Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Tracey and Jon Nov 5-15

Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    For someone who was concerned about finding time to post.... you're doing a helluva job! Thanks for all the detail and the wonderful sharing you are doing. It's just like being there with you.
    Lol..my husband sleeps a lot more than I do on vacation so posting has been a breeze.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Day 7 a little exploring

How is it possible we have been here a week already? Thank goodness we have a few more days!
    Today we rented the Rhino side-by-side 2 person atv from George's Cycles. We called the day before and had no problem reserving two for our couples' adventure. This was one of my favorite days in Aruba so far. Georges Cycles was a nice,company to work with. They picked us up right on time. We headed to their office for,some quick paperwork. They gave us a map and some basic instructions and sent us on our way. A note if you want to rent these: Dont bother trying to rent just for a half day if you have atv experience and know you like riding. You will enjoy it and wont make it back in 4 hours. Just book the whole day for $50 more. The total cost was $200 per atv. Jon says driving them is more fun than just a regualar 4 wheel drive jeep or suv. They were fast enough to comfortably drive on the street too.
    We started at the lighthouse and worked our way around to San Nicolas. My favorite stop was the Baby Natural Bridge. This is a great setting for pictures, maybe even a trash the dress shoot for brides out there. The scenic coastline between the chapel and Natural Bridge,is,so pretty. I enjoyed being able to stop and get pictures. I will post a,few when we get home. We went through the National park but all agreed,not to risk the Natural Pool. It was a fun ride and the brief rain was a good thing to cool us off a bit. We checked out one of the caves too. We had never seen the Ayo Rock formations. I could see retuning there for a packed picnic or something but its really not that exciting. Speaking of eating, we had at a little restaurant outside the park but I dont know the name. We went to the same place on our abc jeep tour a,few years ago. We didnt reliaze it was the same until we had already ordered. I would have preferred to try somewhere new but the food was good and inexpensive. Four of us ate for less than $40 including 1 beer and 3 non alcoholic drinks. We went on to just rode around in the area near Club Arias just to see the other side of the island. We were all much more impressed with this excursion that our trip downtown the previous day. It was a lot of riding around and site seeing. My thoughts,on touring on your own is that I was really glad we had taken a guided tour first a few years ago. It gave me a better sense of,direction and I was able to share a few facts about what we were seeing at a few of the stops. I also knew what we could skip without wasting time and where a restroom was when we needed it. We still got turned around a few times, but never felt lost. Great day! Our first timer friends really,enjoyed seeing more of the,island too. My girlfriend doesnt really care much for atvs, but was really a trooper,and did say that the Rhinos made her much,more,comfortable than a 4 wheeler.

Upon returning to our hotel we took a little while to cool off and relax. Then Jon and I did an early dinner at Tango. I believe,it was,Burghboy who wrote,about this,place. Well thank you! They have an early bird menu but we opted for the regular menu and had Tenderloin churasco (sp?). It was an aregentian style steak and it was tender and delicious! The service was great and we loved our steaks. Price was reasonable, similar to steakhouses at,home for us. Our friends went later,and had a mixed grill plate and loved everything too.
    We,stopped by the Radisson's Tuesday night festival. The music sounded a bit like a marching band at times. We got a,nice hand,painted,Christmas tree ornament from one of the vendors. While the,friends went to dinner Jon and I decided,to listen to the,music from oir balcony,and finish up some of duty free purchases. The show was okay but I wouldnt go out , of my way for it. But if you are looking for a relaxing evening around the pool. This may be it. Just get there a little early, the tables filled up fast. The drinks are hotel prices so,sitting on our balcony made more sense for us.
    We made our nightly deposit at both the Radisoon and Hyatt. It was a pretty big it, but we thought it would be our last night in the high rise area, turns out its not, more on that in a second. We stopped,by Hard Rock to hear a little of the,live band but it was one we had already seen and they were repeating their same set so we didnt stay long.
    Back at the room at 11pm I ccheck my email to see that Jetsetter wrote back about my concerns with the AM reservation and smell. I sent an email the day before expressing my concerns and asking a number to call that wasnt toll free. Well they kindly took that as a request to cancel my reservation and they are,going,to issue a refund even though it was a nonrefundable reservation. Not sure yet if its a credit to my credit card or my Jetsetter account. I really would have,preferred to speak to someone rather,than doing this by email but its done now. I panicked a little when i got the email so late with no plan in place. As of now I dont know where we are staying tonight. I am waiting for the hotel reservations desk to open. If we can just stay in our current room for a reasonable rate we will. Its easier than moving. Otherwise it will probably be Holiday Inn. I,really wanted to try Eagle Beach but that smell was such a turn off and we both agree at this point we will just stay with what we know. We have been on the go a couple days, time to just,relax on the beach again.

For those who were following our planning, you may rememberwe were booked at first with Madi magical tours. About a week a week before our trip we received communication that she had an emergency and would not be availableand we could still tour with her daughter as our guide. For us, part of the tour was getting to meet Madi, based on reviews so,we opted not to go with anyone else. Later we found out she would be available but had already decided to change our plans. I am sorry it didnt work out, but I will say the communication and customer service was excellent. I will use them in the future for a Natural Pool visit.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 11-12-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    How is it possible we have been here a week already? Thank goodness we have a few more days!
    Back at the room at 11pm I ccheck my email to see that Jetsetter wrote back about my concerns with the AM reservation and smell. I sent an email the day before expressing my concerns and asking a number to call that wasnt toll free. Well they kindly took that as a request to cancel my reservation and they are,going,to issue a refund even though it was a nonrefundable reservation. Not sure yet if its a credit to my credit card or my Jetsetter account. I really would have,preferred to speak to someone rather,than doing this by email but its done now. I panicked a little when i got the email so late with no plan in place. As of now I dont know where we are staying tonight. I am waiting for the hotel reservations desk to open.
    Ugh. Too bad about the inept booking agent re your hotel... I just did a check on my laptop (I know you're trying to do all this on a tablet) and there's lots of availability through to the 15th. Good luck!

Aruba since 1979
    your ATV from george's sounds awesome

we have plans to go with a friend, ommi on his ATVs, but we have concerns about the bouncing....paul's back and my arthritic neck.
    how rough was it...lots of bouncing and roughness?

i am sorry to hear that Jetsetter took the cancellation "inquiry" as a definite cancellation.............that is interesting indeed.
    but, they did offer you a full refund and i do hope that you get to stay in the room that you are already in @ the Radisson.
    then again,the holiday inn "ain't so bad at all!"

yesterday we spent the better part of theday at Eagle beach in front of Lacabana and the stench was wafting over there too.
    the stench was the "talk of the beach".
    of all the times we stayed at lacabana and all the times we happy hour'd at Amsterdam Manor, never has it been as bad as these past few days.

your time is flying by.
    enjoy and post again when time permits!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    your ATV from george's sounds awesome

we have plans to go with a friend, ommi on his ATVs, but we have concerns about the bouncing....paul's back and my arthritic neck.
    how rough was it...lots of bouncing and roughness?
    There was some bouncing, I am not sure I would recommend it for a bad back. I asked Jon and he says it all depends on how you want to ride. If you take it slow it won't be as bad. My friend said she felt every bump. I think it depends on your atv experience, for a new rider you will feel the bumps. For an experienced rider, having to slow it down may be frustrating, but you coukd better judge what areas to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Ugh. Too bad about the inept booking agent re your hotel... I just did a check on my laptop (I know you're trying to do all this on a tablet) and there's lots of availability through to the 15th. Good luck!
    Thank you so much for checking! That is very kind. I am heading down now to take,care,of things.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks!

i think we are leaning towards passing on the "expedition"

good luck with your booking the extra days at the rad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    There was some bouncing, I am not sure I would recommend it for a bad back. I asked Jon and he says it all depends on how you want to ride. If you take it slow it won't be as bad. My friend said she felt every bump. I think it depends on your atv experience, for a new rider you will feel the bumps. For an experienced rider, having to slow it down may be frustrating, but you coukd better judge what areas to avoid.

It was probably best that they cancelled. You wouldn't want to spend the last few days of your vacation worrying about a stench that you can do nothing about. Hopefully, you don't have to move from your room and you va just go to the beach and relax!

Maybe a blessing they cancelled if the stench is still hanging around!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Hotel update, all set and good results

We just found out we can stay in our current room. The Radisson . has been very accommodating and are even letting us have the same discounted rate we originally booked. Now for a day of relaxing in the beach!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast