Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Trip Report - Jan. 29 - Feb. 19

Aruba since 1979
    poor ruby and her poor boyfriend
    i hope that the vet can nurse her back to health.
    what has "sugar-kathy" been saying?

glad that you 2 are enjoying yourselves and hope that all works out with ruby and her health and her transport.

thanks for sharing

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    poor ruby and her poor boyfriend
    i hope that the vet can nurse her back to health.
    what has "sugar-kathy" been saying?

glad that you 2 are enjoying yourselves and hope that all works out with ruby and her health and her transp

thanks for sharing

Kathy said that she had never seen numbers this low.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    The days are just flying by, like they always do when we are here. A lot of our days have been spent taking care of the dog, Ruby, talking to other people on the beach about Ruby, trying to find someone to transport Ruby home, etc. My friend that is adopting her has spent the last few days of her vacation talking to people on the phone, taking Ruby to the vet, stressing about her health, trying to find her a way home, etc. She is going home today and has barely spent any time on the beach in the last few days. If you don't know about Ruby, I've started another thread titled, doggie needs a ride, where I'm discussing Ruby's progress. In short, we helped rescue a very sweet dog off of the beach. A friend of mine is adopting her. The vet said that she is so anemic from ticks that she wouldn't have lived another week if we hadn't gotten her to the vet. ARF is working with my friend and will help find her someone to help transport her to her forever home when she is healthy enough to go to her forever home. We had seen her with another dog on the beach a few times, and now he's looking for her. He came to our palapa yesterday, following her scent. We fed him and gave him some water, and then he took off. I don't know if he'll be back today. Hubby overslept this morning and someone had already claimed our palapa. I hope that they like dogs. That palapa has been dog central for 8 days.

We went to Chalet Suisse for dinner the other night. We shared the chateaubriand for two, which was cooked perfectly. Hubby also had the french onion soup. They make his favorite. Service was impeccable, as usual. They continue to impress us, visit after visit.

Last night, we went to La Terrazza at Paradise Beach Villas. I had garlic shrimp with shrimp risotto. It was delicious. Hubby had the grouper with lemon and capers and shrimp risotto. The grouper was fantastic. Service, not so great. We were one of the first people there because we had wanted to watch the sunset. Service was great at the beginning. The food came out quickly. Then they got busy. Mama and one other young lady were the only ones serving everyone. We couldn't get their attention for drink refills. Someone finally cleared our plates and brought us a dessert menu. We were going to share a dessert, but no one came back to us for about 20 minutes. By then, we just wanted the check. I had to flag someone down to ask for the check, and then waited close to another 20 minutes to get the check and pay. The restaurant has great potential, but I think that they are having growing pains. If she hires another server or two, things should be fine. We'll give them another try on our next visit. The food is great. If you go anytime soon, just go with island time in mind.
    You and your friend are true angels! I hope so much that all works out well for Ruby

*Yesterday was Carnival Sunday along with Super Bowl Sunday. Many local families camp for the weekend along Eagle Beach. Today is a holiday. A lot of them set up in the open area next to Costa Linda. There is a party atmosphere the whole weekend, with music and cookouts. Some of the guests get annoyed with it, but we enjoy observing the cultural differences. It is so nice to see families and friends come together and have fun. My hubby and I were joking about how we used to drive several hours to camp in the mountains with our kids. Here, they just drive a few minutes, since the island is so small. Some of our favorite memories are of those family camping trips. They have a church service on the beach every year, and set up a big tent. When we were walking, I saw some of the tourists sitting in the back. We didn't go up to it because we were in our bathing suits. Maybe next year, we'll attend. We have both done mission trips with our chuch in other countries, and we have special memories of worshipping with them.

Super Bowl 50 was a great time as always, even though our team lost. Costa Linda sets up several big screens in the bars and restaurants. Hubby usually goes down by 6:00 to claim a seat. This year, people starting claiming places around 4:00, so he jumped up from the beach and dashed up to the bar to get us a table. We took turns staying at the table until the game started. It wasn't bad because we had happy hour and then had dinner before the game started, so the time went by pretty fast. This is always a really awesome event. FYI - The game starts at 7:30 in Aruba so people were sitting in their seats 3 1/2 hours early.

I won't be able to get an update on Ruby before Tuesday because the vet is closed today.Her new owner went home yesterday, but she plans to call and check on her every day.
    Last edited by hatteras; 02-08-2016 at 08:32 PM.

It's always difficult for me to understand how tourists can get annoyed with local traditions or actions. Glad you had a great time with Super Bowl
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    i agree and understand fully.
    i dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    It's always difficult for me to understand how tourists can get annoyed with local traditions or actions. Glad you had a great time with Super Bowl

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    What a lovely experience to see the locals come together on the beach, celebrate and have that special family time. So glad you had great memories from your own camping trips to the mountains with your kids.

Please keep us updated on Ruby. How wonderful that your friend adopted her and will call daily to see how this sweet girl is doing. Ruby is on my prayer's list as well.

We spent yesterday driving around the island. We drove down to baby beach and just looked around. We hadn't been there in a few years and were curious about the changes. We stopped at Charlie's Bar and had a drink and spent some time talking with the bar tenders. We had never been there, and my husband has wanted to visit for years, after he read An Island Away and Under A Blue Flag. We then headed back to Savanetta, looking for Zeerovers. We stopped in a grocery store to ask for directions. A man in the store said the it was close by and that he would show us. I wasn't keen on following a stranger anywhere, and remarked to my hubby that we certain wouldn't follow a stranger anywhere at home. But this is a different culture, much more trusting and helpful. He pulled right into the Zeerovers parking lot and then waved good bye. Zeerovers was extremely crowded. We stood in line to order for 35 minutes. We almost gave up and called it quits twice. But we ended up sticking it out. We got a great table by the water and the food came quickly, once we were seated. I was prepared for what the shrimp would look like, fried with the shells and head. I only eat fried food on vacation. Once it was peeled, it didn't taste fried at all. We both liked it a lot. Hubby loved this place. I'm sure we'll be back many times.

Afterwards, we decided to drive up past Arashi. Traffic downtown was standing still, so we decided to try a Bully shortcut. We did well on several roads, but one road that I thought that we could turn on ended up being a one way street, so we ended up having to merge back into the traffic on the main street. We road up past the lighthouse, which is covered in scaffolding. We stopped at all of the northern (I guess that they are technically southern beaches). It always feels like we are driving north when we go up there.

Dinner last night was at Barneys. They've opened a new room, which gives them a lot more space. I had the parmesan grouper. It was just as delicious as I remembered. Hubby had ribs. They are our favorite ribs on the island. A great meal, and I'm sure that we will be back next time.

An update on Ruby - They won't be checking her blood levels for a few more days, but she has so much more energy already. She seems to be getting much better.
    Last edited by hatteras; 02-10-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Yesterday sounds like a fun day. We have yet to make it to Charlie's or Zeerovers. Some day I guess. The last time we were at Barneys we also ordered the Parmesan grouper and ribs. Now I want to go back.

Good news on Ruby's progress!

Ditto Peg's post!

I still haven't been to Charlie's or Barneys! It's funny how we forget how we normally handle ourselves. NEVER would you follow a stranger at home, but in Aruba you would and can, but our US personality kicks in and you get that quick fearful "Is this really what I should be doing?"
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast