Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: T.R.-Aruba Happy Rentals and Surf Club

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for explaining more of the situation.
    let people know the pros and cons.
    their customer service certainly in your case was lacking

i wonder if the owner of the house is aware that his rental co is not providing adequate service OR if he is aware and just does not care OR will not spend the $$ to have things corrected and/or property maintained??

sorry for your troubles, but glad you had an excellent 2nd week.

Quote Originally Posted by izzydoesit View Post
    On Sunday I emailed the rental company telling them that the pool pump was burned out as the water was starting to get dirty. Also told them that the bed frame of the king bed in the downstairs bedroom was broken. This is where my sister was going to sleep but they ended up staying in the detached guest room which did not have hot water. We tried to get them to take the master bedroom up stairs but they did not want that since the bath was in the same room and she is an early riser and her husband is not. Also the door handle of the common bathroom kept coming off as well as the hot water handle in the shower. They replied that day and said maintenance would be there tomorrow.

After waiting for someone to show on Monday I emailed them back asking when they would be there. A little while after that the guys showed up to clean the pool. No repairs.

On Wed another person showed up to replace the pool pump. Still no maintenance man.

And of course Friday was the the worst when we came back to water standing all over the pool deck as mentioned earlier. That one really burned us. Luckily my brother and I both have pools so we knew how to lower the water quickly. We also found a broken squeegy, handle and tape and made it all work to get the water off the deck. As stated, the owner did show up around 10:00 that night to check on things but we already had it taken care of just wanted to get on with our last night.

I still can not believe that neither lady apologized or said "I'm sorry for your troubles" when they came to check us out. This is one company that is all about money and could care less about satisfied customers. And I would be willing to bet that the repairs are still not made.

"i wonder if the owner of the house is aware that his rental co is not providing adequate service OR if he is aware and just does not care OR will not spend the $$ to have things corrected and/or property maintained??"

I doubt the owner knows any of it except for the pool pump. And I'm sure they don't know how the rental co is handling it. I'd give anything to find out who owns it so I could inform them of the happenings.

Sorry your experience was less than expected and the first timers had a disapointing view of my favorite vacation spot. I guess us returning visitors have all come to expect a certain standard and experience as we wane thorugh the months awaiting our return to Aruba. really stinks when it doesn't pan out to our hype and expectation.

how was the home's location, view and proximity to the beach?
    sound like you were dependant on a sub-par pool.
    RP

The house was close to the Texaco station by the roundabout which was not all that bad. We walked to eagle beach in a little over ten minutes for breakfast one morning. The pool was on the small side and there were no views to mention.

Aruba since 1979
    ... and i was thinking that maybe the owner did not "authorize" the rental company to do the repairs of the door handle and water faucet and or the bed frame?
    the rental co. can only do what the owner will allow, right?

had you made contact with the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    ... and i was thinking that maybe the owner did not "authorize" the rental company to do the repairs of the door handle and water faucet and or the bed frame?

The rental co will not give me the name of the owner. I wish they would as I would really like to talk to them.

Some additional thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

Hi Andrea,

I had mentioned in a seperate communication with "izzydoesit" that IMPUESTO....the Tax Office has all ownership details for both on island and foreign owners. This is public info and should be available.

As a vacation homeowner, this situation disturbs me. I would point out that there are 2 types of management that most of the companies offer....one is Rental management which involved the promotion of the property, booking the reservation and managing it. The second type is that of property management and often this is broken into different levels of service ranging from simple services such as visiting the property on a selected basis through to acting under a power of attorney to ensure repairs are done, bills paid, dealing with utility companies and generally acting on the owners behalf.

The rental company will generally not repair items but will report them to the owner who will then make a decision on whether to repair. If it is a minor item it may get defered and repaired with another item due to the cost of calling a handyman on the island. If it is a serious issue, generally the rental company will put the property on hold and not rent it out.

On the other hand a property manager will contact the owner with details of the issue and if applicable send a digital photo or 2. Upon appoval of a quote a go ahead is generally given by the property owner.

I MUST add that sometimes, even though approval is given, things may not happen immediately....this from experience.

When we rent out our vacation home, we are also concerned about the qualty of guest as much as they are concerned about the quality and condition of our home. We encourage all guests to check references before proceeding.....and most imprtantly to alway take trip insurance, even though they are not in a hotel or timeshare. So far we have only had one instance where a guest had to reschedule and use trip insurance and she and her party are returning.

I am sorry that "izzydoesit" had this experience. Be assured that the other vacation property owners I know on the island take great care of their properties. If AHR did not respond, it could be because of difficulties they may have with the owner and were unable to assist. The rental company does not get the full rental amount, only a percentage, and maybe that would not have covevred the expense.

Just my thoughts

John

Aruba since 1979
    All makes perfect sense.
    Glad you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Hi Andrea,

I had mentioned in a seperate communication with "izzydoesit" that IMPUESTO....the Tax Office has all ownership details for both on island and foreign owners. This is public info and should be available.

As a vacation homeowner, this situation disturbs me. I would point out that there are 2 types of management that most of the companies offer....one is Rental management which involved the promotion of the property, booking the reservation and managing it. The second type is that of property management and often this is broken into different levels of service ranging from simple services such as visiting the property on a selected basis through to acting under a power of attorney to ensure repairs are done, bills paid, dealing with utility companies and generally acting on the owners behalf.

The rental company will generally not repair items but will report them to the owner who will then make a decision on whether to repair. If it is a minor item it may get defered and repaired with another item due to the cost of calling a handyman on the island. If it is a serious issue, generally the rental company will put the property on hold and not rent it out.

On the other hand a property manager will contact the owner with details of the issue and if applicable send a digital photo or 2. Upon appoval of a quote a go ahead is generally given by the property owner.

I MUST add that sometimes, even though approval is given, things may not happen immediately....this from experience.

When we rent out our vacation home, we are also concerned about the qualty of guest as much as they are concerned about the quality and condition of our home. We encourage all guests to check references before proceeding.....and most imprtantly to alway take trip insurance, even though they are not in a hotel or timeshare. So far we have only had one instance where a guest had to reschedule and use trip insurance and she and her party are returning.

I am sorry that "izzydoesit" had this experience. Be assured that the other vacation property owners I know on the island take great care of their properties. If AHR did not respond, it could be because of difficulties they may have with the owner and were unable to assist. The rental company does not get the full rental amount, only a percentage, and maybe that would not have covevred the expense.

Just my thoughts

John

I did email IMPUESTO inquiring about the owner and have not heard back from them.

Moomba Beach, Eagle Beach - just about anywhere I can wiggle my toes in the sand and enjoy an ice cold Bright
    Izzy - if I may suggest another option for you if you should ever need it again - Oceania, in my opinion offers the best of both worlds. It's a gated condo complex with four pools and Eagle Beach right across the street. You can rent anything from a one bedroom to a four or five bedroom depending on your needs and budget. We have rented there from two different owners, one American and one Venezuelan with no communication issues between us and their property managers. Every issue we have ever had (all of them very minor) was taken care of as quickly as possible with little to no interruption to our vacation. I know that Oceania may not be an option for everyone but it's worth checking it out. We found our rentals on VRBO.com.

I'm glad that you and your family were able to make the best of a not so perfect situation. Safe travels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast