Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bahia Principe gives ultimatum to Government re: Refinery

Aruba since 1979

Bahia Principe gives ultimatum to Government re: Refinery

http://noticiacla.com/news/3674

apparently the Bahia Prinicpe Resort's plans maybe dependant on the refinery "not reopening"

my translator gave a brief translation saying, they gave the government an ultimatum....if refinery reopens, "no bahia"

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    There is more info in English on page 5:

http://www.arubatraveller.com/papers...814/index.html

CK1
    Just a few days ago, on August 11, there was an article about restoring some historical buildings in San Nicolas (on page 5):

http://www.arubatraveller.com/papers...814/index.html

Aruba since 1979
    imo and i do not live there, so i really should not have an opinion on the refinery.

it is an old business. it is a has been.
    valero will PAY for the demolition and the clean up.
    too many people are too tied emotionally to the refinery.
    they "remember the days" , but those days have now come and gone.

i would love to see the site cleaned.
    condos and a nice marina and the area revitalized.
    the bahia resort...i have mixed feelings.
    san nic needs a good shot in the arm to bring it back to the beautiful town it once was.

again, i am not a resident so my views count for 0.

Governments LOVE being handed ultimatums.

CK1

I would really LOVE to see the refinery go. Remove that... revitalize the area. There is just only so many places that can be opened in the Palm Beach and Eagle Beach area. Would love to see that side slow down with growth and let developers concentrate on the other side of the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba-Mark View Post
    I would really LOVE to see the refinery go. Remove that... revitalize the area. There is just only so many places that can be opened in the Palm Beach and Eagle Beach area. Would love to see that side slow down with growth and let developers concentrate on the other side of the island.

My my concern is that the heavy emphasis on tourism as the single largest contributor to Arubas economy, presents some high risk. In the event of some global situation, which could easily happen given the state of the world today, the tourism sector could get hit hard and economically Aruba would suffer big time. Also, remember other islands are developing their tourism and Cuba is coming on stream. Surely, it would be advantageous for Aruba to have some industry such as the refinery back in business. Yes, it's an old business. There have been quantum leaps in better and cleaner refining technologies. A refit and upgrade is probably in order. What would this cost as opposed to the dismantling and reclamation of the land? If 3000 jobs were to be restored I am sure there would be economic spinoff for Saint Nicolaas

just a thought about this subject. Would Bahia offer as much?

j

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    My my concern is that the heavy emphasis on tourism as the single largest contributor to Arubas economy, presents some high risk. In the event of some global situation, which could easily happen given the state of the world today, the tourism sector could get hit hard and economically Aruba would suffer big time. Also, remember other islands are developing their tourism and Cuba is coming on stream. Surely, it would be advantageous for Aruba to have some industry such as the refinery back in business. Yes, it's an old business. There have been quantum leaps in better and cleaner refining technologies. A refit and upgrade is probably in order. What would this cost as opposed to the dismantling and reclamation of the land? If 3000 jobs were to be restored I am sure there would be economic spinoff for Saint Nicolaas

just a thought about this subject. Would Bahia offer as much?

j
    I somewhat agree but don't think re-tooling the refinery is the solution. Aruba is already making strides in alternative energy (wind, solar, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels) and should continue in that vein for R&D, appealing to luxury "green" travel/tourism and potentially become a world leader in conversion to same. Also, their success in desalinization should be studied and adapted by places like the third world and, yikes, California.

There's nothing comparable to Aruba (Curacao and Bonaire) for weather in the western hemisphere. Tourists definitely roll the dice when it comes to weather in Cuba and hurricanes are an issue in the region as well as the balance of the Caribbean.

It would benefit the island, from a macroeconomic standpoint, to have a "plan b" if tourism starts to falter and I think the above would be a stable direction.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I somewhat agree but don't think re-tooling the refinery is the solution. Aruba is already making strides in alternative energy (wind, solar, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels) and should continue in that vein for R&D, appealing to luxury "green" travel/tourism and potentially become a world leader in conversion to same. Also, their success in desalinization should be studied and adapted by places like the third world and, yikes, California.

There's nothing comparable to Aruba (Curacao and Bonaire) for weather in the western hemisphere. Tourists definitely roll the dice when it comes to weather in Cuba and hurricanes are an issue in the region as well as the balance of the Caribbean.

It would benefit the island, from a macroeconomic standpoint, to have a "plan b" if tourism starts to falter and I think the above would be a stable direction.

hi

appreciate your thoughts

With respect to California, there are presently 20 salt water desalination plants under construction or in development. The largest in Carlsbad is starting to produce. There have been extensive studies done. A good one to read has been produced by the Pacific Institute.

I agree with your comments about Aruba going green and self sustaining, but fossil fuels are still needed there. Could the refinery produce Avgas for the high volume of aircraft visiting and fuelling in Aruba. That Avgas is imported at high cost.

While Aruba goes green, how many steady full time jobs will be created? Also, what happens to that industry if there is an economic turndown? I would hope that if the refinery is restarted, the goal would be both to produce for local use but with emphasis on producing product for export to the international market.

i guess what concerns me is that Aruba needs to diversify.

I agree with you about the weather

Let's just hope that tourism proves to be sustainable for Aruba.

enjoyed reading your thoughts on this

J

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast