Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aruba Marriott Pool Renovation Starts August 18

Though the information is posted on their website, you have to dig about to find it. It is buried under a renovation tab, even though the main page said "renovations completed".
    Thank goodness I read this forum- that is how I found out about the renovation. My only concern is going to be sharing a pool with two hotels worth of guests! Hopefully it won't be too busy that week!

I feel the same way

This is my first trip back to Aruba since my honeymoon 25 years ago. My husband and I will be taking our two teenage sons to re-visit where our lives began the week of August 23rd - 31st. I am so dissappointed that this is the first I am hearing about the pool. We planned this trip during a traditionally quiet time and we do understand that rennovations are necessary - but this is soooo dissappointing. I hope that sharing a pool with another hotel does not create chaios. Had we known, we would have booked a different hotel. This was our special trip as it probably is for many others. It was costly for both airfare and hotel, full disclosure on the front of the website, not tucked and hidden would have been appreciated. We will make the best of any situation, but still - I was hoping for a relaxing trip - not a chaiotic one.

Aruba since 1979
    i advise all to contact marriott
    state your cases
    explain your disappointment and frustrations

if you dealt directly with a travel agency, that travel agent can expedite the process.
    if you went thru priceline or travelocity or cheap caribbean or expedia etc... they are obligated to assist you in changing resorts.

if you are using marriott points check out the other places that accept those points...renaissance marina, renaissance ocean suites, and also check if they will take you in either surf or ocean clubs.

consider radisson?
    or hyatt?

i am surely sorry that folks are feeling frustrated.

our vacations are so VERY important.
    andrea

I have planned my vacation for August 29th thru September 5th. This is the first I have heard about the pool renovations. I made my reservations 3 months ago and I am a Marriott Platinum member. NOBODY bothered to notify me and I spend 100 nights a year in Marriott properties. I am really sick about this (not to mention incredibly p*ssed). Before I overreact, what should i expect if i keep my reservation? How far is the other pool? Is it different in style and experience? What am I missing? I am really upset about this and would appreciate any input anyone could provide. Thanks.

The pool at the Ocean Club is a short walk and a nicer pool.It has a swim up bar and is really nice.I don't know if you are allowed to use the Surf Club pool but that is even nicer only a little further.It also has a swim up bar and a lazy river pool.Its only a short walk and exercise doesn't hurt.Go and Enjoy you will love it there.

It is the surf club pool that is closed and both hotels will be sharing the Ocean Club pool. The walk certainly doesnt concern me - it is the overcrowding that i'm worried about. I contacted the time share and was basically told too bad, there is another pool to use. I also asked to change hotels and the only availability they had was at a much lower rated hotel that is not on the beach. I too booked both airline tickets and hotel about three months ago as well and feel very deceived. It should have been my choice whether I wanted the hassle. At least I have time to digest the news...wait until check in when the other guests find out for the first time....not thinking it is going to be a "happy place".

Aruba since 1979
    from my understanding it is the HOTEL pool under renovsaations and closed....NOT the surf or ocean club pools.

Please site ypur source
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by dcanno View Post
    It is the surf club pool that is closed and both hotels will be sharing the Ocean Club pool. The walk certainly doesnt concern me - it is the overcrowding that i'm worried about. I contacted the time share and was basically told too bad, there is another pool to use. I also asked to change hotels and the only availability they had was at a much lower rated hotel that is not on the beach. I too booked both airline tickets and hotel about three months ago as well and feel very deceived. It should have been my choice whether I wanted the hassle. At least I have time to digest the news...wait until check in when the other guests find out for the first time....not thinking it is going to be a "happy place".

http://www.arubaplayground.com/renovation/hotels/hotel-information/travel/auaar-aruba-marriott/Manager--s-Update-10.html

"General Manager's UpdateUpdated: June 3, 2009

Dear guests,

Once more I'd like to take the opportunity to use our virtual playground to inform you of the most recent developments that are still part of our $50 million beautification project.

In 10 days from now we'll have brand new elevators in the South Tower of our resort. They recently received a complete overhaul, both in the way they look as well in the latest technology that has been installed. This will improve the functionality of our elevators and hopefully contribute to an enhanced guest experience. The brand new elevators at the South Tower are scheduled to have their first 'ride' on Monday June 15th. On that same date, we'll take out the elevators on the opposite wing of the hotel and start the upgrading process of the remaining two guest elevators. Full completion of the elevator project is scheduled for mid August.

Which brings me to another exciting project that will commence mid August. During a six-week period we will be upgrading our pool facilities. The pool itself will be resurfaced and the surrounding rock formations in the pool area will be part of a beautification project. The pool upgrade activities are scheduled to be completed by the end of September. During this time our resort pool will be closed and we kindly ask all our guests to enjoy the pool facilities at our neighboring Marriott's Ocean Club.

Again, we do our utmost to deliver the best possible vacation experience for you, now and in the future. We thank you for your continued support and patience while we finalize the last projects that are part of the beautification project we started almost 2 years ago. We're almost there and we are confident you'll love what we've done to the hotel.

We hope to welcome you soon at our Playground for All Generations and wish you a pleasant vacation on our one happy island.

Sunny regards,

Richard S. Zeolla
    Vice President and General Manager Aruba Marriott"

As there is nothing much I can do about my reservation now, I'm very curious to find out what others feel the crowds at the pool will be like. When the Ocean Club went through renovations last year, those folks were pushed to the Stellaris pool so it should be somewhat similar assuming pool sizes are similar. Assuming the project was done during a slow period as this renovation is, was the pool overcrowded or manageable?

Pool Renovation

Yes we saw this on tripadvisor, every time we go on a nice vacation this happens, last time we stayed in Hawaii and was told to use the pool next door, it was jammed packed, I hope by the 15th of October it will be done, more worried about noise from construction. How far is the adjacent property to the Marriot Resort. Am so excited to be leaving in 45 days. yeaaaaah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast