Thread: WaltVB in Aruba 2015

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Hang in there Walt
    its an aggravating blip
    hope by now you're home safe sound and content from your perfect vacation

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Thanks, we were two and a half hours late leaving Aruba, and we had to spend that time in the airport and not the beach. So we got to Miami about 20 minutes after the last fight home left. The airlines put us up in a Holiday Inn with dinner and breakfast vouchers. I'm sending this from there. Of course I packed my power brick for my laptop in my luggage, so I'm keeping this short. I'll post the last days of the trip when I can get home and put a charge on this battery.
    Thanks for checking in here and letting us know. Hope you see it as an extra day of paid vacation and were able to make the best of it.

Looking forward to your next installment. "See" you soon here!

9/10, 11 and 12- I’m sorry this is so long, but here we go:
    Thursday, the last full day, was a nice slow day. The morning started off with breakfast at Scott’s. After saying our goodbyes and making promises to see them next year it was back to the Surf Club for pool time and bingo. We took a break to run to Lings to pick up a half round of Gouda and a Boterkoek to bring home. Then it was back to change and go out for our final dinner. We chose Casa Tua again. We just had to have one of those thin crust pizzas again. After dinner we met Curtis and Maggie to watch the Steelers-Pats game. We had another great time and I left a bit happier than Curtis (Go Pats!). We went to bed in anticipation of our flight home. We woke up kinda early to get packed up for that 10:00 check-out. Now that the Surf Club has satellite front desks in each building it really speeds up the checkout process. Since we always have a later flight on departure day we take advantage of the Marriott policy of enjoying the resort and facilities after checkout. We spent a few more hours at the pool, had a last drink with our favorite bartender (and since he’s a Steelers fan I rubbed in the Pats win). We showered and dressed and left for the airport, stopped for gas and turned over the car and we were checking in at 2:30 for a 4:35 flight. We walked right up to the first security, stopped at one of the shops, got our luggage, went through customs and immigration and second security and we were at One Happy Bar by 3:00. I’m not kidding. This is another reason we travel during the first couple of weeks of September. Everyone from the US is already back home getting the kiddies ready for school and there are very few folks in USA departures during that time. The place was almost deserted feeling. So anyway they called our flight and we moved to the departure area. Then they told us the flight was going to be delayed till 5:15… then 6:15 and finally we left around 7:00. We had started to get hungry so we had grabbed a pizza thinking we could eat it on the plane. It was a good thing we did. I didn’t know this, but all of the shops/restaurants in the airport close at 5:00. I’d also had the foresight to grab a couple of cold Balashi to go. We ate our last dinner of a cold Sbarro pizza and washed it down with a couple of cold beers in the crying room. I was livid. Finally we took off. The flight attendants were the most miserable, rude, indifferent, uncaring group I’ve ever encountered on a flight. No welcome aboard, only one drink service the entire flight and no thanks for flying, get the hell off the plane or anything when we arrived in Miami. Now we originally had a couple of hour layover in Miami and as it was we got off of the plane about 2 minutes before our connection was scheduled to leave. And it was only a few gates away so off we ran, for some absurd reason thinking they would hold the plane or maybe be delayed a bit, yeah, right, we got to the gate and heard crickets, not a soul around. So off to the rescheduling desk where we were handed a voucher for a free room at the airport Holiday Inn, and dinner and breakfast vouchers. They also gave us our new boarding passes for the next day. So off we went, with only two toothbrushes and the other assorted things one has in their backpack when flying home. No change of clothes, deodorant, makeup for DW, etc. What a rookie mistake, we are always prepared on the way down, but didn’t plan for the way home. We live and learn. The unexpected stay was uneventful. We ate both dinner and breakfast in the 9th floor restaurant at the HI, caught the shuttle and began day two of travel. Since we had boarding passes and no luggage we walked right up to and through security and on to our gate. The flight home was much more pleasant and when our Uber ride got us home it was 2:30.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Aww, at least you had a "Happy Flow" through Aruba's airport, Walt!
    (Sorry, could't resist but that expression makes me still giggle! Haha)

The grouchy flight attendants were probably miserable due to the significant delay. But that's no excuse to be so unprofessional!

Glad you got a voucher for the hotel, dinner and breakfast without having to fight for it. I have seen otherwise.

On one of my return flights from Aruba I got stuck in an airport because of bad weather, all flights cancelled. Several customers had to pay for their hotel. A gentleman and I had to go to the desk for our connection flight to Texas. The airport seemed deserted but we finally found it.

We we came to the desk, he said: "We need a room."
    The clerk: "A double room then."
    I: "No. We are married. Just not to each other!"

I always try to find some humor in a frustrating situation.

Thursday sounds like a great way to spend your last full day. Sorry for the travel hiccups...not the most convenient for sure. The flight crew really can make or break a bad experience. We had a delay leaving on Southwest but the crew was so nice and made everyone comfortable and really helped as much as they could to put people with connections at ease. It's a shame you didn't get that type of service. Great point about being prepared on the way home, we always check as much as we can.

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. Sounds like the forum meet ups were a lot of fun! Welcome home...let your next countdown begin!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    walt sorry to read of the rude fligh attendants.
    there are no excuses.

what airline? AA?

I miss your daily reports.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    9/10, 11 and 12- I’m sorry this is so long, but here we go:
    Thursday, the last full day, was a nice slow day. The morning started off with breakfast at Scott’s. After saying our goodbyes and making promises to see them next year it was back to the Surf Club for pool time and bingo. We took a break to run to Lings to pick up a half round of Gouda and a Boterkoek to bring home. Then it was back to change and go out for our final dinner. We chose Casa Tua again. We just had to have one of those thin crust pizzas again. After dinner we met Curtis and Maggie to watch the Steelers-Pats game. We had another great time and I left a bit happier than Curtis (Go Pats!). We went to bed in anticipation of our flight home. We woke up kinda early to get packed up for that 10:00 check-out. Now that the Surf Club has satellite front desks in each building it really speeds up the checkout process. Since we always have a later flight on departure day we take advantage of the Marriott policy of enjoying the resort and facilities after checkout. We spent a few more hours at the pool, had a last drink with our favorite bartender (and since he’s a Steelers fan I rubbed in the Pats win). We showered and dressed and left for the airport, stopped for gas and turned over the car and we were checking in at 2:30 for a 4:35 flight. We walked right up to the first security, stopped at one of the shops, got our luggage, went through customs and immigration and second security and we were at One Happy Bar by 3:00. I’m not kidding. This is another reason we travel during the first couple of weeks of September. Everyone from the US is already back home getting the kiddies ready for school and there are very few folks in USA departures during that time. The place was almost deserted feeling. So anyway they called our flight and we moved to the departure area. Then they told us the flight was going to be delayed till 5:15… then 6:15 and finally we left around 7:00. We had started to get hungry so we had grabbed a pizza thinking we could eat it on the plane. It was a good thing we did. I didn’t know this, but all of the shops/restaurants in the airport close at 5:00. I’d also had the foresight to grab a couple of cold Balashi to go. We ate our last dinner of a cold Sbarro pizza and washed it down with a couple of cold beers in the crying room. I was livid. Finally we took off. The flight attendants were the most miserable, rude, indifferent, uncaring group I’ve ever encountered on a flight. No welcome aboard, only one drink service the entire flight and no thanks for flying, get the hell off the plane or anything when we arrived in Miami. Now we originally had a couple of hour layover in Miami and as it was we got off of the plane about 2 minutes before our connection was scheduled to leave. And it was only a few gates away so off we ran, for some absurd reason thinking they would hold the plane or maybe be delayed a bit, yeah, right, we got to the gate and heard crickets, not a soul around. So off to the rescheduling desk where we were handed a voucher for a free room at the airport Holiday Inn, and dinner and breakfast vouchers. They also gave us our new boarding passes for the next day. So off we went, with only two toothbrushes and the other assorted things one has in their backpack when flying home. No change of clothes, deodorant, makeup for DW, etc. What a rookie mistake, we are always prepared on the way down, but didn’t plan for the way home. We live and learn. The unexpected stay was uneventful. We ate both dinner and breakfast in the 9th floor restaurant at the HI, caught the shuttle and began day two of travel. Since we had boarding passes and no luggage we walked right up to and through security and on to our gate. The flight home was much more pleasant and when our Uber ride got us home it was 2:30.

Only 1 drink service! You were flying business right? I would of kept them busy ringing the bell. I love that one happy bar. They make nice panninis that I usually buy to go.

It's really too bad you had to deal with a miserable crew. It's bad enough the delay caused you a second day of travel. I wondered what airline you travel with as well? Hope you got settled in at home quickly and now only have happy thoughts of Aruba!

We all have issues & bad days but flight attendants, or anyone in the service industry really, should suck it up and smile! Sorry the flight home was cruddy.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Thanks everyone. We flew AA. I know flight attendants only get paid while the plane is actually in flight, but come on man. We were in coach for the very last time flying home. We will never ever fly coach to Aruba or anywhere again. We will tighten our belts on other things and fly first/business from now on. The only thing nice about the flight to Miami was we had the row to ourselves.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast