Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Divi All Inclusive Questions

Druif Beach, Divi Divi AI, Red Sail Sports, Black Pearl

Divi All Inclusive Questions

Prepping for departure next week. We usually stay at Marriotts but Surf Club felt like Vegas so we decided to escape to low rise, first timers there...few questions re: Divi All Inclusive...thanks in advance for your insight!

We spend morning until sunset under a palapa on most days, so getting one is KEY and in good position is even more mission critical. At Marriot they had this elaborate reservation system, it was a pain, but committment was key!

• Securing a Beach Palapa:
    1. What is the best "strategy" (time of morning)?
    2. Where do you get the beach towels?
    3. Do I need to find beach attendant to unlock lounge chairs?
    4. Are they the size that provides shade for 4? (We're traveling with our two teen boys)
    Equally important, where can I get COFFEE based on the time you suggest I would need to "stake a claim" - - I get up early anyway, so no stress it's all good, just need to know what to do and what worked for you! If I don't get a palapa, I'll be banned from the fam and I LOVE my fam!!

• Reservations for AI restaurants (since we arrive mid week, hope we don't get shut out...)
    1. Where do you make them (at front desk at check-in or consierge desk?)
    2. Can you make reservations for Divi and Tam at one location?
    3. Can you make all restuarant reservations for week at arrival?
    4. Understand (ie $30 pp) payment required for Windows...but does that then include everything?

• Transportation
    1. We'll take bus to restaurants off property...first time using bus. Where do you get it? How much? Exact change?
    2. If we want to take cab, how do you arrange for it? Waiting at lobby? What is typical fare to high rise or Oranjastad? Still unsure where Divi is and we have been to Aruba 5 times, just never looked and stayed under our palapa!
    If there is anything else that would make me appear to be smart to my family while staying at the Divi, I could use all the help I can get (with insider tips)!!

Thanks so much...I promise to pay it forward on this board based on what I learn from you!

All the best to you....Time to pack for HEAVEN!!

Securing a Beach Palapa:
    What is the best "strategy" (time of morning)? EARLY, EARLY!!! We always go out around 5am and the go back to bed. We go to breakfast around 7:30 then plop for the day!
    Where do you get the beach towels? They will give you cards upon arrival for towels. The tower hut is near the beach, behind the pool.
    Do I need to find beach attendant to unlock lounge chairs? No, chairs aren't locked
    Are they the size that provides shade for 4? (We're traveling with our two teen boys) Not sure about 4 with teenage boys - we are two and we fit fine.
    Equally important, where can I get COFFEE based on the time you suggest I would need to "stake a claim" - - I get up early anyway, so no stress it's all good, just need to know what to do and what worked for you! If I don't get a palapa, I'll be banned from the fam and I LOVE my fam!! Not real sure where the coffee machine is - think it's over by the gift shops or near the buffet restaurant - they moved it last year, just ask!!
    Reservations for AI restaurants (since we arrive mid week, hope we don't get shut out...)
    Where do you make them (at front desk at check-in or consierge desk?) Concierge desk - go right after you check in. You have to make them two days in advance. We were never shut out, but have to be flexible with times.
    Can you make reservations for Divi and Tam at one location? YES
    Can you make all restuarant reservations for week at arrival? No, only two days in advance for the day - i.e. Monday for Wednesday, Tuesday for Thursday, etc.
    Understand (ie $30 pp) payment required for Windows...but does that then include everything? Think so, but haven't tried that yet -
    Transportation
    We'll take bus to restaurants off property...first time using bus. Where do you get it? How much? Exact change? There is a stop for downtown right out front of the Divi. If you are doing to the high rise, the stop is across the street and down the side street a bit - you'll see the glassed in area. Don't need exact change - it's pretty cheap!!
    If we want to take cab, how do you arrange for it? Waiting at lobby? What is typical fare to high rise or Oranjastad? Still unsure where Divi is and we have been to Aruba 5 times, just never looked and stayed under our palapa! Divi is about 10 minutes from the airport by cab. It's about 5 minutes outside Oranjastad. Cabs are waiting right outside the lobby.

Thanks for fast response Hockeymom! Very helpful.

Just a follow up on palapa's...if you go out that early, is towel hut already open? I'm curious what you leave to mark the palapa and lounges as "taken" if the towel hut is not open...

At the end of the day, instead of reclaiming your towel card, just exchange your used towels for fresh ones. In the morning when you wake up you will have fresh towels to put out. I know at the Tamarijn the towel hut was open 7 am to 7 pm.

Not real sure where the coffee machine is - think it's over by the gift shops or near the buffet restaurant - they moved it last year, just ask!!
    If you do not like the coffee from the machine, the buffet opens at 7 am and you will be able to get coffee there to bring back to your palapa or room.

We are a family of three and "just" fit under a palapa. We have also found though that now that our dd is getting older, she does not spend the entire time with us during the day at the palapa, so may not be an issue for you to have two entire palapas.

We do not like eating dinner at the buffet for dinner. In order to be able to secure a restaurant reservation for our night of arrival we took advantage of making an advance reservation at Windows on Aruba. There is a $35 per person surcharge for a three course dinner. It does not include any beverages. Check the menu http://www.windowsonaruba.com/download/MainMenu.pdf beforehand to make sure that everyone is your family will like it. Even if you have "meat and potato" eaters, their beef is excellent.

"Located at The Links at Divi Aruba golf course:

• Windows on Aruba serves lunch and fine dining menus with creative cuisine complemented by vintage wines. For a limited time guests of the Divi & Tamarijn Aruba, can enjoy this fine dining restaurant for only a $35 per person surcharge."

We'll take bus to restaurants off property...first time using bus. Where do you get it? How much? Exact change?
    Keep in mind the bus does not go everywhere. For example, if you were having dinner at Madame Janette, the bus will not get you there and you would need to take a taxi.

Appreciating the info..taking notes!

This info is helpful. We like to hit the ground running and not wasting time in heaven trying to figure things out, just doing them!

Those who call Divi second home, would you be willing to share anything that it would take awhile (few visits) to learn, specifically related to staying at Divi??

Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.

One thing I noticed, that people didn't seem to be aware of, is that the Pelican Terrace has plastic plates, so if you're on the beach and just want to grab a bite, you can just throw on a cover up, grab something from the buffet and eat at the bar. Afterwards, I like to go over to the Coco Bar, get some green cream dementhe in a cup and fill it with ice cream from the self serve by the bar. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I did notice coffee pots off the lobby near the parrot cages when I was there in April.

I think the #1 thing I would suggest is that if you want shade, get out there early as I said in an earlier post. Granted we go in March and the resort is mostly sold out, but the first year we strolled out there at 9am and the shade was gone! We were lucky to find a palm tree that we pulled a couple of lounges under. I like the option of taking the bus. It's cheaper than a cab. They also have privately owned? minivans that will stop at the bus stops and offer you a ride - don't be afraid to take them. The first time I was like - no way - but another tourist at the bus stop said come on, it's fine - and it was!! Mostly locals use these so it's a way to meet some people you probably would not have. Arubians are very friendly. One more Divi tip - tips! Although you don't HAVE to, throw the bartender a few bucks when you order your first drink and you'll get great service - just don't be too generous at 11am when the bar opens as they change up bartenders. Every few drinks we throw them a buck or two and the next time we go to the bar, the drink is waiting.

Enjoy - we've been 4 times in the past 4 years and are anxiously looking forward to our next trip in the Spring.

I'm thankful for all the tips...it doesn't take long to settle into Aruba, but we have gone to same properties a few times because we like to just know how it goes. We decided low rise property this time because the high rise area is feeling so unlike the Aruba we first met a 9 years ago...change happens, but I like idea of smaller friendly get to know people Divi - - at least for the week. I definately get the treat my bartender well tip...in my mind, "hydration" is critical on the island.

Based on how friendly you all have been with sharing what you know, I'm hoping it's a "Divi Thing" that will make us adopt the property as our new Aruba home! We need to move from high rise. Marriot Surf club was like staying in NYC...roped into a small place, looong walk and multi floors from room to beach, boats in and out all day....I just want to get away from it all.

Quote Originally Posted by jabooty View Post
    We need to move from high rise. Marriot Surf club was like staying in NYC...roped into a small place, looong walk and multi floors from room to beach, boats in and out all day....I just want to get away from it all.
    Though only 3 star, the Divi will fit your requirements perfectly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast