Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Disappointed in new Divi policy

Disappointed in new Divi policy

We have been going to the Divi All Inclusive for 7 years - this year would have been our 8th - and found out upon calling for reservations, that they have changed their policy regarding children 11 - 17. Previously children 17 and under stayed free, but now are charged $75 per child per night. This, along with the general price increase from last year, made our per night price increase 60%. As much as I love the Divi, this has made an affordable vacation unaffordable for us. I understand that this won't effect people with very small children or people with no children, but I can't believe we are the only ones that won't be returning. I believe that this policy will also be in effect for the Tam, which seems to have had many teenagers in the past. I am going to look into rental houses or condos. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Aruba since 1979
    you could look into renting a timeshare unit.

go to the timeshare category and begin your search.

it is a shame that the policy change.
    i know we brought our son to the Tamarijn numerous times and the policy was kids under age 18 stay and eat for free. But, have not been back to the Tam since around 2004.

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

Next to the Divi are 2 timeshares, Casa del Mar and Aruba Beach Club.
    Between them they have 1 and 2 bedroom units, some 2 bath, .....
    Rates are lower if not going Prime Time. Also renting from a owner at either can lower price even more.

We will also not be returning to the Divi AI this year for the same reason. Given 2 of the 4 children we are bringing will now be charged for. The fact that we already need 2 rooms makes it expensive enough! We also do not eat dinner at the resort every night since there are so many restaurants we love in Aruba, and it is nice to go off property sometimes. Children being free made economic sense to do AI, but now it would not be worth it. We are instead renting a timeshare for 2 weeks at Costa Linda- 2 BR for $1500 per week. Even staying 2 weeks will cost less then our normal 8 nights at the Divi even when I factor in what I feel we will spend on food and drinks.
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Aruba since 1979
    i really feel it is important for you fine loyal DIVI / Tamarijn folks to start a letter writing campaign.
    Let them know how disappointed you are.

.........and great deal at costa linda katherine.

Jmho

As disappointed as our family was, we realize that it was a business decision and are not taking it personally. They are after all running a business and will charge what the market will bear. Should the new pricing structure not work to their advantage, you will soon see specials. I think it is also important to realize that the Divi/Tamarijn is also now catering to the Uk market as well and they had never offered "children free" through their UK tour operator.

Everyone can vote with their pocketbooks.

Aruba since 1979
    lisa.........for example back in the early 2000s when we stayed at the Tamarijn and our son stayed for free........if a family from the UK was staying in the same kind of room as ours with a kid the same age as mine had to "pay" for the kid at the Tamarijn?

does the tam or divi offer a children's rate?

======
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    As disappointed as our family was, we realize that it was a business decision and are not taking it personally. They are after all running a business and will charge what the market will bear. Should the new pricing structure not work to their advantage, you will soon see specials. I think it is also important to realize that the Divi/Tamarijn is also now catering to the Uk market as well and they had never offered "children free" through their UK tour operator.

We have Canadian friends that every year would bring thier niece. Think they were paying $50-$75/day for her. Was on the website this morning and see that the published for 2 during high season is now $533.

Over the past 12 yrs we have seen the resort become increasingly more popular. Resort in turn has been continually upgrading the facilities. Looking forward to ou next visit with upgraded bathroom and quiet air conditioning.

Past couple years we have had many friends that were unable to book into Tamarijn during our normal March timeframe. They either stayed @ Divi, or did not visit the island. Expect that for those families that look elsewhere due to the new policy for children, there'll be others to take the spot. Guess it's our fault for telling all how great the deal and facilities/staff were.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

I was just on the Divi site this morning and they are running the 30% off special, It also says children under 17 stay and eat free AI thru December, 2011. However, if you click on the 30% off add it says $75 for children 11 and older. I'm wondering if you keep and eye on the specials if you may get the rate you're looking for.
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 09-13-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    It was late and my typing ability is limited this week due to an injury , but just wanted to add that this past summer we stayed at the Radisson instead of the Tamarijn.

With the special package pricing and its offerings including a $300 beverage credit, we booked through MCM Tours, we overall spent less $$$ than we would have if we had stayed at the Tamarijn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast