Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LCCVR

Thread: Divi or Tamarijn

Question Divi or Tamarijn

Hi,

I've been a few times to Aruba in the past, but it was about 20 years ago (the Natural Bridge was still up). I think I won't recognize the island anymore...

Well, I'm planning a trip to stay 9 days with my wife and my boy (7-year-old) in a AI resort. Many people recommended me Divi hotel.

I browsed Divi/Tararijn website and found out that both share the same structure of restaurants and activities. However, Tamarijn prices are reasonably lower than Divi's.

My questions:
    1) Why is Tamarijn cheaper than Divi? As Tamarijn's rooms are all oceanfront, wasn't it supposed to be more expensive?
    2) Is the beach exactly the same?
    3) How nice are the swimming pools in either one?
    4) Is there any self-service restaurant in Tamarijn, or only in Divi?
    5) Is there any activity offered to guests of one hotel not extended to guests of the other hotel?
    6) What is the Tamarijn All Inclusive Suites at Dutch Village? I saw it's more expensive than Divi.

We want to do activities such as beach, windsurfing, swimming pool and biking. A la cart restaurants are an option for dinner sometimes, but we prefer the easiness of a self-service restaurant.
    7) Which one is more suitable for us, Divi or Tamarijn?

Thanks.

Aruba since 1979
    hi
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

i never ever found out why tam is a little less expensive than the divi ai.

beach is not exactly the same.
    all of the tam rooms are oceanfront, but not necessarily beachfront.
    periodically the sand shifts/changes position/area. especially at the tamarijn.

it is not though, like waking up in the morning and having no beach at the tamarijn.......but mother nature does play games.

at the divi, mother nature is a bit more subtle.

the swimming pools are basic........absolutely nothing special or fancy

as far as i know there is self serve/buffet at both tam and divi
    (but i may be wrong, if they made a change)
    the paparazzi and red parrot, ala carte are usually pretty good.
    give them a try.

all divi and tamarijn guests enjoy the same activities

divi dutch timeshare shares the same campus as the tamarijn, for those that need suite like/apartment like, they offer these units as an option and they are more expensive as they are larger than the tam or divi ai hotel rooms.

there are usually more children at the tamarijn and for that reason only i am recommending it to you for your family.

you wil have beach, pool, watersports and biking

enjoy

QUOTE=LCCVR;235437]Hi,

I've been a few times to Aruba in the past, but it was about 20 years ago (the Natural Bridge was still up). I think I won't recognize the island anymore...

Well, I'm planning a trip to stay 9 days with my wife and my boy (7-year-old) in a AI resort. Many people recommended me Divi hotel.

I browsed Divi/Tararijn website and found out that both share the same structure of restaurants and activities. However, Tamarijn prices are reasonably lower than Divi's.

My questions:
    1) Why is Tamarijn cheaper than Divi? As Tamarijn's rooms are all oceanfront, wasn't it supposed to be more expensive?
    5) Is there any activity offered to guests of one hotel not extended to guests of the other hotel?
    6) What is the Tamarijn All Inclusive Suites at Dutch Village? I saw it's more expensive than Divi.

We want to do activities such as beach, windsurfing, swimming pool and biking. A la cart restaurants are an option for dinner sometimes, but we prefer the easiness of a self-service restaurant.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by LCCVR View Post
    The Divi Resort is a bit more upscale than the Tamarijn.
    Yes
    Like Andrea said pretty basic, but the Divi's pool is larger and the area as a whole is more upscale.
    Both resorts have buffet restaurants and each has their own pizza/snack/sandwich bar, includes kid friendly items besides pizza- French fries, self serve ice cream, pop corn and chicken tenders.
    The two resorts share all facilities and amenities.

BUT the kids club is located on the Tamarijn property. If stay at the Divi you would need to take your child to the Tamarijn for the club and then return for pick up.
    Unless you require a suite, including a kitchen, imo overkill. Take the money you would save NOT staying there and stay an extra night or two.

We have stayed at the Tamarijn 5 times. Our daughter first stayed there when she was 11 yo and last stayed there in July at the age of 16. She would tell you your child would most likely want to participate in the kids club and the Tamarijn is THE place to be. Their pool is a "kid magnet" and the Tamarijn as a whole is EXTREMELY family friendly. I agree

Welcome! Last November we (me, wife, kids ages 9 and 5) stayed 15 days at the Divi, and this November we will stay 12 days at the Tamarijn! Please see bold below

My guess on the price difference is the Divi beach is longer, greater distance from the rooms to the ocean. This allows the Divi to hire a beach cleaning machine, kind of like an ice rink zamboni. Every morning about 6 or 7 am they use this machine to clean the beach, don’t worry you will not hear it and only see it if you are up early. The Tamarijn is much smaller I never noticed a machine clean the beach. Plus I guess there may be a higher demand for the Divi.

No, see above.

Last year at the Divi, a smaller pool was located behind our room. Our patio to the pool was about 15 feet, this was real cool. Our days were spent at the beach and before dinner the kids loved the pool. Both resorts have a similar main pool. I noticed on the Tam map that there are little pools behind the rooms. I think those pools are part of the Divi Dutch village, but you can use them.

Yes, we at both resorts for BF and Dinner. It was the same exact food.

I believe the Tam has more kid services. The one day we walked over they had a free tie dye thing going on and the kids loved it. They said they would be at the Divi one day that week, but we never saw them. Also, the free snorkel gear center, located near the rock wall, was only at the Tam. They would lend you the gear from 9-5, so I did not like the idea of walking there every day. I wished the Divi offered that same kind of service. Oh ya, the Tam also offered free bike rentals. 3 out of the 4 a la cart restaurants were at the Tam, and the Tam had lots of cool little shops unlike the Divi.

Sorry can’t answer that one.

I will leave that answer up to you. Come mid November, I will have stayed at both places and I will then be able to make that call, ha ha.

In addition to my comments above, I selected the Tam this year over the Divi b/c it is cheaper and I loved the view the guests must have had from their rooms. It must be crazy to sit on your bed and see the ocean like that. I can sit on the beach and watch the kids run to the room to use the facilities etc. Yes Divi rooms were an angle which was real awesome, but to me it looks like the Tam is just a tad better. A true ocean front, right on the beach directly.

click on thumbnails to enlarge

Some Tamarijn room views

Tamarijn Patio view

EAGLE & PALM BEACH ORANJESTAD PADDOCK - MADAME JEANETTE SOLE MARE KUKKO KUNUKOO
    Great responses as always...and right on the money! If you are travelling with a 7 yr. old, Tamarijn is the way to go. Hit the Divi when the two of you can go alone.

Thumbs up Thanks a lot

Hi,

thank you all for the answers. They were very valuable and helped me to make the decision.

It's always good to hear from someone who knows the place and does not need to provide an "official" point of view.