Aruba Beach

Thread: Trip Report 10/25-11/2

Trip Report 10/25-11/2

Hi all, we had a fantastic time, as usual! It didn’t start out that way though. We rented a car and got to LaCabana at 12:30pm which was earliest we have ever arrived, considering we were coming from Boston. We knew our room would not be ready so my husband, Mike, insisted on leaving our luggage in the rental…against my better judgment. Mike checked us in and we decided to go to the pool but we left the sunblock in the car. He went out to retrieve it but came back empty-handed, instead asking for the camera. Why you ask? Because our car was on fire!! Yup! The flames were out by the time we ran out there but it was a little messy to say the least. They had to break through the window to pop the hood, where the fire originated, due to the rental agency’s mistake of leaving a rag on top of the engine. While driving from the airport to LC we noticed a little bit of smoke but it really looked like dust from the ground or something and the windshield was not very clean so that didn’t help either. We had been up since 4:00am and were exhausted from the flight so we were not thinking all that clearly. I have to say though, LaCabana was absolutely wonderful in taking care of the situation, especially Abraham. They immediately called the rental agency and they met us there. The woman told me not to worry and that they would not “charge” us for the damage. That was actually the last thing I was worried about. We could have been in the car. In the end, the rental agency stepped up and brought us a new car within ½ hour and gave it to us free of charge. So it all ended ok.

Other than that, the weather was perfect and so was the food. Our best meal was at Madame Jeanette’s. Smokey Joe’s and El Gaucho were also delicious as usual. I wasn’t too crazy about Bingo however. Soprano’s was the best!!! We went there 2 different nights and had an awesome time. I can’t wait to go back there next year. Although we’ll be bringing our kids next year so we’ll have to look for babysitters.

We met so many new people and made great friends while we were there, especially at the pool. I even won $30, 2 frozen drinks and a “beautiful LaCabana t-shirt” at bingo. I can’t wait until next year to see everyone again. The only thing I missed was the happy hour at Amsterdam Manor, I lost track of time. Can not wait until next October!!

-Gretchen

WOW! What a horrible way to start a vacation.
    It is great to know that everything worked out so well and you had a terrific vacation.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Gretch, Holy cow..rental on fire...I thought you were gona lead into it by saying your stuff was stolen out of the car. Anyway, I hope all your belongings were ok and I am really glad to hear your vacation was good after all that hoopla. Memorable to say the least !!!
    cindyo

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    ...I thought you were gona lead into it by saying your stuff was stolen out of the car.
    Thank God no! And I forgot to say our luggage was ok, the suit cases smelled smokey but our clothes were ok. And just shattered glass on our sweatshirts. Either way, from now on I'm bringing our stuff inside.

Aruba since 1979
    holy cow what a story!
    you are fortunate indeed not to have been in the vehicle and also having your belongings left undamaged!

i am looking at your avator and I SAW YOU at lacabana brc.
    we were there from oct 22 - 30

glad that you had a wonderful vacation
    and you have a story to tell your grandchildren!
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am looking at your avator and I SAW YOU at lacabana brc.
    we were there from oct 22 - 30
    That's so funny you say that because I saw you too! I planned on introducing myself but then I lost sight of you. Then I saw you again getting on the elevator (sun-sun side of LC) but I couldn't get there in time with my wet flip-flops. Do you usually go that week? You saw the fat me , next year I plan on being thin . Yeah, right.

I hope you had a wonderful time!!

Aruba since 1979
    speaking of fat, it is amazing that you lost sight of me.
    (i am very hard to miss )

no, this was not our usual week.
    we really have no usual week.

we converted all of our fixed week units into bluegreen points and now typically go to aruba
    for a week or 2 in the winter, spring,and fall

we leave enough leftover bluegreen points to pay our maintenance fees

i am sorry that we did not meet.
    andrea j
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    That's so funny you say that because I saw you too! I planned on introducing myself but then I lost sight of you. Then I saw you again getting on the elevator (sun-sun side of LC) but I couldn't get there in time with my wet flip-flops. Do you usually go that week? You saw the fat me , next year I plan on being thin . Yeah, right.

I hope you had a wonderful time!!