Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Trip 11/22 to 12/3

Divi Divi, yes it's Anita and she is still here. There are lots of new faces but a fair amount of old friends. Stay away from scrambled eggs though. They were gross, possibly powdered. If I want eggs I go to the station.

Ace, I don't mind if the palapas aren't close to the water. The exercise would do me good. Our plans keep changing but we plan to check it out before we leave the Divi. Adults only sounds good for our next trip

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    I don't know why it's always a hassle to get a cab from that area. When I used to dine at Cuba's cookin, I used to wait 30 minutes for a cab. By the way I was by the bucuti resort today. Actually I was next door at Manchebo pega pega grill for lunch. They make great tall frozen drinks and the lunch is good too. A very nice quiet resort but I noticed the palapas are not close to the water.
    The beach at Manchebo is so magnificent that we feel that it is worth the walk to the water. The palapas are so nicely spread apart that I feel like I've found a slice of heaven when we get to stay there, which isn't often any more.

The Divi has another wing under construction which will add 50 more rooms. So next year I imagine it will be even busier. I was talking to one of the staff saying I didn't think the breakfast buffet could handle the additional people. He told me that that they plan to open part of the Red Parrot in the morning and possibly add A continental breakfast at the Mexican restaurant.

While we are still enjoying our stay at the Divi we've decided it's no longer a good fit for us. The plan is to check out Manchebo and Bucuti. Hatteras, how are the restaurants at Manchebo?

So recap for today, Thanksgiving; we stayed on the beach until 2:30, The beach was being patrolled today by police on jet skies. Now that's something I've never seen. Lunch was just a light bite at the buffet. Saving room for Thanksgiving. Dinner at Quinta Del Carmen. As promised they have a turkey special. Also see Dutch Apple pie on the menu. (Cindy and CP Jones, if you're reading this I'm trusting you on this one)

we're trying not to make too many plans, preferring to go as the mood strikes us. There are restaurants I wanted to get to but then I keep changing my mind. One thing about Aruba it's real easy to get lazy!

You said it peg its easy to get lazy in Aruba! I was very tired and lazy at the beginning of my trip but now I feel energetic but I leave tomorrow. Originally I had reservations for QDC but Chalet Suisse is having a thanksgiving special and they are across the street from MVC so I cancelled QDC. Enjoy QDC and happy thanks giving.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Hi Peg, Manchebo has two restaurants. The bar also serves food at lunch time. French Steak House has been there for years. It is good, but not outstanding. Ike's Bistro opened a few years ago, replacing an Italian restaurant. It is very good. The bar is good for burgers, sandwiches, etc. for lunch. They do have a breakfast buffet, but we haven't had breakfast there for years. Manchebo offers an AI plan, but I don't recommend it since there are just two restaurants to choose from. As you know, there are a lot of other restaurants within walking distance. They do have a few children from time to time. Their pool is pretty small. Also, they often have a topless woman or two sunbathing, since they get some European visitors. They don't prance around the resort, but you might notice them lounging in the chairs. I saw one woman walking in and out of the water without her top a few times. That's just good to know so you won't be surprised. The rooms have all been renovated. The staff is wonderful. If you go over to check it out, I'm sure that the staff will show you one of the rooms, if any are available.

Are you thinking of going elsewhere because of the crowds and kids? I'm curious because we love the Divi but haven't been able to go the past couple of yeras as my boyfriend's daughter came to live with him so we need to travel school vacation week and it makes it double the usual price! I'm sure there are more kids because of Thanksgiving vacation and the Cyber deal. Could you go another week? We always went in March and never found it overly busy, but of course the last time we were able to go was 2012. Thank you for your trip reports. I'm living vicariously through everyone's reports until we can get back....hopefully in 2017 when she's off the college!

Morning all; it's Friday and day 5, we're half way through vacation. It really passes quickly.

Hatteras, thank you for all the Manchebo information. It definitely is an option we are considering.
    hockeymom, we have stayed at the Divi for the last 6 years on the same week. The last 3 were Cyber Monday deal. I understand they heavily marketed families. In the past we have enjoyed a quiet Morning breakfast. This year that is just impossible. I obviously don't want to come across like I don't like children as that's not the case. It's just that some parents feel if there are other adults around they don't have to watch them. We stayed here in May and it was a perfect balance of families and couples. So to answer your question, yes it's because there are so many children. I believe that families are their target audience and with the additional rooms. It will just be too crowded for us. We would like a more peaceful environment.

Ace, no wonder I didn't see you! I checked every time someone came in. Have a safe trip home!

Cindy and CP Jones, Quinta Del Carmen was perfect for a holiday dinner. The setting is lovely as were the staff.

Right now, it's off to the beach

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for taking the time and sharing your vacation with us.
    your comment about parents not parenting and expecting others to watch the kids is spot on!
    it is unfortunate as now it is causing you to look for a different place to stay next year.

have fun and we are all looking forward to hearing about QDC

Hi Andrea, I'm thinking I'll write up something about all restaurants towards the end of the trip. QDC is beautiful. The atmosphere is relaxing you might even say romantic; staff was attentive and genuinely friendly. Food is creative but not intimidating if that makes sense.

Wow, it seems like your vacation is flying by! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast