Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Trip Number five: 8th September to 15th September 2016

Trip Number five: 8th September to 15th September 2016

Prologue:
    Completed my last day of work before vacation with my sanity intact and within one piece, got through supervising an exam where everyone passed, and even scored a lift home with one of my co-workers who had always has her car radio tuned into one of my favorite radio stations. After getting dropped off at my stop I figured I would go to the bank to see about purchasing US currency for my trip to Aruba the following week. Forgot that it was end of the month and with school opening on Monday the bank was crammed with people, "Oh The Humanity!!" So i made an about turn, headed for home and figured that I would try on Monday morning, when it was not as crowded and when the tellers would still have US currency available.

Was originally hoping to spend two weeks on Aruba, however I can only get accommodation for one week, well one week is better than none!! And when I return I will still have another week off before I return to work. So here is how it's looking so far.

Yellow Fever Immunization: Curacao is on a list of countries where visitors need to have the Yellow Fever Vaccine , even transit passengers. For the last few months there was a rush at local health centers and regional medical offices to get the booster vaccine. Turns out, once you had the vaccine you are good, all you need to do is take your immunization card in to get it stamped and dated. Got it done on Monday and it took me less than five minutes, even managed to make it into work by 9:30 am.

Flight: Thursday evening with Insel Air departing Trinidad at 5:40 pm, arriving on Curacao at 6:50 pm. Departing Curacao via Insel at 9:00 pm and arriving on Aruba at 9:25 pm. This will be my fourth time landing at night. The other option where I could have gotten in earlier involved flying with Suriname Airways from Trinidad to Suriname and then from Suriname to Curacao and Curacao to Aruba. That ticket price was rated E for EXPENSIVE. And then there was the option to go with Copa Airlines, but that would involve going to Panama to fly back to Curacao, then Curacao to Aruba. Seriously?? My country is within the same region of the Caribbean as Aruba (Southern Caribbean), getting there should not involve an Odyssey to rival Ulysses in Homer's "The Illiad." Right now Insel is the best of the best in options and price.

Accommodations: The Aruba Marriot Surf Club, this will be my first time staying there and in the High Rise Area. Could not get La Cabana no matter how much we tried through Interval, sigh...maybe next year once planning is made long in advance. If anyone has ever stayed there i would like to get some feedback and suggestions on places to check out, eat, etc..

Things to do: No plans just as yet, my friend Darlene who lives on Aruba will still be on vacation from her job and will be able to meet up with me during the day before she has to pick up her kids from school, and depending on the day we may all do something together in the evening like go to the movies or dinner. Really looking forward to just relaxing after spending the last year and two months at my job waiting for this trip to finally roll around. Will post more as the day gets nearer and during the course of the trip. Stay tuned!!

Planning is part of the fun. The 8th will be here before you know it. Looking forward to some trip reports!

Aruba since 1979
    i think that you will like the Marriott Surf.
    it really is a lovely propery and the lazy river is FUN.
    their beach area, (IMO) not as nice as Eagle Beach or other areas of Palm Beach.
    you will be within a stone's throw of Moomba where the drinks are good and the food is somewhat mediocre, but palatable.

i know you are a walker, so a walk to Barneys on Palm Beach rd is about 15 min walk.
    (be careful )

Salt N Pepper is in palm beach area and great for dinner, as are MANY other places.
    Please visit the Culinary category.

I KNOW you are excited!

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    Prologue:
    Completed my last day of work before vacation with my sanity intact and within one piece, got through supervising an exam where everyone passed, and even scored a lift home with one of my co-workers who had always has her car radio tuned into one of my favorite radio stations. After getting dropped off at my stop I figured I would go to the bank to see about purchasing US currency for my trip to Aruba the following week. Forgot that it was end of the month and with school opening on Monday the bank was crammed with people, "Oh The Humanity!!" So i made an about turn, headed for home and figured that I would try on Monday morning, when it was not as crowded and when the tellers would still have US currency available.

Was originally hoping to spend two weeks on Aruba, however I can only get accommodation for one week, well one week is better than none!! And when I return I will still have another week off before I return to work. So here is how it's looking so far.

Yellow Fever Immunization: Curacao is on a list of countries where visitors need to have the Yellow Fever Vaccine , even transit passengers. For the last few months there was a rush at local health centers and regional medical offices to get the booster vaccine. Turns out, once you had the vaccine you are good, all you need to do is take your immunization card in to get it stamped and dated. Got it done on Monday and it took me less than five minutes, even managed to make it into work by 9:30 am.

Flight: Thursday evening with Insel Air departing Trinidad at 5:40 pm, arriving on Curacao at 6:50 pm. Departing Curacao via Insel at 9:00 pm and arriving on Aruba at 9:25 pm. This will be my fourth time landing at night. The other option where I could have gotten in earlier involved flying with Suriname Airways from Trinidad to Suriname and then from Suriname to Curacao and Curacao to Aruba. That ticket price was rated E for EXPENSIVE. And then there was the option to go with Copa Airlines, but that would involve going to Panama to fly back to Curacao, then Curacao to Aruba. Seriously?? My country is within the same region of the Caribbean as Aruba (Southern Caribbean), getting there should not involve an Odyssey to rival Ulysses in Homer's "The Illiad." Right now Insel is the best of the best in options and price.

Accommodations: The Aruba Marriot Surf Club, this will be my first time staying there and in the High Rise Area. Could not get La Cabana no matter how much we tried through Interval, sigh...maybe next year once planning is made long in advance. If anyone has ever stayed there i would like to get some feedback and suggestions on places to check out, eat, etc..

Things to do: No plans just as yet, my friend Darlene who lives on Aruba will still be on vacation from her job and will be able to meet up with me during the day before she has to pick up her kids from school, and depending on the day we may all do something together in the evening like go to the movies or dinner. Really looking forward to just relaxing after spending the last year and two months at my job waiting for this trip to finally roll around. Will post more as the day gets nearer and during the course of the trip. Stay tuned!!

Okay here goes. Along with Barney's, Bingo and Bavaria are in the same area. Also a little bit up the road is Local Store, awesome chicken wings. Salt and Pepper is in an area with Tango, and just down the street a ways is Casa Tua, great pizza, and across the road is Hard Rock, Tandoor and Chihuahua's. As Andrea mentioned, Moomba is on the beach, Pelican Nest is over the water and Carlito's serves great happy hour drinks. All are just a short walk from Surf Club. Also a walk down the beach will get you to Scott's Brats and Bugaloe. And many more. Hope you have a great trip, looking forward to reading your reports!

The 8th will be here so soon. Planning is so much fun.
    All of the restaurants Walt mentioned I wanted to visit.
    Safe travels and looking forward to your review.

Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    Don't forget about the BB happy hour at Amsterdam Manor's beach bar on the 12th. I'll be there and hopefully Burghboy and his microphone. PHOTO OP.

So exciting!! Relaxing vacation sounds awesome!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Safe travels and happy trip! Looking forward to your trip reports. Trying to imagine what it is like landing in Aruba during the night, both in the plane and airport. I am guessing airport must be empty which is a good thing.

Prologue Part 2:
    It's the night before my latest trip (#5) to Aruba. I figured that right about now on Thursday night (8:15 pm) I will be patiently sitting at the boarding gate waiting for boarding to commence. Can't believe that the 8th is almost here, I will still have a huge portion of the day to go through as check in time for my flight will not be till around 2:40 pm.

The last few days were taken up with helping my mother and step-father out with some of their projects around the house, in addition to fielding a couple calls from work with questions about one or two of the classes scheduled for this week and next week. Went down to the bank in Port of Spain on Monday to purchase US currency for the trip. In order to purchase said cash i had to walk with my trip itinerary as proof that I will be travelling and that I will need the money for such.

Managed to do some cleaning about my place and threw in a medium sized load of laundry before I begin packing later tonight. Was hoping to catch the weather report on One Caribbean News, as they normally have the forecast for all the islands, including the ABC islands. Unfortunately for the last two weeks its been off the air. Really hoping that our cable company (Columbus Communications: Flow) has not dropped it, would be a shame. It's the one channel where I can catch carnival coverage from both Aruba and Curacao in February/March. Fingers crossed that it's back when I return. Got my favorite Aruba T-shirt that I only wear when going out or when travelling to Aruba ready to go, still have to decide on which paperback novels to pack to pass time on the flight and while waiting in Curacao. I'll have my kindle with me, just don't want to run the battery down before I get there.

And speaking of Curacao, i have this funny feeling that my boarding gate is going to be right next to the gate for the flight to the Netherlands or Amsterdam tomorrow evening. Almost every time I find myself sitting among passengers on their way back and who for some reason want to have a conversation. It's a rather amusing sight, me with No Dutch and a smattering of French, German and some Spanish and a whole lot of sign language, trying to explain where Trinidad and Tobago is and what it's like in comparison to the ABC islands. Which reminds me, need to locate my notebook of Papiamento sometime tonight. Going to want to be prepared to use some phrases from the moment I step on the Insel flight tomorrow evening, while on Curacao and during my visit to Aruba. More to come, stay tuned.

Aruba since 1979
    Val..you are READY!
    Enjoy and relax.
    By this time tomorrow evening, I hope that you are all checked in to the SURF Club and sipping an ice cold beverage.
    Safe and easy travels friend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast