Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: hotel breaks?

hotel breaks?

Hi all,
    it has been brought to my attention on the facebook Divi page that someone posted their have been burglaries at the Divi/tamarin sites. Does anybody know if this is true and whether I should show concern about visiting there. I am flying out tomorrow

We have stayed at the Divi 7 times in the last 4 years and never had a problem. That said I do not know if they have had issues. I do know that a safe is provided in the room and that we have unintentionally left valuables out in the open without any problem.

I have not heard about any problems at the tam or Divi lately. I do know that there has been a rash of home breakins and cars with "V" plates have also been broken into. I will have to ask and see what I can find out. Of course there will be nothing in any of the newspapers about it. . . When you get here, use common sense and lock up all your valuables and also put everything in the trunk of your car when you out to dinner or shopping. Do not take anything of value to the beach if you are going in the water.

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Aruba since 1979
    take the same precautions as you would in any hotel.
    lock the doors. use the room's safe.
    when the housekeeper is cleaning your room, insist that she does not leave the door propped open.
    be careful with the slider and make certain to use the pole thing that they have there for the sliders.
    while on the beach/in the water use something like the "vacation vault" or "pacsafe" to help secure your belongings.

and as tom says re: the car. keep stuff out of site (trunk ) and car locked.

take the same precautions as you would anywhere.

Thankyou all for your replys.

I would like to know if this is true as well. We are staying at the Tam very soon! I am actually contemplating leaving all of my nice jewelry at home and just wearing my old watch and just bringing one pair of earrings, and of course my wedding bands but they won't come off.

I imagine these break-ins are quick crimes of opportunity. So don't leave stuff out and lying around, lock up the good stuff. You have a safe.

I've been guilty of leaving computers and cameras out in the past. They would be easy pickings for a break-in.

Aruba since 1979
    lots of folks, no matter where their travel destination is, do not bring their nice jewelry.
    i always bring what i normally wear every day.......watch, wedding band, engagement ring and anniversary ring and gold hoop or diamond stud earrings.
    when i snorkel, all of the stuff stays in the in room safe.

do what you feel comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by brph26 View Post
    I would like to know if this is true as well. We are staying at the Tam very soon! I am actually contemplating leaving all of my nice jewelry at home and just wearing my old watch and just bringing one pair of earrings, and of course my wedding bands but they won't come off.

Divi Links Break-in/Robbery

There was a break-in at the Divi Links where the unit was entered into while the occupant was sleeping.

Google "robbed Divi links aruba".

I know the person who was robbed. She is reputable, she is a longtime Divi owner vacationing in Aruba 3-4 times a year for a total of 6 weeks a year. This incident frightened her very badly. Can you imagine some stranger coming in and walking around your bedroom?

Yes, her belongings were out in the open in preparation for going to the beach. HOWEVER to have your room entered while you are in it and asleep?????

She went above and beyond trying to get compensation for her lost belongings. Divi basically said, and I saw copies of the communications, "too bad, those are the risks you take".

It took a lot of long consideration for her to go public.

It took security 45 minutes to arrive and the police took over 1.5 hours to arrive. The police told her it happens "often".

We ourselves called security while at the Tamarijn a year ago July for squatters on my grandmother's patio. From my trip report:

A security issue which troubled us were squatters on our patio. The Aloe Man being the exception, NO where else have we stayed in ARUBA where anyone was hawking services on the beach, never mind using our chaises, etc. One afternoon my dh went to exchange some beach towels. My mother and I were sitting under the shade of our palapa as would my dh upon his return. A hair braider was chatting up business with a couple on the beach who were not wearing all inclusive bracelets, but in my opinion, beside the point anyway. The braider came up and asked my mother if she could use the shade to braid the woman's hair and my mother said, "No, my son-in-law is returning and we won't have the room for 5 people." She went back and forth with my mother, "it would only be for a few minutes" but the braider finally gave up.

Now keep in mind we were at the Tamarijn with my 99 yo grandmother who happened to be in her room which was adjacent to the palapa taking a nap. There was always one person there at the palapa at all times and the slider door was open so we could go in and check on my grandmother when she was napping or resting. The hair braider decided there was just enough shade on my grandmother's patio to take her client there and use the patio and chairs to do the braiding. I got up and walked to the front desk to ask them to call security. Remember the hair braider said it would only be a "few minutes"? When security showed up 40 minutes later, the braider and client were still on the patio. Security asked the braider's client if they were staying at the Tamarijn. They were not. Do you really mean to tell me that if the hair braider's client had been a guest of the Tamarijn that it would have been okay to just use someone/anyone's patio? Maybe it is me and I am looking at this the wrong way, sure palapas are first come, first served, but should strangers be permitted to use just anyone's patio like that?

Should it have taken security 40 minutes to respond?

Our family would have a difficult time in ever going back to any of the Divi properties. We were even told that the highly promoted shuttle service which is listed as an amenity is a "privilege" and not a "right". This is just one example besides what happened to my friend, that the attitude among management and staff has become nonchalant and indifferent. Yes, there are some good long time devoted employees and they are not to be overlooked, but after 5 visits or a first visit you should at least feel secure.

Forum member ArubaAmy recently detailed here in the forum about her rental car being broken into at the Amsterdam Manor a few years back. Security at the Amsterdam Manor was on scene so quickly the thieves didn't have time to hot wire the ignition. And THAT was a car not a hotel room. Shame on Divi for taking so long to respond to such a serious issue which could have been life threatening.

I see now there is a first hand report of another robbery at the Divi Village. Also it did not happen first hand to the person posting it, however they state there was a robbery at the Tamarijn last week as well.

Again I would have a better feeling about all of this if management got their act together, but when I saw their attitude in their communications it is just wrong. They just do not care and hide behind their lawyers who say they are not liable.

Fix the problem and show people that you give a darn instead of looking the other way.

Show repeat guests as much love as you do the newcomers. It is less expensive to retain loyal followers than go out and get new ones.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-29-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast