Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So far...

So far...

...so good. Mrs. 44 and I arrived on-island yesterday.

Flight was excellent and my hat's off to American Airlines pilot and crew. There was a minor medical emergency on the first flight, but they dealt with that and we continued on our way. Smooth, on-time.

A bit of a wait at Aruba immigration because the American flight in from Miami now arrives around 2:20 in the afternoon or so, behind a few others. Still, this was about 1/2 hour and we were off. (Note to Aruba homeowners: Keep your notary paper with you showing ownership of your home. This helps the immigration officer through the process.)

Got the shack opened up. Musty. Needs a thorough cleaning which is now underway. Hit Ling and Sons to stock the pantry. On the drive, noted that the island is a bit less green now, which is the way Aruba "normally" looks for me. However, will be on the road more in a day or two, checking on things and will have a better survey then.

Decided to eat at the Sultan. Excellent. Then went for a walk along the hotel strip. There were plenty of people about, some restaurants full, some hotel lobbies busy. Not jammed, but seemingly well traveled for this time of the year.

Back to cleaning and such today in anticipation of a Charlie's Bar rendezvous.

I will be updating my blog with various Aruba material in a day or so and will also give some reviews and such here.

Bon dia!

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

North Side of the island, we spend a day there alone and maybe see 4 people.
    Glad you made it! We have 44 more days till happiness ourselves. I tried Borders in the Phoenix, AZ airport to purchase your book just by chance but no luck.

I am not familar with The Sultan? Can you tell me more?
    If you stop by Smokey Joe's could you ask if Manula ( Manuel) still works there for us? He bartended at Matthews and we spent time with his family and lost his contact info. I have been trying to find someone who might make contact with him before we arrive.
    Thanks!

Enjoy a cold one at Charlie's for us!

Unhappy

Glad your flight went smooth. We arrive in a little over a month on American, but the late flight (9:50 PM)

I will add a copy of our notary to my carry-on.

See you soon!!!!
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

CasaHappy,

Here is a direct link to photos and stuff on my blog: http://bentpage.wordpress.com/2008/0...ltan-in-aruba/

Enjoy.

Tom and Karen,

See you guys soon. The notary paper, just the signed page with the house number on it.

Last edited by SanNic44; 08-05-2009 at 08:16 AM.

SanNic, Glad you made it safe and sound...assuming you will be there when we get there in November???? Will have to have drink somewhere...
    PS please refresh my memory with the title of your new book, would like to get it and bring it along for you to sign....thx...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

North Side of the island, we spend a day there alone and maybe see 4 people.
    You mention German food on your blog? Is there a special place with German food??

CasaHappy,

German food here in Aruba? I'm not sure.

DanaDog,

When are you due on-island? It looks like Mrs. 44 and I will be here for Thanksgiving through Christmas. The new book is "Bonk's Bar," like the real on in Port Richmond section of Philadelphia.

See you soon,

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    . The new book is "Bonk's Bar," like the real on in Port Richmond section of Philadelphia.See you soon,44

ooo thats around the corner from me- I will check this book out real soon.

How do you know bonks bar?

Serene,

Well, a block down Tioga Street from Bonk's is P.J. Dooling Tire Co. These guys are good friends of mine and we used to walk the block to Bonk's for refreshments. Still do when I'm in the Philadelphia Area.

Plus, Bonk's was one of the first books I finished but it sat around until I polished it up. It all started when I learned that John Bonk, Jr. was killed when the Marine Barracks was blown up in Lebanon in 1983. That was the kick-off for the original version. Now it has been moved forward to Iraq in the final.

Anyway...

Did the kids have a sister named Kathy? (or maybe Cathy with a C.

I grew up at Frankford and Tioga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast