Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trip report June 11 2010 (long)

trip report June 11 2010 (long)

Trip report Aruba Tam June 11, 2010

Day one: Boston to Logan airport
    Took P-B bus from Cape to Logan; uneventful. Took non-stop flight from jet Blue.
    Arrived in Aruba, Customs went quickly, luggage arrival quick
    Found DePalm bus, bus was cool and we were the second stop. Check in was quick and we were in room 2107. I had emailed the Tam and requested a King sized room, on first floor and within the 1900-2500 blocks. So, my request was granted.
    First thing we did was get a drink. We were unable to get reservations at the time we wanted for dinner (there was a 9:300 one open). We ate at the Divi buffet and thought it was good. Once we arrived; we did make reservations for sat and Sun nights (6pm).
    Room 2107 was perfect, clean and comfortable. The room is not a 4 star hotel, but the ocean was right there. Plenty of closet space, hangers, hair dryer, Iron and Ironing board. Walled the beach during the night. The room was close enough to the Bunker Bar, but far enough away from the crowd. We found this section to be less crowded and the further down you went, the less people we saw.
    Our section was the “quiet zone.” So quiet and peaceful. Speaking of the room and 2100 block section. We did not need to grab umbrellas; there seemed to be many left at even 10 am. However, what we did was take two lounge chairs and place them on our patio. Because since we were on the first floor, we had the floor of the second floor to act as our shade.
    Day 2: Saturday
    Tried to get coffee at Bunker bar, but the staff forgot to load the coffee maker. So, we did not realize that there is another coffee station near the buffet. We ate breakfast at the Tam buffet and had no problem. We ordered eggs to order and they were fine. The staff was always clearing the plates and making sure everyone had what they wanted. The one thing that I did not like which where the Tam and divi differ are the birds. The Tam is wide open; where as the buffet at the Divi did have some indoor seating. The birds are always walking all over the tables.

We went to the butterfly farm $15 for adults. This admission price does allow you to go again for the length of your stay, so if you are planning to go, go early. We actually returned for a second trip. We took the bus. The bus stop is just right near the Divi, price was $2.30 pp r/t. The only thing that I did not like was you needed to know where to “buzz” for the next stop. The bus driver did not tell us when the stop was getting near. In fact, there was a man who missed his stop.

Got towels (towel card) and floats. The floats you have to return by 5pm every day. The towel card will stay with the Activities center until you ask for it back (at the end of your stay), but you must return the same amount of towels that you borrowed. If you do not have the card or the towel, you are charged $25 per towel.
    At dinner at the red Parrot, coconut shrimp and beef tenderloin-excellent. Went back to Tam and listened to the entertainment.
    Day 3: Sunday
    Off and on showers during breakfast, but by the time we were done with breakfast, the showers were over. Walked to Divi saw the parrots and asked about the construction of the pool. Wading pool with lounge chairs. Does not appear that the construction is impeding the other pool.
    At dinner at the paparazzi, great meal, but felt rushed. When we walked in, many waiters walked by us and did not acknowledge us. Had Caesar salad, make sure you ask for the dressing on the side. Other than the salad, the food was great. Listen to entertainment.
    Day 4 Monday
    Saw cruise ship come in during breakfast. Excellent day, many people arriving today.
    Ate at “ginger”. We loved the food. I think I should have asked for ½ portions because with the appetizers, I was so full.
    Day 5 Tuesday
    Tour with Cerry. Got in Taxi, the driver “assumed’ we were waiting for him. We didn’t even have time to process that it wasn’t cerry. We got in the car and he said where to? I immediately saw a ‘red flag” and I said a tour and the driver said, “Let’s go to baby Beach 9which is about 45 minutes away). I immediately asked him to turn back, that we had the wrong driver. This driver’s Lic # was TX 313 and barely spoke English.
    Once with Cerry, we had a wonderful time. Cost was $40 per hour (for up to 4 people, so the more that attend the tour, the less cost). He is amazing. He gave us a history lesson and then we traveled to see all of the ‘tourists sights” and brought us through a golf community (beautiful).
    Tonight ate at red parrot for the second time. This time service not as good. The food was good, but found that we were forgotten about.
    Day 6 Wednesday
    Raining, down pouring lasted about an hour off and on. Took bus to downtown. Cruise ship was already in port. Went and looked at the boats in the Marina.
    Day 7 Thursday
    Last day here, so sad to leave… we watched the sunsets every night from the Bunker bar, what a sight. Went to gingers for dinner and it was excellent.
    One thing to beware of is the “print boarding pass machine located near the main desk. This cost $5 and we got our boarding pass, so this way we would not have to wait in line at the airport, but guess what, we did not need it, because once you enter the airport, you check luggage and you get your boarding pass right there. We did do the express check out; our bracelets were changed and we settled our bill which was $7.00. The $7 is option and is automatically charged to your account. This is a donation to the YMCA. It is actually a $1 per day.
    Day 8 airport.
    Bus was scheduled to pick us up at 11:15-1130. So at 1100, we got to the bar and I had my very last TWO beers… had to get that in…. Bus on time.
    No problems at airport.

Bring bug spray and plenty of sunblock
    Kudos to top bar tenders at the Tam:
    Harold, Sean Piere’ and Roland.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-29-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    First trip to Aruba down; many more to come

Lisa

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    Great report! Appreciate you taking the time to share it with us!

I paid for internet service at the Tam to print boarding passes and found the same thing-they just reprint them at the airport. I won't waste my time or money doing that again. That's time away from the beach when I'm already dreading having to leave!

Aruba since 1979
    great report
    i edited your $42.30 round trip bus to $2.30. ;-)
    i still win the booby prize of typos.

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    LOL Andrea! I did catch the bus fare but I know it's only $2.30 so I forgot to mention it.
    I wanted to say...I had to chuckle when reading about getting in the wrong cab for the tour with Cerry. Oops! LOL I'm glad the driver brought you right back. You didn't have to pay for the little jaunt did you?!

Trip Report

Ate at “ginger”. We loved the food. I think I should have asked for ½ portions because with the appetizers, I was so full.

[QUOTE=lrealnurse;178679]Trip report Aruba Tam June 11, 2010

I agree. We always order half portions even without appetizers!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
    Great report! Appreciate you taking the time to share it with us!

I paid for internet service at the Tam to print boarding passes and found the same thing-they just reprint them at the airport. I won't waste my time or money doing that again. That's time away from the beach when I'm already dreading having to leave!

I agree!

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    great report
    i edited your $42.30 round trip bus to $2.30. ;-)
    i still win the booby prize of typos.

Thanks for the catch in the bus fare, wow that would be a very expensive $$$$$ fare.. I let that one get away from me.....

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
    LOL Andrea! I did catch the bus fare but I know it's only $2.30 so I forgot to mention it.
    I wanted to say...I had to chuckle when reading about getting in the wrong cab for the tour with Cerry. Oops! LOL I'm glad the driver brought you right back. You didn't have to pay for the little jaunt did you?!

No, I did not have to pay for it; he never stated he was a taxi driver... it was funny

Lisa

Angry

[QUOTE=hstvns;178685]
    Quote Originally Posted by lrealnurse View Post
    Trip report Aruba Tam June 11, 2010

I agree. We always order half portions even without appetizers!!!!!!
    Geez...why haven't we thought of that ...we aren't huge eaters and felt so awful about leaving 1/2 our entrees after our meals...we enjoyed the food so much we'd ask for doggie bags...which we never ate! Will remember to do this from now on!!!

Thanks for your report Irealnurse...LOVE reading everyones' experiences! Cerry was awesome wasn't he!?! We enjoyed his tour so much. You are really lucky to be able to get direct flights...we had 2 connections on our return...
    Arubu-Miami-Wash DC-St.Louis! I used frequent flyer miles...but even w/o that there is nothing direct to Aruba from St. Louis!

[QUOTE=beachma;178710]
    Quote Originally Posted by hstvns View Post

Geez...why haven't we thought of that ...we aren't huge eaters and felt so awful about leaving 1/2 our entrees after our meals...we enjoyed the food so much we'd ask for doggie bags...which we never ate! Will remember to do this from now on!!!

Thanks for your report Irealnurse...LOVE reading everyones' experiences! Cerry was awesome wasn't he!?! We enjoyed his tour so much. You are really lucky to be able to get direct flights...we had 2 connections on our return...
    Arubu-Miami-Wash DC-St.Louis! I used frequent flyer miles...but even w/o that there is nothing direct to Aruba from St. Louis!

My mom lives in FL and can't find a direct flight at all. It would cost her an arm and leg to fly to Aruba.

Lisa

Lisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast