Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Holiday Inn on points

Holiday Inn on points

If anyone books the Holiday Inn Resort in Aruba with points, be advised that the rate is going up 5,000 points per night from 30,000 to 35,000. This will occur on January 15, 2017. Rates will also change at over 650 other IHG properties:

https://www.ihg.com/content/dam/etc/...ghtchanges.pdf

For those who have booked with points, what room type did you end up with?

Walt, if you book before the Jan 15th date do you know if you get the lower rate and/or if the reservation is flexible?

Tracey, we always book with points and because of platinum status have always been upgraded to oceanfront rooms. In Aruba, always use the Platinum check in line and request a room upgrade regardless of what room you reserved in the first place. I always just book a king room. We split up our week last trip there doing three days at the beginning of our trip and four days after two weeks at the Surf Club. Both times I was upgraded to oceanfront. I plan on booking this week and I would assume everything is as before with the exception of the number of points required after the 15th. You can change a reservation at almost any IHG hotel up till 6:00 PM the day of check in, a very liberal policy. I would definitely book before the 15th if you want the savings. If you reschedule, I would imagine the new rsvp would be at the higher point structure. I have canceled reservations before and the points are automatically put back in my account, just as they are taken as soon as placing a reservation. Hope this helps...

Big help, Walt. We have enough points for 3 nights that we plan to do before a timeshare in November but we aren't sure which dates yet. I may go ahead and book now for the savings.

Tracey, I told you wrong. It appears that HI in Aruba has changed their cancellation policy and now you must cancel 48 hours prior for a full refund. Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Tracey, I told you wrong. It appears that HI in Aruba has changed their cancellation policy and now you must cancel 48 hours prior for a full refund. Sorry...
    Still a pretty loose policy but thanks for the update

WaltVB, and any other IHG frequent user - Have you always been upgraded to Oceanfront when using points? How much pleading did you have to do?

I just booked airfare for 9/22 -10/1 which will be 9 nights, and am in the process of booking HI. We're Spire and have enough points for 8 nights. We'll have to pay for one night (and OMG the rate is only $120!!!!!). This time I WANT oceanfront (I've always wanted it, but took what we got). I'm considering booking the first night as the paid night hoping they'd be more likely to upgrade us to an oceanfront on a paid night and not bother to move us the next 8 nights.

Since this is end of Sept, we're hoping they'll have plenty of rooms to upgrade us to.

And on a side note, if I check the room rate for just one night, or a few nights at a time for the week we're going, the rate is $120. However, when I search the entire 9 nights, the rate is $128.

Hoping for a 30th anniversary trip to our favorite place.

I can't speak for Walt and the HI and how they upgrade, but I have found the most/all of the hotels upgrade their top level platinum/Gold Level guests from whatever they book to an oceanfront room as long as its available. They like Walts/others business and want that customer back as often as possible. They figure you probably will drop a lot more money on the property when they take good care of you and the upgrade cost them nothing but the customer loves it. The Ritz typically upgrades me 1 week prior to arriving to the best room that is not a suite and I don't have to ask they just do it. That said if you are traveling during the high season book the room you want so you won't be disappointed. We are going over Xmas this year and I know we won't get an upgraded room so I booked the exact room we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    WaltVB, and any other IHG frequent user - Have you always been upgraded to Oceanfront when using points? How much pleading did you have to do?

I just booked airfare for 9/22 -10/1 which will be 9 nights, and am in the process of booking HI. We're Spire and have enough points for 8 nights. We'll have to pay for one night (and OMG the rate is only $120!!!!!). This time I WANT oceanfront (I've always wanted it, but took what we got). I'm considering booking the first night as the paid night hoping they'd be more likely to upgrade us to an oceanfront on a paid night and not bother to move us the next 8 nights.

Since this is end of Sept, we're hoping they'll have plenty of rooms to upgrade us to.

And on a side note, if I check the room rate for just one night, or a few nights at a time for the week we're going, the rate is $120. However, when I search the entire 9 nights, the rate is $128.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 03-16-2017 at 06:37 PM.

We booked 4 nights on points for this November. We are hoping for an upgrade but willing to accept whatever just to be there on points. We are Platinum and I know they are supposed to provide a complimentary upgrade if it is available. We wanted Ocean Front last year for 2 nights so we bit the bullet and just paid for it, didn't want to take any chances of not getting what we want, and it was only 2 nights so not a big price difference. Spire is higher than that so hopefully you will get the room you want. Be sure to book directly with the hotel website of you want your palapa reserved for you (with your status).

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post

I always book through the website and I always ask for an upgrade when we arrive. You being Spire you will most certainly be upgraded as soon as you step up to the counter. I usually say something like "So, do you have a really nice room for me this time?" There is no pleading or begging or extra points required. They are happy to do it! They may automatically upgrade you, but I always ask. We used to go in September and they always have oceanfront rooms for high status elites. And, they will do everything in their power not to make you move. Don't forget you will have a pre-reserved palapa for your entire stay. Just go to the towel hut the first day/afternoon you get there and pick the one you like best. They have a special section for elites, or you pretty much can pick whichever one you like as long as it's not already taken.The guys in the towel hut will be more than happy to help you. Also, I always just book a king room. Hope this helps, have a great vacation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast