Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Trip Report and Photos - New Years Eve 2014/2015

I agree that Aruba is wonderful during the holidays. Actually, it's wonderful anytime. I think the rum shop is on my list of things to do

One question, what is a pagara? I googled it and the results were a moth or a boxer.

A pagara is a long strip of firecrackers, lit to go off continously. Like a long snake.

I enjoyed your photos of all of the bright colors, thanks for sharing.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

So as not to hijack the thread... explanation and video of a pagara in this new thread at Aruba's Pagara Tradition on New Years Eve

Quote Originally Posted by luvsun View Post
    Wow Amy you know how to pack it in! We also love Barney's...our favorite pub place to eat and drink! Also Luc has done a wonderful job at his new place Quinta del Carmen! Diana is also a friend of ours and we frequent there too.. BUT, I do have to say that the wine room sucks!! Went there with some girlfriends (we all live here) and his service was terrible!! we were suppose to have a wine tasting..had the appointment and it turned into a glass of wine each. I wanted a Chardonnay as one of my friends wanted a different white, he proceeded to tell me to "try" that one ... as he said he did not want to open a bottle of Chardonnay for me. Well he did open one! We each had our 1 glass and left... no wine tasting to be had! There were 6 of us and we won't be back for our "wine tasting"! Not what we expected.
    We also loved Quinta del Carmen both food and atmosphere. LuvSun, here is our experience with The Wine Room from our Dec 2014 trip (taken from my original trip report):

For some of the interesting "tid bits" to our trip: After reading on the BB about the wine tasting I decided to book it for our family of 7. I made arrangements in April for a Dec. wine tasting and then booked my other dinners around it. We reconnected in November to go over wine preference and tapas and thought we were good to go for our evening. We arrived at Orange Plaza for our 9pm wine tasting to find everything closed and number posted on door was out of service. I emailed the owner and he "forgot" about our date. We then spoke over the phone and while he was very apologetic, I couldn't really get a true or straight answer about what had happened to his missing our scheduled evening. While he appeared sincere in his apparent missed appointment, he tried to make it up to us by trying to reschedule or do a tasting at our hotel. We were leaving in a few days and had already made dinner plans so this was not going to happen. He dropped off a bottle of red wine and a sparkling wine with a note of apology (which was a nice touch) however, if that was the red wine and dessert wine he was going to use at his wine tasting, we were not impressed. Both wines were a $10 bottle with the red only given a 3* star rating and the sparkling wine was no dessert wine (he mentioned that he had bought the dessert wine for us). Anyway, whatever way you cut it, it just doesn't bode well for a business for this to happen. We won't be doing this again!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Thanks for sharing great pictures

Another great report! Oh I can't wait until May..Tired of the snow!

Hope when anyone has an issue with any business when traveling or even at home that you convey your concerns to the business owner. We've had a few "so so" experiences at a few places over the years at other destinations and a call or note to the business owner was all it took for a meaningful conversation and a solution to make everyone happy when expectations were not met. We now have new friends everywhere from Paris to, most recently, Savannah a few days ago when an issue came up. It's all a matter of making lemonade from lemons by working together. I treasure our new friends in other parts of the world that came about by sometimes a simple lack of communication or expectations. Happy travels!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    It's all a matter of making lemonade from lemons by working together.

So very true! I wish more people would believe this. Not only believe, but practice as well!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    .... Oh Yeah..... and the picture of you sitting on the beach with the date in the sand with the usual huge smile!
    That has been our annual photo tradition since 1996. Can never leave Aruba without that photo or we'd have to tell the pilot to turn the plane around!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast