Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Holiday Inn Palapa

Aruba since 1979
    mea culpa..........please forgive

i forgot to say
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

Aw...thank you! What a great wealth of info...so much available to learn about!

After the last few days I would strongly suggest people avoid the holiday inn unless your only other choice is the mill. The list of issues is quite long and I would rather focus on enjoying the rest of my trip.

Chadd - please do enjoy the rest of your trip, but I would like to hear your issues when you return and have a chance to share. We have been to HI twice, with some good and some not so good experiences. We are trying to decide if we want to stay there again or put our trip off a while longer to save up for nicer accomadations.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

The free wifi is a nice bonus, but having to log in every 10-20 minutes because of random system drops is really annoying. We do have hot water some days and not on others. Time of day doesn't seem to be a factor, it's completely random. They painted the room next to us this morning, still getting fumes this evening. We're on the second floor in the Bonaire building, lots of noise from the entertainment often well past 10PM. Followed by housekeeping banging on doors early in the morning. Having neighbors slamming doors a dozen times somewhere between 2 and 4 doesn't help much either. While circling the parking lot with my rental on Sunday night, I did get to see half a dozen drug deals in the parking lot. A lot of local kids hanging out with their cars and coolers in the parking lot that night. Our rooms keys also stopped working at one point and took four trips to the lobby to get it fixed. On check in, they never gave us a towel card and they billed us again, despite paying for the hotel before showing up. I love the island but the Holiday Inn has been a fiasco from day one for us. I will never be back here again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    The free wifi is a nice bonus, but having to log in every 10-20 minutes because of random system drops is really annoying. We do have hot water some days and not on others. Time of day doesn't seem to be a factor, it's completely random. They painted the room next to us this morning, still getting fumes this evening. We're on the second floor in the Bonaire building, lots of noise from the entertainment often well past 10PM. Followed by housekeeping banging on doors early in the morning. Having neighbors slamming doors a dozen times somewhere between 2 and 4 doesn't help much either. While circling the parking lot with my rental on Sunday night, I did get to see half a dozen drug deals in the parking lot. A lot of local kids hanging out with their cars and coolers in the parking lot that night. Our rooms keys also stopped working at one point and took four trips to the lobby to get it fixed. On check in, they never gave us a towel card and they billed us again, despite paying for the hotel before showing up. I love the island but the Holiday Inn has been a fiasco from day one for us. I will never be back here again.
    We had the exact same issue with hot water earlier this year.

We never visited the parking lot at HI so I can't speak on that, but this year we were approached by two different individuals asking if we were looking for drugs. Niether occasion was at Holiday Inn, so I'm not sure if this is becoming a Palm Beach issue, or specific locations. One person was rather persistent and asked my husband a few times when he was going from Bugaloe to the restroom. My husband is a friendly guy and didn't want seem rude, but after this guy asking 2 or 3 times and my husband being stern with him saying he wasn't interested, we finally mentioned it to the bartendar, who just laughed it off. On Superbowl Sunday walking from the Hyatt beach party to the restroom, my husband was approached again and came back asking me if he looked like a junkie or something???? Why did people keep asking him, he actually has U.S. military style look, I guess because on both occassions we had been drinking a little more than usual, but still not sure what singled my husband out.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Niether occasion was at Holiday Inn, so I'm not sure if this is becoming a Palm Beach issue, or specific locations. One person was rather persistent and asked my husband a few times when he was going from Bugaloe to the restroom. My husband is a friendly guy and didn't want seem rude, but after this guy asking 2 or 3 times and my husband being stern with him saying he wasn't interested, we finally mentioned it to the bartendar, who just laughed it off. On Superbowl Sunday walking from the Hyatt beach party to the restroom, my husband was approached again and came back asking me if he looked like a junkie or something????
    Were these young punks or older dealers?

Beware of thieves

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    There have been "punks" selling marijuana on the boardwalk [beachside concrete walkway along Palm Beach] since at least 1999. They didn't bother us and we didn't bother them.

The police know they are there as do the Visibility team.

[QUOTE=Arubalisa;221594]Were these young punks or older dealers?

The guy near Bugaloe was probably early 30's, just kind of had a surfer look to him. He asked did we want marijana or yay-o, which we found out was cocaine. I did not see 2nd person, my dh just told me he was asked again. The only thing that bothered me was the 1st guy near Bungaloe near the pier asked repeatedly after we said no. I told my husband not to make eye contact or smile or engage in any type of pleasantries with him, but my husband is the kind of guy that's like aw no man, we are okay, thanks.

How far is this bar/grill from the Radisson? Is it loud at night? I just happened to see it on a map and it looks pretty close to the highrises. I won't have my teens out at night unsupervised, but I was just curious about this bar and the goings on and the proximity. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by suebee329 View Post
    How far is this bar/grill from the Radisson? Is it loud at night? I just happened to see it on a map and it looks pretty close to the highrises. I won't have my teens out at night unsupervised, but I was just curious about this bar and the goings on and the proximity. Thanks.
    It is along the walkway along the high rise area beach, not too far from the Radisson. I want to stress that in no way did we feel threatened or unsafe, not even harrassed like we were in the Bahamas. The guy that I saw and the other one that my dh encountered seemed like they picked people out that gave off a "party" vibe, like I said we had been drinking more than our usual on both occassions. The only thing I didn't like was that he was persistent. That being said, I would be careful leaving teens unsupervised for too long at night in any tourist area, in Aruba or anywhere else for that matter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast