Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Trip Report - March 13-22 - Divi AI

  1. #11
    Senior Member purpleangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    61
    Posts
    772
    Enjoyed reading your report. You get a high five from me for parasailing - you are a braver soul than I!!

  2. #12
    Senior Member hockeymom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    437
    Thanks Darlene - it was pretty scary, but the view was incredible. I'll tell you - it really stinks being back at work today. Oh well, start dreaming of next year's trip!

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Posts
    231
    Good morning Hockeymom,

    Glad to hear you had a great time. Thanks for the super trip report.

    I have to admire you for doing the parasailing thing. I'm sure it was a adventure. When next year rolls around I'm sure you'll be up there again.

    Just want to ask about something that was not in your trip report. Did you do much shopping? I only ask because my wife is a shopper. That dip in the stone bench outside Little Switzerland downtown? That's from years of me sitting there waiting for her while she does her shopping thing. I seem to spend a lot of time carrying her purchases back to the car.

    As for the chaisse lounge thing, at least about reserving them, I think each resort has their own way of handling this. We've stayed at The Mill for the last five years, and yes, you have to be out at 6 or so to get a chaisse. During our first three years, many people would pay the pool guy to put towels on what they considered their chaisse lounges. These lounges would have towels (ie be reserved) at 6 and the people would show up around 10:00 or 11:00. It caused a problem, but management at The Mill eventually put a stop to it. It's about the only thing management at The Mill did that was helpful.

    We are off to Maui at the end of this month (after my busy season) and are looking forward to getting back to Aruba, likely next January.

    Again, great trip report. Glad you had a great time.


    Glenn

  4. #14
    Senior Member hockeymom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    437
    Thanks Glenn - ohh, Maui - nice. I was there along time ago (I'm not telling how long!!) I'm not a big shopper. We did go to the flea market which is just passed the Tam heading towards the airport on Saturday. It runs on Sunday also. Got a few beach bags/t-shirts there. We went downtown another day but didn't find anything. We actually did well at the Divi gift shop. Prices a bit higher, but quality much better. I wanted a nice beach towel - thick, not the flimsy ones they sell else where - and they had some very nice ones. I also bought myself a sweatshirt.

    Don't know if I'll try the parasailing again. It was fun but a little scary. Might try something different next time.

    Have a great trip!

  5. #15
    Member ubouu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UNDER A PALAPA, ON ANY BEACH !!
    Posts
    80

    Trip report

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good morning Hockeymom,

    Glad to hear you had a great time. Thanks for the super trip report.

    I have to admire you for doing the parasailing thing. I'm sure it was a adventure. When next year rolls around I'm sure you'll be up there again.

    Just want to ask about something that was not in your trip report. Did you do much shopping? I only ask because my wife is a shopper. That dip in the stone bench outside Little Switzerland downtown? That's from years of me sitting there waiting for her while she does her shopping thing. I seem to spend a lot of time carrying her purchases back to the car.

    As for the chaisse lounge thing, at least about reserving them, I think each resort has their own way of handling this. We've stayed at The Mill for the last five years, and yes, you have to be out at 6 or so to get a chaisse. During our first three years, many people would pay the pool guy to put towels on what they considered their chaisse lounges. These lounges would have towels (ie be reserved) at 6 and the people would show up around 10:00 or 11:00. It caused a problem, but management at The Mill eventually put a stop to it. It's about the only thing management at The Mill did that was helpful.

    We are off to Maui at the end of this month (after my busy season) and are looking forward to getting back to Aruba, likely next January.

    Again, great trip report. Glad you had a great time.


    Glenn
    I don't understand why ppl go through reserving anything to sit on or lay on why ? Why get up early to get a chair or palapa this just boggels my mind why ppl do this ,Don't stay at places that you have to do this, rent a Villa , or a house in Aruba with your own pool, go to the Beach with your own chair or lounger,you should enjoy your vacation, you should not have to waste time waiting in line to reserve CHAIRS or have to pay someone to make sure you have a place to sunbath ,that to me is a waste of good vacation time and money....just saying ppl
    Last edited by ubouu; 03-27-2012 at 02:31 PM.

  6. #16
    Senior Member hockeymom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    437
    We do it because we are beach people. We are on the beach early in the morning and spend the whole day there. If we did not have a palapa, we would be fried. We don't mind getting up early to do it as we are morning people anyway. When I'm on vacation, I want to be waited on, hence not renting a condo or a villa. I have a good friend that does the condo thing and swears by it, but not for me. I want someone else feeding me and cleaning up after me - I do that the other 355 days a year! To each his own - but I wish the hotels enforced the two hour unattended chair rules they all have - but do not enforce. On the days we aren't going to be in the chairs all day, we do not "claim" on in the morning. If everyone did that, there wouldn't such be a problem. Just my opinion....

  7. #17
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by ubouu View Post
    Don't stay at places that you have to do this, rent a Villa , or a house in Aruba with your own pool, go to the Beach with your own chair or lounger,you should enjoy your vacation, you should not have to waste time waiting in line to reserve CHAIRS or have to pay someone to make sure you have a place to sunbath ,that to me is a waste of good vacation time and money....just saying ppl
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
    We do it because we are beach people. We are on the beach early in the morning and spend the whole day there. If we did not have a palapa, we would be fried. We don't mind getting up early to do it as we are morning people anyway. When I'm on vacation, I want to be waited on, hence not renting a condo or a villa. I have a good friend that does the condo thing and swears by it, but not for me. I want someone else feeding me and cleaning up after me - I do that the other 355 days a year! To each his own - but I wish the hotels enforced the two hour unattended chair rules they all have - but do not enforce. On the days we aren't going to be in the chairs all day, we do not "claim" on in the morning. If everyone did that, there wouldn't such be a problem. Just my opinion....
    AMEN!

    As appealing as renting a villa with our own pool might be, it is still NOT a beach vacation.

    Having to get into the car and drive to the beach is NOT a beach vacation.


    We go to Aruba specifically for the beach, we can go to my parents house in Florida for free for a private home with a pool outside my bedroom door.

  8. #18
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,938
    hm, your point is made!!
    i agree with you

    i hope that the previous poster understands that all opinions are welcomed and that "to each their own" and no one like being told "what to do".
    it is all about individual needs/wants.
    and about stating opinions respectfully without even a hint of mean spiritedness.

    me, i have a timeshare and that is quite sufficient and meets my husband's and my needs.
    we are not interested in renting a house or a villa for the same reasons that you state. (although we do in "in" 6 or 7 times during our stays on island)

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
    We do it because we are beach people. We are on the beach early in the morning and spend the whole day there. If we did not have a palapa, we would be fried. We don't mind getting up early to do it as we are morning people anyway. When I'm on vacation, I want to be waited on, hence not renting a condo or a villa. I have a good friend that does the condo thing and swears by it, but not for me. I want someone else feeding me and cleaning up after me - I do that the other 355 days a year! To each his own - but I wish the hotels enforced the two hour unattended chair rules they all have - but do not enforce. On the days we aren't going to be in the chairs all day, we do not "claim" on in the morning. If everyone did that, there wouldn't such be a problem. Just my opinion....

  9. #19
    Member ubouu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UNDER A PALAPA, ON ANY BEACH !!
    Posts
    80

    Trip report

    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    AMEN!

    As appealing as renting a villa with our own pool might be, it is still NOT a beach vacation.

    Having to get into the car and drive to the beach is NOT a beach vacation.


    We go to Aruba specifically for the beach, we can go to my parents house in Florida for free for a private home with a pool outside my bedroom
    door.
    Well Andrea we have Rented a Beach Villa and we step right on to Eagle Beach, oh and we still don't have to pay some one to hold chairs or lounges, our wait in line as some ppl do at some of the Resorts . Also there are a lot of Villas and house's for Rent on the Beach in Aruba cheaper stay's than staying at some of the Resort.Like you said Andrea it is all about individual needs/wants .This is my opinion of what I would do, not saying everyone should do this , my real question really is ,why stand in line and why pay someone to save you a place to sit or relax on your Vacation , I have already paid to come to this paridise, I don't want to pay to Relax.Some ppl that stay at Resorts rent cars and go to other Beaches in Aruba and to me going to see the other Beaches in Aruba are a must ....Just Saying
    Last edited by ubouu; 03-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.

  10. #20
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,938
    that is your opinion
    why stand in line? because for those that want a particular spot/palapa that is the only choice.

    it is all about what folks want to do.
    if they did not want to get up at dawn and/or pay, they would not do it.

    the majority of the people that visit aruba for a vacation do it for the beach.if they have to drive to the beach or take a cab or bus or walk a half a mile, that is inconvenient.

    i live in florida
    have a pool
    and when i go to aruba, i want to be at the beach.
    do i get up b4 the birds to get a good spot?
    yup sometimes!
    am i a fool for doing it?
    absolutely not, it is my choice.

    are you a fool for renting where you are renting?
    absolutely not, it is your choice.

    you did make an inquiry for one of my timeshare rentals, so you obviously considered a timeshare rental.

    people do not need to answer to anyone re: why they would stand in line or pay for a good spot on the beach.

    Quote Originally Posted by ubouu View Post
    Well Andrea we have Rented a Beach Villa and we step right on to Eagle Beach, oh and we still don't have to pay some one to hold chairs or lounges, our wait in line as some ppl do at some of the Resorts . Also there are a lot of Villas and house's for Rent on the Beach in Aruba cheaper stay's than staying at some of the Resort.Like you said Andrea it is all about individual needs/wants .This is my opinion of what I would do, not saying everyone should do this , my real question really is ,why stand in line and why pay someone to save you a place to sit or relax on your Vacation , I have already paid to come to this paridise, I don't want to pay to Relax.Some ppl that stay at Resorts rent cars and go to other Beaches in Aruba and to me going to see the other Beaches in Aruba are a must ....Just Saying

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO