Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rob O's Vacation Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    Thanks!

My nephew was particularly upset with Gianni's. 10 of us went at his strong recommendation, and he was thoroughly embarassed. I never had seen him lose his cool....but Gianni's manager did.

This is exactly what I said in my review of Gianni's in March. Since I am at Palm Beach it is one of the restaurants that we like to walk too but I think next year we will try Azurre on many people's recommendations (I know same owner). Too bad as it is a lovely spot.

As far as downtown, our favourite place is Giorano! Best t-shirts ever and only $8!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Rob & Randi, it amazes me that this place stays in business. There are many similar complaints.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Lisa, You had to see the place, it was packed. After that visit we won't be back.
    That parm wheel that they roll around sure looked good, but the $84 worth of pasta that came out of it tasted the same as those 1.39 pouches you can buy from pasta-roni.
    We were SO DISAPPOINTED! Two hours later after we arrived we were ready to eat the table. Water glasses weren't filled, bread non-exsistant, waiter off to the far winds with that parm wheel. SO Sorry to give it a bad review, but hey, save someone else that kind of aggravation and $$$$$.

These are the excerpts from my postings about our last experiences at Gianni's...
    POSTED ON FEB. 23RD:

Went for groceries and then went to Gianni's for dinner. We love Gianni's and we had a very good dinner, outstanding actually, but they must get their act together and I will actually send them an email as if they don't work out some of their kinks they will be the master of their eventual undoing!
    I called at 5pm to see if we could get a reservation for dinner and were told that we could come at 8:30pm. Although that was a little late since we were up at 5am, we took the reservation. We arrived to see a very long line at the front desk. People were in line for checking in and to see if there was anything available. The problem was that the maitre de was checking in each person and then walking them over to their table, which took up too much time. They should have checked in the people and then passed them off to someone else? There were a few people that said they had reservations but their name was not on the list (I know sometimes people say this to get in) but one man had the reservation email on hand. He was offered an inside table although his reservation had clearly stated outside. People were waiting for tables who had no reservation but how could they possibly know if they had space when they were so behind in seeing who was showing up for their reservations!!
    Of course, when we got to the front of the line they had no record of my reservation, it was know 8:45pm and I was not happy as they told me I was going to have to wait.
    I went over to the manager and explained, politely, the situation and was annoyed by what had just transpired. I told him that and we would have gone elsewhere when we called if they couldn't have accomodated us and gone earlier too. We got a table 5 minutes later.
    Sat down and was greeted by a waiter who was quite knowledable but seemed to be more interested in what was going on at all the tables around him. He forgot to ask us if we wanted any drinks, which we didn't, so no big deal. We were four people and while he was taking our order, he twice looked away and was watching something while we were talking???
    All said, the meal was amazing. We have been to Gianni's numerous times and this has never happened before so I will give them a mulligan on service. We are going back there on March 5ht so we will see....

POSTED ON MARCH 22
    Went to Gianni's again, actually third time during this trip. I really don't know what to make of them? Food was good but service...
    Arrived ten minutes before my reservation and of course, they didn't have it. That is three reservations and they only had one that I made via email. The other two were made by phone (one by me and the other via the concierge). I don't know if they rarely mark the phone reservations down but it is not a good situation. Many arrive with reservations and have the printed confirmations and they don't have it marked down?? Again, you need to wait as the hostess takes each person directly to their table so the whole process takes so much longer than necessary.
    We were seated outside under the absent front canopy. Noticing that the front canopy was not closed I asked to sit closer in but was refused as the area under the canopy closer to the building but it is reserved for large parties (there were empty areas available). Tables of two must sit at the edge by the sidewalk. After 1/3 of the way through our meal it got very windy and I was cold. Asked if the canopy could be closed over and was told it was broken and then told by someone else that people want to sit outside don't like having the canopy over them??? Broken story more believable. Generally, service was slow but there were lots of people running around doing, well, not really sure!!
    The ambiance is very nice at Gianni's and the food is great but my frustration with this place is rising. I think I may try Azzura next trip. I know it is the same owner but perhaps it is run a little better?? (read in another thread that the old manager is back so I will check that out). I am going to email the owner with my comments eventually.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Thank you for the pointers Rob O...... I will keep all these things in mind while there!
    Yachting Summer 2011 .... Mainship Sedan Bridge "Knot Geezers"
    Surf Club Aruba
    Delray Beach
    Fort Lauderdale
    Ocean & Surf Clubs Aruba

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12