear that george the boat driver is gone. he has been there for a long time.

thanks for telling us of your experience of going thru US CUSTOMS and how the line was not terribly too bad.

i wonder why the slot parlors were closed?

thank you for posting!

did you have any good restaurant experiences?

Enjoyed your report. I always find it interesting to read about where people stay. My BIL and SIL always stay at the Renaissance while we always stay at the Divi. The idea of the private island is kind of cool, and there are plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance. One of these trips we'll need to experience another area of the island.

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    my cousin returned yesterday and allowed 3 1/2 hrs for a 4pm flight. sidewalk to gate took only 30 min. there were 8 us customs open. Apparently someone has listened !!!!

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    sounds like a great trip. i am happy to hear the airport departing was not bad hopefully things are improving. i always fly out of charlotte to aruba never had a delay, 3 hrs. wow! just happy you were able to still get to aruba the same day, a delay is better than missing a whole day. thanks for your report.

I had a similar experience at the airport on Sunday, April 14. It was the quickest trip through the process that I have experienced in my 19 visits to Aruba -- just a bit over 30 minutes from curb to gate.

Aruba since 1979
    excellent!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    I had a similar experience at the airport on Sunday, April 14. It was the quickest trip through the process that I have experienced in my 19 visits to Aruba -- just a bit over 30 minutes from curb to gate.

Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about George, he was a super nice guy and always let my kids take the helm while on the open water! I know that his brother owned a few charter fishing boats at the marina there- perhaps he's working with him now? Looking forward to our trip in July!