Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Divi All Inclusive Questions

[QUOTE=hockeymom;209368]I think the #1 thing I would suggest is that if you want shade, get out there early as I said in an earlier post. Granted we go in March and the resort is mostly sold out, but the first year we strolled out there at 9am and the shade was gone! We were lucky to find a palm tree that we pulled a couple of lounges under. QUOTE]

I understand the you need to get out to the beach very early to secure a Palapa, but what about just getting a lounge chair (not necissarily in shade)? Are the lounge chairs also scooped up first thing in the morning? I definitly don't want to sleep away my vacation... but I'm really not a morning person and don't want to have to wake up at 7am every morning of my vacation!! HAHA
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Chairs are not a problem - they have more than enough of them. It's just the shade that's the problem. The first year we were there, we were able to pull a few chairs under a palm tree and get enough shade. That was before we learned the early morning trick.

I wish they'd come up with a better way as I don't enjoy getting up early on my vacation either, but until they do.....it's nothing an afternoon nap doesn't take care of!!

Enjoy!

Druif Beach, Divi Divi AI, Red Sail Sports, Black Pearl
    The first morning when we were shut out of the palapa options, I went poolside and there are various pergola options, which break up sun. It was hotter than usual some days when we stayed at the Divi (Aug 17 to 25) as the tradewinds subsided a bit, so we also went to the patio of our room just off the beach, which was all in shade with a hammock between palm trees. If you get too hot, just use a floating "noodle" they give you at the towel hut to stay in water (beach or pool) with your drink. I never found myself uncomfortable, because there were so many options...even showers just to get your hair wet. It's so relaxed and you should not feel you will need to be competitive at this property, plenty of seating and personal space galore! It's just that the palapa are a favorite for many...so they all get taken (towel placed on lounge chair) by 7:00am. There are plenty of lounge chairs if you simply want to pull one out from stack to beach location or even down to the water. We were nice and cool at all times and the drinks kept things even cooler.

How did you feel about your stay at the Divi AI as compared to the high rise area? We've always stayed at the Divi because it is so relaxed, the beach is not as crowded and I really like the staff there. My only downside is that, as a foodie,the food choices may not be quite up to par. I absolutely love the breakfast buffet, and think that's their strong point. I can generally find something I like in the evening, and the price for the AI is reasonable enough that I have no problem going off resort at least a few times during our stay.

Aruba since 1979
    you do not find the "red parrott and paparazzi" up to par?

we have always liked both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    How did you feel about your stay at the Divi AI as compared to the high rise area? We've always stayed at the Divi because it is so relaxed, the beach is not as crowded and I really like the staff there. My only downside is that, as a foodie,the food choices may not be quite up to par. I absolutely love the breakfast buffet, and think that's their strong point. I can generally find something I like in the evening, and the price for the AI is reasonable enough that I have no problem going off resort at least a few times during our stay.

I wanted to like the Red Parrot, but we sat, staff rushed to take order (ok), but they started taking salad plates no more than 12 mins after they were set, because our entrees were ready. My shrimp meal totally tasted like it was prepped in advance and under a heater...and as we were eating the waiter asked if we were thinking about dessert. I kid you not. The service was RUSHED (which is so odd on the island) and the food quality did NOT overcome the annoyance of having your desired relaxing dinner set to fast forward. Menu was very limited as well. We just decided to abort dinners on the property rather than risk another bad experience. We went back to our best bet restaurants for dinner, but the breakfast and lunch buffets were nice and we like fact we could stay on the beach. It was our first stay at the Divi, so we also went to Red Parrot first night without reservation with no less than 9 tables open in front of us, and they would not entertain seating us. They must maintain a minimal amount of tables (dont seat them all). I never did try Paparazzi, even though we made reservations, listening to others we met, saying it was average at best. Having to get reservations early in the morning made it not worth going for them, given what we experienced and what we heard. We LOVED the restaurants when we went to off property and that go us back around the island and broke things up. Just because the Divi is all inclusive, we agreed we were not going to remain on property for everything and the restaurants for dinner, were not near reason to make us wonder if we should stay. We left for dinner and were so happy we did.

Dinner Reservations

I've seen a lot of posts here, as well as on other sites saying that you can only make dinner reservations two days out, (IE Early Monday morning for a Wednesday night Reservation). Does anyone know if it's possible to call the resort a couple days before arriving to make a reservation for the night we arrive?

Also... is the timing of reservation making as strict when it is not busy season? We are visiting at the end of October, so I wasn't sure if we will still need to make reservations two days in advance. One more thing is that we don't mind eating on the later side... we would have no problem with having dinner at 8:00pm, anyone know if maybe we would be able to walk in to dinners at the time of night?

As always thanks in advance for all the awesome info!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Dinner Reservations

While it was my first time staying at the Divi a few weeks back, I never read that the "two day in advance" reservation policy was lifted during slow periods. Perhaps those that stay year over year know and I would imagine they are able to walk up without reservations since they go so often they remember. I was a rookie this year and we also like later dinners while on vacation. I can tell you there was one night at Divi where we walked up to Red Parrot and half the tables were empty at 8:15pm. I asked if we could be seated without reservations and was kindly told - - no. We happened to eat at the buffet next door, and we noticed the tables were never filled. I think they don't fill to capacity at any hour in the ala carte restaurants. I did notice a guy seated at the activities desk across from the check in desk about 7:30am each day. I wondered why since nobody was working. He was reading his book and I learned, waiting for the desk to open at 8:00am to make his dinner reservation. I passed by at 8:00am and there were about 12 people in the line. It moved quick, but if you want to make reservations later in the night, that's less of an issue. I believe that since they don't sit all tables, their sit down restaurants get "full" without actually being full. As for calling or emailing, I found the Divi to be VERY receptive to our requests and I did hear of one person sending an email to make reservation. I would do that if you want to secure reservation for your second night, it's worth a shot. (I don't have the email handy...)

Andrea, Unfortunately we didn't care for Red Parrot or Paparazzi. The atmosphere at Red Parrot was pleasant but I found the food to be pretty bland and at Paparazzi they made the lasagna with cottage cheese. A big no no IMHO. We haven't been back to either since our first visit in 2009. Maybe I should give them another try? Normally, we stick to the buffet and then head off resort for 3 or 4 dinners.

Aruba since 1979
    awe heck, one can get "lasagna with cottage cheese from STOUFFERS frozen".....not expected in Aruba.
    that i feel is unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Andrea, Unfortunately we didn't care for Red Parrot or Paparazzi. The atmosphere at Red Parrot was pleasant but I found the food to be pretty bland and at Paparazzi they made the lasagna with cottage cheese. A big no no IMHO. We haven't been back to either since our first visit in 2009. Maybe I should give them another try? Normally, we stick to the buffet and then head off resort for 3 or 4 dinners.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast