Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trip report March 13-27th

Trip report March 13-27th

Well I am finally sitting down and trying to do my latest trip report...

First topic (always) is the weather and for March, very unusual. In two weeks we had one day that had 3/4 rain and clouds and then a number of days when it was cloudy and lightly sprinkling of rain for a good part of the morning. The afternoons were always hot and sunny. On Friday March 17th (Flag day) in the very early evening it rained like I haven't seen since NYE 1999!! Monsoon type rain for a few hours with flooding all around. Not what you would expect to see in March when rainy season is over!! Due to the holiday and the rain, taxis were no where to be found so many people at all hotels/resorts were going nowhere that night. People waited a long time if they needed a taxi. We had a car but had to wait it out for a bit to even get to the car as the rain was so strong we would have been soaked right through! On Sunday the ocean was rough and you knew that something was "brewing" and by Monday, it was a sea weed extravaganza which took 2 days to fully rectify with large tractors being brought in. Resembled a big snow clean up but with sea weed!! Another anomaly!

We went to see Zizzles and it was very good. The singing and dancing was very well done but the three main singers when they tried their individual "speaking act" between sets was sort of contrite and amateurish. However, I would definitely go back as we really enjoyed all of the other parts and it was a good show. Afterwords, we stayed to watch the Dueling Pianos and that was great!!! Tammy T (formerly of the club The Sopranos) teams up with another pianist (forgot his name) and it is excellent too. That portion is free and open to anyone. I would strongly recommend this as well.
    My DS and friend went to see the Magic Show (which apparently includes Comedy now too). After years of seeing the magician come by the beach, my son decided to go after his dinner at Blossoms. Well, based on his comments I wouldn't waste my $40. He said the magic was "bad" and the card tricks were slow so you actually could see the trick! Final act was having to see a woman in a butterfly costume "disappear", however at the finale when everyone comes out both of his two assistants came out in the same costume, making it obvious that there was no disappearing just switching of same looking type women in the same costume. OMG!!

MOOMBAS; According to my DS this place was very quiet even on Sunday. When asking around of some of the locales I was told that since the big Palapa roof collapsed it just isn't the same. I have to agree to look at the place as it now just has a small white tent over the bar area. They said that it doesn't feel like a bar anymore as it is too open...that was their comment. Seems like South Beach Lounge is getting a little more action. Perhaps it was also the time of year??

COMMENT ON BEACH AND PALAPAS:
    The usual issues were on the beach with regards to the Palapas but I did learn some interesting things which make the Surf Club (not at Christmas) not half as bad as others. Apparently, the hut issue is not great at many of the other resorts with people coming out at 3 am to get their hut!!! As many resorts do not have any form of reservations people go crazy for the huts. I heard from two different people that at the Playa Linda this is a big issue. One person goes out at 3am every night and sleeps at his hut and another person comes to Aruba with a cot and puts it out on the beach at 2:30am and sleeps there every night to ensure her hut! Wow, the Surf Club seems great compared. So I guess the morale of the palapa story is every place has issues.
    The upper part of the SC beach needs more sand, it is right down to nothing in parts by the Hadicurari.

Palm Beach Mall is just sad! Really beautiful place with so many empty stores. Went to see the new Ferragamo store (just to see) and it is a huge store that has no stock. It just opened but can't imagine it is going to last long with no real stock!! Very sad!! There is so much going on in this area with construction and shops they are all competing and you know that they are all not going to do well as it is just too much.

On the rainy day, we popped in to see (out of curiosity) the new AQUA Condo project that is taking a million years to build right next door to the Surf Club. We did this two years ago (also on a rainy day) and wanted to see and compare. First off, there is absolutely no way this first tower is going to be completed by April 2012. I wonder if this entire complex is ever going to be fully completed! The thing that struck me is this contradiction. Two years ago, the sales agent said that each unit would get two lounges and an umbrella with a shuttle to take you to Eagle Beach. This time they said they are trying to work out an arrangement with Moomba?? When questioned about what was relayed before, we were told no shuttle no nothing is going to be available. When asked how such a small area of Moomba beach could possibly accommodate all the people who would be living in the complex he didn't have an answer. He said that all of the beach was public and that we could bring chairs and sit anywhere and was suggesting going to the one of the beaches in front of the Marriotts. I told him that wasn't a good option as during high season there isn't even enough room for their guests so there was no way to accommodate hundreds of more people! He couldn't really give an answer but said that perhaps in the future something might be in place at Eagle Beach. Aside from the obvious concerns, the lack of available beach access is an big concern so be mindful.

I have my restaurant reviews but I will post them in the Culinary section.

happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Randi i was in Aruba the same time you were I couldn't believe how green the island was and how much it did rain while we were there for 2 weeks. also I don't know how many of you have wondered about the medical care in Aruba I had to go to the Drs. The Marriott took me to doctors and to get prescriptions and waited with me. I saw Dr Habibe he is located just a short distance from Surf Club. He was wonderfu and within a few days I was feeling much better. Now back to reality,snow and rain. Daydreaming about next March and Aruba..

Wow, we were both there at SC at the same time!! Do you sit at the pool or beach?
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Thanks so much for your post. We can't wait to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Aruba View Post
    Thanks so much for your post. We can't wait to get there.

Enjoy! My pleasure!!!

Randi sit on the beach everyday palapa # 400 never had a problem getting one hubby up early so he went down and waited in line at 6:30 am got # 400 almost every day. No problems at Surf Club. Maybe next year we can meet up I have made my reservations for March 19-April 2 at Surf Club. Can't wait to return as I'm sitting here watching the snow fall....

Quote Originally Posted by CandyC55 View Post
    Randi sit on the beach everyday palapa # 400 never had a problem getting one hubby up early so he went down and waited in line at 6:30 am got # 400 almost every day. No problems at Surf Club. Maybe next year we can meet up I have made my reservations for March 19-April 2 at Surf Club. Can't wait to return as I'm sitting here watching the snow fall....
    Candy, that is hilarious as that is the exact dates we are currently booked for!!! I sat at the very edge by the rocks with an umbrella to the side of hut 110 for the first week. After that we were just 2 people so we just sat around there.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Candy, that is hilarious as that is the exact dates we are currently booked for!!! I sat at the very edge by the rocks with an umbrella to the side of hut 110 for the first week. After that we were just 2 people so we just sat around there.
    Randi, I hope someday we cross paths again in Aruba. Its so hard with the "chicks" and different dates of spring breaks.

So, Randi you're booked for the same two weeks we are for next year!! I just love the surf club and the Marriott took good care of me when I was sick. Maybe we'll meet up at some point in time...

Aruba since 1979
    good
    my thoughts exactly on the palm beach mall!
    still a BAD economy, who has the $$ to spend in the high end stores?

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Well I am finally sitting down and trying to do my latest trip report...

First topic (always) is the weather and for March, very unusual. In two weeks we had one day that had 3/4 rain and clouds and then a number of days when it was cloudy and lightly sprinkling of rain for a good part of the morning. The afternoons were always hot and sunny. On Friday March 17th (Flag day) in the very early evening it rained like I haven't seen since NYE 1999!! Monsoon type rain for a few hours with flooding all around. Not what you would expect to see in March when rainy season is over!! Due to the holiday and the rain, taxis were no where to be found so many people at all hotels/resorts were going nowhere that night. People waited a long time if they needed a taxi. We had a car but had to wait it out for a bit to even get to the car as the rain was so strong we would have been soaked right through! On Sunday the ocean was rough and you knew that something was "brewing" and by Monday, it was a sea weed extravaganza which took 2 days to fully rectify with large tractors being brought in. Resembled a big snow clean up but with sea weed!! Another anomaly!

We went to see Zizzles and it was very good. The singing and dancing was very well done but the three main singers when they tried their individual "speaking act" between sets was sort of contrite and amateurish. However, I would definitely go back as we really enjoyed all of the other parts and it was a good show. Afterwords, we stayed to watch the Dueling Pianos and that was great!!! Tammy T (formerly of the club The Sopranos) teams up with another pianist (forgot his name) and it is excellent too. That portion is free and open to anyone. I would strongly recommend this as well.
    My DS and friend went to see the Magic Show (which apparently includes Comedy now too). After years of seeing the magician come by the beach, my son decided to go after his dinner at Blossoms. Well, based on his comments I wouldn't waste my $40. He said the magic was "bad" and the card tricks were slow so you actually could see the trick! Final act was having to see a woman in a butterfly costume "disappear", however at the finale when everyone comes out both of his two assistants came out in the same costume, making it obvious that there was no disappearing just switching of same looking type women in the same costume. OMG!!

MOOMBAS; According to my DS this place was very quiet even on Sunday. When asking around of some of the locales I was told that since the big Palapa roof collapsed it just isn't the same. I have to agree to look at the place as it now just has a small white tent over the bar area. They said that it doesn't feel like a bar anymore as it is too open...that was their comment. Seems like South Beach Lounge is getting a little more action. Perhaps it was also the time of year??

COMMENT ON BEACH AND PALAPAS:
    The usual issues were on the beach with regards to the Palapas but I did learn some interesting things which make the Surf Club (not at Christmas) not half as bad as others. Apparently, the hut issue is not great at many of the other resorts with people coming out at 3 am to get their hut!!! As many resorts do not have any form of reservations people go crazy for the huts. I heard from two different people that at the Playa Linda this is a big issue. One person goes out at 3am every night and sleeps at his hut and another person comes to Aruba with a cot and puts it out on the beach at 2:30am and sleeps there every night to ensure her hut! Wow, the Surf Club seems great compared. So I guess the morale of the palapa story is every place has issues.
    The upper part of the SC beach needs more sand, it is right down to nothing in parts by the Hadicurari.

Palm Beach Mall is just sad! Really beautiful place with so many empty stores. Went to see the new Ferragamo store (just to see) and it is a huge store that has no stock. It just opened but can't imagine it is going to last long with no real stock!! Very sad!! There is so much going on in this area with construction and shops they are all competing and you know that they are all not going to do well as it is just too much.

On the rainy day, we popped in to see (out of curiosity) the new AQUA Condo project that is taking a million years to build right next door to the Surf Club. We did this two years ago (also on a rainy day) and wanted to see and compare. First off, there is absolutely no way this first tower is going to be completed by April 2012. I wonder if this entire complex is ever going to be fully completed! The thing that struck me is this contradiction. Two years ago, the sales agent said that each unit would get two lounges and an umbrella with a shuttle to take you to Eagle Beach. This time they said they are trying to work out an arrangement with Moomba?? When questioned about what was relayed before, we were told no shuttle no nothing is going to be available. When asked how such a small area of Moomba beach could possibly accommodate all the people who would be living in the complex he didn't have an answer. He said that all of the beach was public and that we could bring chairs and sit anywhere and was suggesting going to the one of the beaches in front of the Marriotts. I told him that wasn't a good option as during high season there isn't even enough room for their guests so there was no way to accommodate hundreds of more people! He couldn't really give an answer but said that perhaps in the future something might be in place at Eagle Beach. Aside from the obvious concerns, the lack of available beach access is an big concern so be mindful.

I have my restaurant reviews but I will post them in the Culinary section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast