Aruba Beach
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Arubalisa
  • 2 Post By jpsphr

Thread: Amsterdam Manor?

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling

Amsterdam Manor?

We always stay at the Marriott Ocean or Surf and will for a week in July, but we're staying for two weeks and may want to try the second week in the low-rise area. How do folks like the Amsterdam Manor?

Check out some of the threads at http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/amsterdam%20manor.html

Lots of links to ~Amy~
    trip reports. She stays there at least twice a year, every year.

We love Amsterdam Manor and have been staying there twice a year since 2004 when we "moved" from Palm Beach over to Eagle Beach. It's not for everyone though and will be a world of difference from the Marriott. Only 72 rooms so it's very quiet. If you want nightlife you'll need to go downtown or Palm Beach.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 03-26-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    the amsterdam manor is a lovely resort.
    the units that face the pool and the ocean are terrific.

it is a very pretty place and the staff is friendly and accommodating.

i have been in the units that are poolside and they are clean and well appointed.

i have friends that rented a unit in the back there, not poolside or oceanview and when we visited them there, we felt those units were not on par with the ones poolside/ocean view. i felt those were dark and not as pretty....still clean and appointed fine, but just not as bright or as large. i think the unit our friends had was a studio. i was unimpressed with their unit.

make sure if you extend, ask for a unit poolside or oceanview.

we love the lo rise area.......quiet and low key.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsphr View Post
    We always stay at the Marriott Ocean or Surf and will for a week in July, but we're staying for two weeks and may want to try the second week in the low-rise area. How do folks like the Amsterdam Manor?

There are 2 types of studios (2 different rates) - standard or superior. The standard studios are either in the back (garden view) or located in the 3 level bldg on the side and may have a partial oceanview. All of the superior studios are located in front, ground level, and will be poolside or oceanview.

They also have one bedrooms and two bedroom suites. Over the years we've stayed in a superior studio once and the other stays have been in a one bedroom and two bedroom.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Thanks Lisa, Amy and Andrea for the information. We prefer quiet to crowded, and July at the Marriott Ocean is a LOT less congested than winter and spring. So, the Amsterdam also looks like a good choice to mix it up this time.

Amy, are the superior studios spacious? We'll try for a one bedroom, but the superior may be a good backup. It's just the two of us this trip.

Also, the beach is across the road, correct?

Thanks again for the reviews.

Aruba since 1979
    amy knows the accommodations so trust her reply.

i do know that the beach is across the street and amsterdam manor has plenty of palapas and lounges for the guests. no getting in line early for them!!

I am sure Amy has links to photos of that room, but there is a virtual tour of that category room at http://delivery.vrxstudios.com/50075...r=1&sizedFrame

I am attaching a view from their roof top cam. In the lower left is a balcony of a two bedroom suite. You can see the proximity of the beach to the building. That section of the beach is the very northern end. Their palapas and beach bar are to the south of that section of beach.

I think Andrea and Lisa covered the answers for you.

As they said, yes, the beach is across the street and there is a pedestrian walkway that takes a few steps to cross. Cars do stop for you - although it's usually the locals that stop and the V-cars (tourists) who do not.
    And if a car flashes their lights from far away (even in the daytime), that means they've seen you and are giving you the okay to cross now.

The link Lisa posted of the superior studio is pretty spot on. Just keep in mind that those virtual views do stretch out the photo a bit so it's not quite as big as it may look.

If you plan on using the kitchen area alot, the one bedrooms are nicer because they have a full kitchen and alot more counter space (plus a full size dining room table, chairs, etc.) All of the one bedrooms are also ground level in the front and will either be poolside or ocean view.

Amy, we'll use the kitchen a lot, so a one bedroom would probably work best. We've been by the place a hundred times, but never really took a good look. The beach looks so much quieter than Palm Beach, and I think we're ready to try the contrast.

Thanks Amy, Lisa and Andrea. You guys are the best. I'm so glad we found this forum years ago. Everyone is always so helpful.

Thankfully, the air fares seem to be pretty fair right now - about $520 from Rochester with one stop. I suspect the closer we get to the summer, the higher gas and air fares will get.

Take care,
    JS