Like Tree4Likes

Thread: hotel breaks?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Sorry this happened to your friend.

Here is a very similar experience what happened in 2012:

“love the divi aruba but recent trip we were robbed while sleeping”
    Reviewed July 17, 2012
    We love the divi aruba and have been there 6 times. But on our recent trip May 2012 we were robbed while sleeping in our room at 5:15 am on the morning that we were leaving and had to check out. My wife woke to find somebody standing at the end of the bed grabbing our stuff. The room was a casita beach side unit # 365. Now seems may have been an inside job. We have done some reserch and have found that this is a problem that has been happening for years. Actually the first event we read about was in the exact same room #365 behind the sandpiper bar five years before in 2007. They have a problem with being able to secure the slider doors even with the slider locked and with the security bar inplace that only holds one side. the bar goes from the wall across a fixed panel and goes up against the door leaving the fixed panel unprotected. The theives pry this panel open from outside on the patio and come in thru the open panel with the door still locked and the security bar still in place. Very scary. They seem to know exactly where the items they wanted were located as if maybe house keeping tipped them off as to where they item were in the room. They quickly went to certain spots and took a kindle, ipod touch a small bag of jewelry and across the room to a pair of shorts with a smart phone and a new pair of nike sneakers as my wife yelled at them and they ran out the door. Never checking the other cloths pockets or drawers or anything. like I said like they new where items were. If you reserch you will find this has happened many many times. The night before this happened to us we saw security 2 rooms over looking at the door in the room and we later found that that room was robbed as well. There have aslso been cases at the tamarijn as well and they still have not done anything about these issues with the doors. staff and management are difficult to talk to at the resort to try to resolve any issues when it happens. Just beware this is becoming a big problem
    Room Tip: not on ground level

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...tad_Aruba.html

Quote Originally Posted by brph26 View Post
    I would like to know if this is true as well. We are staying at the Tam very soon! I am actually contemplating leaving all of my nice jewelry at home and just wearing my old watch and just bringing one pair of earrings, and of course my wedding bands but they won't come off.
    Remember, you are coming to a beach resort island. If you are going to be at the beach most of the time, no need for good, fancy jewelry unless you want to lose it in the sand. No place here is really a dress up place so no need for good jewelry either. Leave it at home and come enjoy our island. Whatever you do bring, be sure to use the room safe to lock it up, passports and drivers licenses too. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

we own at Divi so have been going there for many years and have never had a problem. That being said I would recommend doing as everyone else said and use your common sense....We put everything of value in the safe and so do not usually worry about anything. I quit bringing good jewelry to the island long ago. Not because I was worried about it being stolen but rather I don' really get all that dressed up to go out, so costume works just as well and I don't have to worry about it.
    Have fun, use your best judgement and you will have a wonderful and safe vacation !!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

The person who I referred to in the post had the following stolen, none of which was jewelry.

Laptop, iPad, 3 Kindles, Bose Noise Canceling Headphones, Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones, Setar Router

Whether jewelry or anything else, is it only reasonable to expect some sort of security within a hotel room? Our family never locks up our electronics when in the room, nevermind when we are sleeping and expect there to be NO ONE in the room but ourselves.

My friend was in the room sleeping.

Has it come down to stuffing as much as you can into your room safe even when you are in the room and hoping for the best and thinking oh it will happen to someone else? The woman had tried but the safe was too small.

I think the important thing here is that the woman was in her room with all of the doors locked and Divi and the police were like, "oh well", they don't have insurance for these types of incidents because it is too expensive and that is just the way it goes. Divi would not even phone the Apple store to see if they would help locate the iPad. Talk about not going out of your way?

Not to mention she was scared the rest of her stay.

You can say to yourself, it will never happen to me, but then someone who has vacationed at the same resort 20 times has it happen to her.

Maybe it is just our family, but do others on the forum lock up all their electronics in their in-room safe overnight in case someone breaks into your room while you are sleeping?
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-30-2013 at 10:28 AM.

My husband and I are coming back to Aruba in a few weeks for our 4th year in a row. Have always stayed at the renaissance, ocean suites through a time share from his aunt. Loved it there but want to try something different, so we booked the Divi Aruba on our own. Just a little nervous now seeing some of the posts, but being an seasoned traveler to the islands, I would have to agree on keeping things locked up and going with little to no valuables. What makes me nervous is the fact that someone could actually come into your room through a supposedly locked door with a bar. Glad to see some of the advise given. Will take extra caution when going there. Soooooooo looking forward to it. Just LOVE this ISLAND!!!

Aruba since 1979
    other than taking the appropriate precautions there is not much one can do ?
    in all of our aruba travels we have had no issues......like the thousands/millions (?).
    to the best of my knowledge, arubalisa and family have had no issues either?

again, important to be proactive and to lock up.

welcome to the aruba.com community forum and enjoy your stay in aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by lhansler View Post
    My husband and I are coming back to Aruba in a few weeks for our 4th year in a row. Have always stayed at the renaissance, ocean suites through a time share from his aunt. Loved it there but want to try something different, so we booked the Divi Aruba on our own. Just a little nervous now seeing some of the posts, but being an seasoned traveler to the islands, I would have to agree on keeping things locked up and going with little to no valuables. What makes me nervous is the fact that someone could actually come into your room through a supposedly locked door with a bar. Glad to see some of the advise given. Will take extra caution when going there. Soooooooo looking forward to it. Just LOVE this ISLAND!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    to the best of my knowledge, arubalisa and family have had no issues either?

again, important to be proactive and to lock up.
    No, we have not.

Though what is important to us, maybe not valuable to others, I will forgo the jewelry. However, we like to relax on vacation so read our kindles and take photos for the memories. Like I said, the laptop is work dh's job with proprietary software so just cannot use a public computer. Otherwise, may as well stay home.

Will take suggestions on how to lock up 3 kindles, a dslr camera, a laptop (required for work), and 5 other less expensive electronics while we are in our hotel room sleeping.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-30-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    lisa does your "pacsafe" hold those items?
    if so, would there be something in the hotel room that the "pacsafe" can attach/lock too?

we have brand X like poolbag made from canvas and light wire mesh.
    we use it on cruises.
    it is not unlike your pacsafe.
    on our last cruise we were able to fit in the brand X pacsafe:
    2 ipads
    1 macbook laptop
    2 iphones
    1 slr camera (a friends)
    1 toshiba laptop (friends)

we used the cable and lock to secure the fake pacsafe to the desk/chest of drawers in the cabin (which is an attached piece of furniture that cannot be moved)

the room safe on the ship was small....comparable to Tam/Divi/Lacabana.
    that safe held my purse, and our $ and passports and other small items.
    when we stay at the renaissance ocean suites, when not being used, the ipads, camera, laptop, etc stay locked in the room safe, even if we are in the room.
    renaissance room safes are large. (about the size of a breadbox ...who remembers what a bread box looks like? )

it would be beneficial to all, to ask your resort the safe dimensions.

also....i contacted lisa @ divi/tam and asked her to comment or ask one of the management employees to comment on the situation of that room break and the post on that other site (tripadvisor) which was made almost 16 mos ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    No, we have not.

Though what is important to us, maybe not valuable to others, I will forgo the jewelry. However, we like to relax on vacation so read our kindles and take photos for the memories. Like I said, the laptop is work dh's job with proprietary software so just cannot use a public computer. Otherwise, may as well stay home.

Will take suggestions on how to lock up 3 kindles, a dslr camera, a laptop (required for work), and 5 other less expensive electronics while we are in our hotel room sleeping.

Pacsafe it is

My friend's robbery occurred on March 18, 2013 and she waited to go public about it until May 4, hoping that the issue would be resolved to her satisfaction privately. If it had been there would have been no mention of it on the internet.

I will be interested to see if management responds. Some folks had contacted me privately after my last Tamarijn trip review hoping that security at the Tamarijn would be looked into in that it took them 40 minutes to respond to squatters on our family's patio. Never happened but then again, I did not think they would.

Aruba since 1979
    my impression after reading your trip report, was that the TAM did not seem to care there were "squatters" on your patio.
    i am not far off the mark right?

the incident that i was referring to was the one that CK linked in her post.

glad that you will have the use of the pacsafe.

maybe you can ask ~amy~ just how large the in room safes are at Amsterdam Manor or drop AM an note asking the dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Pacsafe it is

My friend's robbery occurred on March 18, 2013 and she waited to go public about it until May 4, hoping that the issue would be resolved to her satisfaction privately. If it had been there would have been no mention of it on the internet.

I will be interested to see if management responds. Some folks had contacted me privately after my last Tamarijn trip review hoping that security at the Tamarijn would be looked into in that it took them 40 minutes to respond to squatters on our family's patio. Never happened but then again, I did not think they would.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast