Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoid staying at The Mill, if you can

Aruba since 1979
    i will not comment much about the mill except to say 2 things:

last week it was a top prize on Wheel of Fortune.

and

free wifi is not found at many of the aruba resorts.
    the mill should update their website.

lacabana charges $35 p week. (no free in lobby)
    Renaissance charges $70 p week for wired (free wifi in lobby)
    All of the Divis charge although i do not know their rate. (no free in lobby)

there is rarely any talk or reviews of the mill on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ArubanSunset View Post
    We stayed at the Mill last year, the service was marginal at best. The beds were like sleeping on rocks. But I expected that we would get what we paid for. We rebooked again this year and discovered despite their website stating free wifi in the lobby that there is now a fee of $10 a day or $35 for the week. I have never heard of such a thing. In this day and age wifi is an amenity everywhere you go..well escept The Mill. This will be our last year here. I would rather take my business elsewhere. I find it funny that tourism is their business, yet they are not keeping up with the times. Disappointing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    All of the Divis charge although i do not know their rate. (no free in lobby)

there is rarely any talk or reviews of the mill on this forum.
    Last I knew the Divi/Tamarijn was $35 a week for wifi and sporadic at best.

We stayed at the Mill a couple years ago and we decided that we would never return there. A co-worker and his wife have also vowed the same after a bad experience there last year. I do my best to avoid using my computer while I'm down there, but finding free wifi is very difficult and I've paid pretty much any time I've needed it.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Good morning,

My wife and I have stayed at The Mill for the last 5 years and like others, we will not be going back. It was, in previous years, a decent place to stay but it has been showing its age for sometime.

A few specific items.

The airconditioning is one of the problems. Like FromSpain experienced, during our last stay in 2011, the room was freezing. You really needed to wear your sandals because the floor was so cold.

Service has never been a strong point at The Mill, whether it be from the front desk to cleaning the rooms. We usually arrive into Aruba on that last American flight from MIA, and get to the hotel around midnight. Twice the front desk person instructed the security fellow to take us to our room. They looked at the room number in bewilderment, and had no idea where our room was. We found it on our own.

This next part relates to a specific aspect of the rooms' layouts, and there is some potential here for someone to hurt themselves. What were they thinking when putting in the electrical outlets in the kitchen area? There are none, except for the one behind the fridge. They provide a coffee maker, and like most small appliances it has a fairly short cord. The closest electrical outlet for it is way over to the right of the kitchen counter. Piling the phone book and The Bible (The Gideons really are thoughtful people, aren't they) on top of each other at the end of the counter, then putting the coffee maker on top of that, we were ablr to plug it in. You can see the potential for a carafe full of hot coffee being easily tipped over.

Mentioning any of these things to the management at The Mill usually results in a long, vacant stare, like we made this stuff up!

On previous occassions, we've stayed at Amsterdam Manor and Talk of The Town, and on my very first trip back in 1980 I stayed at Manchebo Beach.
    Next year, we will likely return to Amsterdam Manor.

Glenn

Aruba since 1979
    i wrote to the MILL a couple of days ago and asked that they respond to this thread and or give updates on their "resort."
    i got no reply.

re: the electric outlets at the mill and at some other resorts (including those not in aruba).
    paul and i always bring a power strip with us on our travels and leave one in our timeshare storage box. we feel at times overwhelmed with our stuff that needs to be charged/plugged in. life was so much easier before all of this technology.

the mill should provide power strips to their guests for the obvious.......coffee pots, blenders, can openers etc.... a broken coffee carafe and bare feet = disaster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12