Aruba Beach
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Trip Report - Nov.4 - 18

Have enjoyed reading this. We arrive on Friday so hopefully the winds return a bit...but even if they don't, we'll still be in ARUBA! I can't wait!

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Wed. - Good morning everyone. As I sit on the balcony, writing this, I am watching it rain over half of the pool. The other half of the pool is sunny. The rainy season here in Aruba is nothing like it is in other tropical islands. We have been to others where the rains have been monsoons, but here, its just a sprinkle or a light shower. Most have occurred over night, with a few during the day.

Yesterday turned out to be a great outdoor day. There was a light breeze during the am, and some large dark clouds in the afternoon, which made the day very comfortable. There were some large waves on Eagle Beach when we arrived, but the water has been very calm for the last several days.

We walked to Chalet Suisse for hubby's birthday dinner. There was a nice breeze. I only ate a muffin yesterday morning, and skipped happy hour, in hopes that I would be able to eat more at dinner. We shared the Seafood Chalet Suisse appetizer. They divided it into two separate dishes for us. I ate about 1/3, and gave the rest to hubby. I wanted to save room for the main course. This dish is a variety of fish, and shellfish, in a very rich cream sauce. They add a little mashed potatoes on the side. The main course was the chateaubriand for two, hubby's favorite. They carve this tableside. It is sooo good, and melts in your mouth. It is accompanied by a variety of vegetables. I actually made a pretty good dent in this one, since my stomach was empty. I did end up passing some of the meat along to hubby.

They surprised us with a piece of chocolate cake with a candle, and sang happy birthday. Hubby had plenty to eat, and left there very full. I think that he is reaching his food coma stage now.

On our walk back, we checked out the beach tennis tournament on the beach. It is set up right across from Oceania, and is quite a big deal, with grand stands, numerous courts, vendors. There were cars parked on the side or the roads in both directions, on the sidewalks and paths, in all of the open areas. The games have been very loud, blasting loud music and has loud announcers. If I were staying at Oceania this week, I would be ticked, but those who are involved with the beach tennis seem to be having a great time.
    Last edited by hatteras; 11-16-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Chalet Suisse is always on our list, maybe this year we will make it. Good to know it is walkable from CL, so we will be fine from ABC, I assume.
    The food this trip sounds great!

Absolutely walkable from ABC.

Sounds like a great bday dinner at the Chalet. How funny to see rain on only half of the pool!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Tracey, Chalet Suisse is about a 20 minute walk from Costa Linda. As I said earlier in my posts, we enjoy walking, so we walk wherever we can.

The dinner sounded heavenly. Very nice way to celebrate a birthday.

Enjoying your review... happy birthday. What a nice way to celebrate in Aruba.

Trip Wrap Up-

We got home around 1:00 am Sat. Morning. The last day is always a rough, long day. I would give anything for a direct flight. Fortunately, both flights were very good, and we had no trouble making our connection.

We got to the airport 3 hours early. It usually doesn't take that long on a Friday, but, on the way down, the pilot gave us the 3 hr. lecture, and said that he had to leave several people on his last flight. He had to leave 11 people the Friday before. We decided not to take any chances. We got from the check in counter to the gate in under 45 minutes, so we had lots of time to spare.

Most noticeable thing about this trip - The Lack of Winds
    All of the local people mentioned that this was highly unusual, and that it had been like this since Matthew.
    The first week was extremely uncomfortable, with highs in the 90's and almost no breeze. I remarked to my husband that it was like sitting in our back yard in July for hours at a time. HIGH TEMP. HIGH HUMIDITY. NO BREEZE. We spent much of our days in the water, but the lagoon, private island water, and the pool water at Renn. were so warm that you really couldn't cool off. Some nights were more comfortable, but some were just oppressive.

We moved to Costa Linda for the second week. The temp. dropped a few degrees that week. There were some occasional light breezes, and some good cloud covers, so that week was more comfortable. We still needed to spend a lot of the time in the water. Eagle Beach water was cooler, which helped.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants that we visited. My favorite meals were the grouper at Yemanja and the grouper at Barefoot. If I had to choose my top favorite, I would have to say Barefoot, because of the ambiance and overall experience. Hubby's favorite is usually Chalet Suisse, and was his choice to celebrate his birthday. However, he loved the burgerloin at Madame Janette's so much that MJ's was his favorite this year.

All in all, it was a very nice trip. This was the first time that we vacationed in Aruba in Nov. I was expecting less wind than when we go in Feb. but I was not prepared for the lack of winds. Here's hoping that the rains and storms that are churning up now will usher those tradewinds back to Aruba soon.
    Last edited by hatteras; 11-21-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing, Hatteras!

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for shairng your 2 weeks with all of us.
    the lack of winds was indeed uncomfortable.

to us it felt like florida in august.

maybe next year we will meet!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast