Aruba Beach

Thread: Snowbirdbilly trip report

Banned

Snowbirdbilly trip report

I was recently on the island in August also with a couple buddies of mine. We stayed up at Palm Beach and traveled around the island a bit as usual. You start getting bored laying on the beach after a few days so we rented a car to see any changes around the island. We did the typical trips to all the locations of course - natural pool, etc. We did pass through San Nicholas a few times - three times during the day and 1-2 times at night. We stopped into Charlie's Bar. I wanted to give people an update. San Nicholas is totally and completely DEAD of activity. When at Charlie's Bar we were the only ones in there 3 of the 4 times. Also, 3 nights in a row on a Thursday - Saturday night by 6:30pm the place was totally closed up for the night! There was little if any activity on the street. I did not even see the typical wineos who we all know and love, LOL. So we stopped in to Charlie's during the day to see what the story was... Cornelius tried to keep a good face. We asked him how business has been since the Refinery closed two years ago? He claimed that there was no difference at all. Now granted, August is the low season - but we have been to Aruba/San Nicholas in several other Augusts before - but never saw it this DEAD. Obviously my guy friends and I were in the market for some fun of a safe sex nature. We were extremely disappointed and so we wanted to warn others not to waste your time and money, etc. The place is literally a ghost town! We tried to get Cornelius to admit it was slow/dead but he would not budge. He kept saying it was "low season." Then another gentleman showed up who appeared to be the owner? He was a shorter, fat, bald, rolly-polly man who hand rolled his own cigarattes. We were not sure if he used tobacco or something else, lol. Anyway, he did not try to save face - he spoke like it is. "This goddam town has been dead since the Refinery closed. I have to close up at 6:30 pm most nights because I am the only one here! No one is making any money in San Nicholas except the goddam whores!" Just then a couple young ladies walked by the bar and he looked at them, continuing to vent his frustrations. "Goddam it, San Nicholas has the deepest nature harbor in the entire Caribbean - its so deep they could bring the new super tankers in here!" he said. When I asked him why they did not do this --- he vented angrily,"...its the damn special interest. The people who hire the whores make so much money even in a down season that they don't want anyone else coming in and taking over San Nicholas. They pay the politicians to not touch San Nicholas.... then we all sit here and make no money goddam it!" We finished up our beers and left. We were on vacation and were looking for fun - not wanting to hear his bald guy bitch and complain!!! Cornelius did admit at that point though - that everything the bald guy said was true...

Needless to say he was very bitter. Just an update for others on San Nicholas!!! Let me know if you had any similar experiences recently?

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum?

Quote Originally Posted by snowbirdbilly View Post
    I was recently on the island in August also with a couple buddies of mine. We stayed up at Palm Beach and traveled around the island a bit as usual. You start getting bored laying on the beach after a few days so we rented a car to see any changes around the island. We did the typical trips to all the locations of course - natural pool, etc. We did pass through San Nicholas a few times - three times during the day and 1-2 times at night. We stopped into Charlie's Bar. I wanted to give people an update. San Nicholas is totally and completely DEAD of activity. When at Charlie's Bar we were the only ones in there 3 of the 4 times. Also, 3 nights in a row on a Thursday - Saturday night by 6:30pm the place was totally closed up for the night! There was little if any activity on the street. I did not even see the typical wineos who we all know and love, LOL. So we stopped in to Charlie's during the day to see what the story was... Cornelius tried to keep a good face. We asked him how business has been since the Refinery closed two years ago? He claimed that there was no difference at all. Now granted, August is the low season - but we have been to Aruba/San Nicholas in several other Augusts before - but never saw it this DEAD. Obviously my guy friends and I were in the market for some fun of a safe sex nature. We were extremely disappointed and so we wanted to warn others not to waste your time and money, etc. The place is literally a ghost town! We tried to get Cornelius to admit it was slow/dead but he would not budge. He kept saying it was "low season." Then another gentleman showed up who appeared to be the owner? He was a shorter, fat, bald, rolly-polly man who hand rolled his own cigarattes. We were not sure if he used tobacco or something else, lol. Anyway, he did not try to save face - he spoke like it is. "This goddam town has been dead since the Refinery closed. I have to close up at 6:30 pm most nights because I am the only one here! No one is making any money in San Nicholas except the goddam whores!" Just then a couple young ladies walked by the bar and he looked at them, continuing to vent his frustrations. "Goddam it, San Nicholas has the deepest nature harbor in the entire Caribbean - its so deep they could bring the new super tankers in here!" he said. When I asked him why they did not do this --- he vented angrily,"...its the damn special interest. The people who hire the whores make so much money even in a down season that they don't want anyone else coming in and taking over San Nicholas. They pay the politicians to not touch San Nicholas.... then we all sit here and make no money goddam it!" We finished up our beers and left. We were on vacation and were looking for fun - not wanting to hear his bald guy bitch and complain!!! Cornelius did admit at that point though - that everything the bald guy said was true...

Needless to say he was very bitter. Just an update for others on San Nicholas!!! Let me know if you had any similar experiences recently?

Banned
    Thank you