Aruba Beach

Thread: Divi AI / Marriott Hotel decision in the works!

Druif Beach, Divi Divi AI, Red Sail Sports, Black Pearl

Divi AI / Marriott Hotel decision in the works!

If someone can help evaluate between $1833 per person Divi All Inclusive and $1042 per person Marriott Stellaris (no meals) flight and hotel for week in July. We stayed at Divi, love the beach-- less people. We tend to get tired of buffet, so we end up eating out (Madam Janettes and the like...)... so for family of 4 (18 and 13 year old boys) I'm thinking we could never eat and drink at Marriott to come close to Divi total cost. Yes, wife and I can drink...but that usually slows down after a couple days when we are unwound... we are just talking in circles trying to determine which place to go. Beaches are not comparable ( Marriott high rise area is mobbed...but we are Marriott Rewards members...so the points staying there will add up to free stays elsewhere, as well as food and bev expenses. Just thinking those who also go to Aruba can weigh in...

For me it's all about the beach and I don't like crowds so the Divi it is.

Aruba since 1979
    people can run the numbers til the cows come home.....but you know what works for you and your family.
    are kids free at divi?
    are kids free at marriott or does that $1042 cover them as well?

have you ever considered renting a timeshare (costa linda or similar 2 bedroom unit) maybe $1500 +/- , being in a quieter section with magnificent beach ? you would save a considerable amount of $. breakfasts and lunches could be from your kitchen and dinners out?

i remember when my kid was 13 and boy could he eat and eat and eat!
    the leftovers that we brought back to our timeshare from places like Madam Janette, never were in the fridge the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jabooty View Post
    If someone can help evaluate between $1833 per person Divi All Inclusive and $1042 per person Marriott Stellaris (no meals) flight and hotel for week in July. We stayed at Divi, love the beach-- less people. We tend to get tired of buffet, so we end up eating out (Madam Janettes and the like...)... so for family of 4 (18 and 13 year old boys) I'm thinking we could never eat and drink at Marriott to come close to Divi total cost. Yes, wife and I can drink...but that usually slows down after a couple days when we are unwound... we are just talking in circles trying to determine which place to go. Beaches are not comparable ( Marriott high rise area is mobbed...but we are Marriott Rewards members...so the points staying there will add up to free stays elsewhere, as well as food and bev expenses. Just thinking those who also go to Aruba can weigh in...

Apples and oranges comparison. Your eating habits, fine dining or Mc D's, with the kids would probably factor into the price.

Absolutely an apples an oranges comparison... Our debate was based on fact that we are Marriott Rewards members, so expenses at those properties are offset by point kickback (free stays down the line)... and fact that Stellaris is running a 20% off room rate now... about $239 for Premium Ocean Front View...plus $200 credit...which off sets the pool side expenses first day.

The beach...that is the true calling to the Divi. Stayed last year...first time away from high rise section, swore we would never return. It's like a private beach at Divi...

The fact that we eat out (finer) dinners after doing a couple nights at Divi AI, made us realize the $800 pp more, plus the dinners we would eat out anyway...directs us to take up the Marriott deal..venturing back to high rises. Rate went up at least $400 pp from last year at Divi...that hurt... loved that beach. Plus for Marriott are the rooms and pools. You can justify anything...so the way I do this is we won't spend more than Divi's price difference and every dollar we spend amounts to a Marriott credit on the (expensive) food and drinks...but we amount those point quickly, where we are staying a week for free down the road. If Divi was still about $400 pp less as it was last year...I would have went there...not for the AI...the food and bevs were "ok"... but for access to that beach...with the bevs. Wow!!

Booked Marriott... looking forward to rackin' up points (justification!) in July.

Couple additional questions...

Does anyone know the palapa routine at the Stellaris? Where you need to be, by when to get a (free) reservation for the following day??

...and since we just booked and will be counting the days... how DO you get the "counter" on the footer of your postings (counting down to your next stay??)

Thanks all

Although you have already made your decision, I was going to say that I don't think the beach will be crazy busy in July, not compared to high season. In terms of eating out, there are a number of less expensive breakfast and lunch alternatives in the area. You may have heard about Scott's Bratts on this website? It is a 10 min beach walk and our kids love the $4 breakfast sandwiches and donut next door from dunkin donuts. Scott's also has very reasonable lunches as do other places within beach walking distance. We love the pizza from pizza del mar (Holiday Inn) right next door to the Surf Club. Just to name a few.

Your hotel room is equipped with a pretty good size Bar fridge so you can also put some milk and buy some cereal too. Also, you can put some soft drinks and some snacks there as well.

There are a number of good restaurants within walking distance so you can save on the cab fare too. Also, within walking distance some inexpensive places to go with your kids for dinner. Casa Tua, Yees Chinese, Smokey Joes, to name a few.

Totally different experience from one area to the other. We found that as our kids got older they liked the "action" of the high rise district. Both are great areas but you have to decide what works best for you as your children at different ages and stages.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    i cannot answer any of your palapa questions.
    but here is the link for putting in your countdown ticker
    How to: Place A Countdown Ticker In Your Signature

tickerfactory.com is the most popular here

Quote Originally Posted by jabooty View Post
    Couple additional questions...

Does anyone know the palapa routine at the Stellaris? Where you need to be, by when to get a (free) reservation for the following day??

...and since we just booked and will be counting the days... how DO you get the "counter" on the footer of your postings (counting down to your next stay??)

Thanks all

Always helpful! Thanks!
    Last edited by jabooty; 02-21-2013 at 04:41 PM.

We always go with the Divi and have never been disappointed!