Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Tuckers' 3rd Anniversary Trip

Bucuti Beach Club, Natural Pool, Donkey Farm, Alto Vista Chapel
    Saturday, August 3, 2013

Breakfast

We had our last breakfast out on the balcony. The weather was a bit cloudy, but we had our last beach day in front of us.

Beach

We got down a little before 8:30 and planned to stay out until 11:00. We got a sprinkle or two when we first got to our hut. That was over within seconds and the rest of the morning was great.

Packing

We went back to the room and got everything packed. We had rum to pack along with a few new T-Shirts this year. It's always a sad time when we are getting ready to leave. They came to pick our luggage up and loaded up our cab for the airport. We had the same lady from our Monday Chetos trip.

Airport

We arrived at the airport at 12:12. We were next in line at the US Airways First Class/Preferred line. There were 2 couples in front of us in the 2 lines. In 9 minutes, we were at the counter. The check-in went smoothly and in 3 minutes we were headed to the gates. I'm not sure why it takes us 3 minutes and the couples that were there before us at least 10 minutes. I suppose they were having trouble or being troublesome. It was 17 minutes to get through Aruban Customs. It was 23 minutes to retrieve our bags and get through US Customs. They were moving them through pretty quickly. The line to check our bags in before we went through security again was another 6 minutes. Finally, it was another 10 minutes to get through the last security line. We were at the airport at 12:12 for our 3:45 flight and made it to the gate by 1:20. It seemed like the longest time yet in Aruba, probably because the lines seemed to be larger than ever. I would say you would have to add 1 1/2 hours at least if you were in the coach line to even get started.

We went down to the Old Dutch Bar near the far gates and had some drinks with folks on the JFK flight. My wife went to get Sbarro and it took her over 30 minutes. We bought a couple of bottles of Captain Morgan Dark Rum Fonce, a bottle of Rum Palmera Gold, and a bottle of Rum Palmera Premium Gold. There were very few local bottles left on the US departure side.

As we got to our gate about an hour from takeoff, we saw Philly and Aruba author Dan Putkowski and his wife signing books. We stopped by, bought a book to be signed and chatted about Aruba and Philly.

Flight

Our flight took off on time and arrived in Philly around 8:15pm. There was only one other couple in first class, so we got plenty of attention. Now that the trip is over, it is time for unpacking and planning next year's trip.

Thanks for the report. It sounds like you had a great time. I am curious why you advise an extra 1 1/2 hours for those flying in coach.

Aruba since 1979
    I cannot imagine an extra hour and half for those flying non first/business class.
    Even before online check in (which many do not do in aruba) check in at its worst was a 45 min line.
    Then aruba immigration and security and us customs all are time consuming.

Thank you for your marvelous "aruba story"

I think we all enjoyed your trip Thanks!

There were probably 300 people standing in line. Is that normal? I've never had to time that line before.

Aruba since 1979
    was the looooong line that you were talking about for USAIRWAYS? if so, are there still 2 flights that leave AUA on Saturday afternoons? That is a lot of people! the line does move and it seems even longer as folks' luggage takes up a lot of space. To the best of my knowledge, most, if not all, allow online check in, so that when they get there, if they have their boarding passes, they only have to get in the drop luggage line and pick up a US CUSTOMS card.
    (sorry that was quite a sentence!)

we used to travel to and from aruba on saturdays, mostly on AA from Boston. (ahh the good old days)
    that AA line was a nightmare and took upwards of an hour. if i remember correctly, there were 3 AA flights leaving all between 1 and 4 pm on saturdays.
    those were before the days on online check in and printing board passes at the resort.

you made good time in spite of it being a saturday!

san nic (dan putkowski) has a bunch of photos posted on his facebook page from this weekend's book signing.
    did you pose? if so, please describe yourself and what clothing you were wearing and i will post the photo here on "your story" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by drtucker1 View Post
    There were probably 300 people standing in line. Is that normal? I've never had to time that line before.

Awesome trip report!! Thanks so much!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    was the looooong line that you were talking about for USAIRWAYS? if so, are there still 2 flights that leave AUA on Saturday afternoons? That is a lot of people! the line does move and it seems even longer as folks' luggage takes up a lot of space. To the best of my knowledge, most, if not all, allow online check in, so that when they get there, if they have their boarding passes, they only have to get in the drop luggage line and pick up a US CUSTOMS card.
    (sorry that was quite a sentence!)

we used to travel to and from aruba on saturdays, mostly on AA from Boston. (ahh the good old days)
    that AA line was a nightmare and took upwards of an hour. if i remember correctly, there were 3 AA flights leaving all between 1 and 4 pm on saturdays.
    those were before the days on online check in and printing board passes at the resort.

you made good time in spite of it being a saturday!

san nic (dan putkowski) has a bunch of photos posted on his facebook page from this weekend's book signing.
    did you pose? if so, please describe yourself and what clothing you were wearing and i will post the photo here on "your story" thread.

There was a Philly flight leaving about an hour after we got to the airport, a Charlotte flight leaving in about 2 hours after we got there, and their our Philly flight leaving at 3:45pm. They moved our flight up from last year. We didn't leave until sometime after 4:00pm last year. Online is the way to go to keep from standing in that line. It looked like a train wreck.

We did take a picture with Dan. I'm next to Dan in a brown shirt with a palm tree on it and my wife is in a dress on my left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Awesome trip report!! Thanks so much!
    Thanks Jacki. I look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back. Bon dia!

Thank you for sharing,glad you both had a wounderful time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast