Aruba Beach

Thread: Holiday Inn beach umbrellas?

Holiday Inn beach umbrellas?

My husband is a fair red head and he has just had a cancerous melanoma removed from his back. It is vital to us that he have shade for the beach. We are staying at the Holiday Inn and their palapa reservation system is horrible. No I don't want to get a credit card or line up for an hour the day before. Does the Holiday Inn have any shaded areas on the beach? Is there no enterprising person who rents chairs with umbrellas or just the umbrellas on the beaches? Thanks for your help. Linda

There are some some areas shaded by trees on the side over on the Moomba Beach side of the hotel. There is also an umbrella vendor in the same area.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    IMO, it's absolutely vital that your husband stays in the shade AND applies a good quality sunscreen often. My skin is very fair as well and the sun in Aruba is VERY strong, being so close to the equator. I missed a small spot on my back on an overcast day in Aruba, being only two hours at the beach and got badly sunburned.

I don't know the umbrella situation at the Holiday Inn but Moomba's bar is close by, they have great shade there. Maybe that's an option to hang out there a bit?

CK1
    Another thought: The sun is the strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
    Maybe if you spend your beach time in the morning hours and late afternoon? And go on your sight-seeing tours during the day? That's how I did it but I'm not particular a beach person.

Amsterdam Manor, anywhere with a hot sun and a cold drink.
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    IMO, it's absolutely vital that your husband stays in the shade AND applies a good quality sunscreen often. My skin is very fair as well and the sun in Aruba is VERY strong, being so close to the equator. I missed a small spot on my back on an overcast day in Aruba, being only two hours at the beach and got badly sunburned.

I don't know the umbrella situation at the Holiday Inn but Moomba's bar is close by, they have great shade there. Maybe that's an option to hang out there a bit?
    I learned this the hard way on my first trip to Aruba. I was on medication at the time for something and one of the side-effects was 'may interact with direct sunlight.' Ten days in Aruba later I had a sun rash from my toes to...uh...just south of MY equator.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by amumma View Post
    I learned this the hard way on my first trip to Aruba. I was on medication at the time for something and one of the side-effects was 'may interact with direct sunlight.' Ten days in Aruba later I had a sun rash from my toes to...uh...just south of MY equator.
    Sorry to hear that. A bad sunburn can surly ruin a vacation.

I would also recommend to wear a hat and sunglasses. Be extra careful during the first three days and still be very careful for the rest of the trip.