Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: hotel breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    maybe you can ask ~amy~ just how large the in room safes are at Amsterdam Manor or drop AM an note asking the dimensions?
    Amsterdam Manor has the standard size in room safe. hotel breaks?-closet-w-safe-iron-board.jpg Being in a two bedroom unit we will have 2 safes.

Their safes are smaller than the Radisson's which fit our laptop with room to spare

and larger than the Tamarijn/Divi's. The interior space on these safes in much smaller than "standard" hotel in-room safes. Probably has something to do with the age.
    LOL, my dad wore his safe key around his neck.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I don't know too much about computer but this seems to be some good advice:

Don't fall victim to laptop theft!

Don't Be an Easy Target.
    Does this scenario seem like it could happen to you?
    "The other day I was running through the airport, late as usual, cell phone in hand and laptop in tow. I’m protective of my gear but not protective enough, as I let my guard down for just a minute and that’s all he needed. I was focused on a whole slew of things: missing my flight, reserving a car, preparing for my meeting; and the thief was only focused on one; stealing my laptop.
    Studies show that between 40 and 50% of data breaches in the US are caused by lost or stolen laptops, and I’m sure the half a million people whose laptops vanished in airports last year can attest to that.
    Thieves don’t have schedules, meetings, bosses, or rules to follow like you and I do. They only have two things to focus on: prey on the easiest target and don’t steal what can’t be sold.
    If you don’t want your data compromised, don’t be an easy target.
    If you were to ask me 5 tips to protect again laptop theft, here's what I would tell you: (This is my honest opinion, and you wouldn’t sue me for giving free advice, would you?):
    WATCH IT
    I’m sure you’re aware that the best way to keep your laptop in your hands is to, well, keep it in your hands. There is no better security than a watchful eye; and since you can’t stroll into an airport with a junk yard pit bull at your side (not all people are animal lovers like myself), you have to be the watch dog. Be aware of your belongings, and you’ll be much less likely to lose them.
    LOCK IT
    Get a laptop security cable to secure your laptop when you’re using it in a crowded area. The amount of laptops that have been stolen right out from under the owner’s nose is enough to make a grown man wince. Using a computer lock is an easy and cost effective way to deter opportunity theft, allowing your mind to fully focus on the task at hand. Like singing in the shower, you’ll find it strangely liberating.
    LABEL IT
    Applying a deterrent label to your laptop is another easy and cost effective way to show thieves that you’re not an easy target. To a thief, the phrase “Tracking and Recovery Protection” reads the same as “You Can’t Sell Me, neiner neiner neiner”. And thieves, tempting as it may be for them, won’t steal what they can’t sell.
    TRACK IT
    Even the most vigilant security sometimes gets compromised. Laptop Tracking and Recovery Software has come a long way in recent years. This software allows you to GEO-locate your stolen laptop, remotely delete files, retrieve important files and track the thief down!
    ENCRYPT IT
    Most thieves don’t like doing a lot of work, hence their chosen profession. If, unfortunately, your laptop does fall into the wrong hands despite your forethought, no one will be able to access your precious information. Encrypting your laptop tells a thief that you worked hard to protect your data, and he will have to work really REALLY hard to access it. He’ll ditch your laptop, leaving your data untouched, and move on in search of the poor sap who didn’t take the same precautions as you did. Hopefully your friends are reading this too, and they don’t end up being those poor saps. (Forward them a link to this article, and help ‘em out!)
    Many things are better in layers: Lasagna, parfait, chocolate fudge cake… and security. You wouldn’t just eat the cherry off the top of the sundae and ignore the rest (I know I wouldn’t). So don’t take just one approach to laptop security and think you’re in the clear. A layered approach is the best approach.
    Call us at (800) 466-7636 for all of your laptop security needs. With 25 years in the industry, we’d be more than happy to share our knowledge with you.

Author - Dan Hughes 2008
    Computer Security Products, Inc.
    All Rights Reserved

http://www.computersecurity.com/whit...ing-stolen.htm

CK1
    How to Protect Your Laptop from Theft

• Use your laptop’s universal security slot (USS). Your laptop should have a hole or slot into which you can connect a security cable.

Any cable or security device threaded through the USS cannot be removed from the laptop; only the cable itself can be cut (or unlocked) to free the laptop.

More info at link:
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...rom-theft.html

#5. Safety and Security Features

As far as security on the software side is concerned most of the companies provide a trial version of antivirus, but it’s always good to keep an updated antivirus to protect you from unnecessary problems.For data security look if your deal includes online backup storage if yes then grab it.
    And sadly enough Laptop thefts in hostels and colleges is quite a common thing so you must consider to get yourself Universal Security Slot (USS), which takes a cable lock most laptops in the market come with these.Just get a cable lock (these are cheap around Rs 150) and lock your Laptop.

http://techzil.com/laptop-buying-gui...lege-students/

CK1
    This is a neat story! I don't know how many laptops are actually equipped with a GPS device:

Raleigh man uses GPS tracker to locate man who stole his laptop

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/...racker-to.html

Aruba since 1979
    the last 3 posts from CK1 22-24, i have copied and have placed in another category and thread.
    here is the link.... http://www.aruba.com/forum/f35/locki...l-hotel-40308/

i have received a few private messages over the last few days, since this particular thread was created.
    the messages were from aruba newbies and one that is relatively new (been there once).
    these folks are concerned that there is crime and they may fall victim.

i have reiterated to them that as far as Aruba is concerned, it is pretty safe.
    many of us visit aruba solely for that reason of safety and comfort.
    now, there are instances where folks have been broken into, or in lisa's case, squatters had infiltrated her grandmother's patio and security was very slow in responding.
    do the hotels know how to react appropriately? i am not sure.
    are the police reacting appropriately? yes.
    with all that stuff being said........aruba receives hundreds of thousands of visitors a year from many areas of the world, almost all without incident.
    is it utopia ?........sadly no.
    is it as close to utopia as we may every see? .....maybe.

bad stuff happens everywhere to anybody.

with the amount of folks visiting aruba day in and day out, the crime relating to tourists is very low in comparison to other places.
    is it non existent? nope. it never will be.
    but we as tourists/visitors need to take every precaution re: our stuff and ourselves.
    use locks. keep things in your car rental out of site. keep your car windows closed and doors locked. park in well lit areas.
    keep your hotel door(s) locked. use the dead bolt and safety chain/bar on sliders. use your room safe religiously.

as aruba continues to grow and to entertain guests from all over the world, the crime issue will always be addressed and worked on proactively.
    know that the aruba tourism authority prides itself/country with being known as a safe, friendly, hospitable destination.
    safety, friendly, weather are the marketing tools! those 3 things set aruba above other caribbean island destinations.
    i think aruba does darn well..........with 100,000 residents and with at any given time maybe 20,000 tourists (that is a guess) i would say aruba's safety is good. is there room for improvement......??? YES!

I was the one who had our room broken into at the Links on Aruban Flag Day! Instead of being out celebrating the holiday, they were breaking into my room with me in it. I will gladly answer any questions about the robbery. I was blocked out/forgot password of this BB and others as I had not used them in a long time. I use TripAdvisor as my normal BB.
    I had put too many things into the safe and therefore a maintenance man had to come in. Maintenance was also needed another time for some other thing, I forget. It is our belief that he and/or his friends were the robbers. It should also be noted that whenever charging something, or AI at the Links, Village, or Dutch Village, you have to give your room number, so in all honesty, anyone can hear the room you are in and if they see you with high end merchandise they know it's in your room. On the beach or by the pool, everyone can see what you have if you're using it. The safes at the Links will not hold a laptop computer and the iPad would not fit either. As I said, we had to pull things out of the safe and obviously money, passports, and credit cards are top priority for the safe, I do not have, or care to have expensive jewelry. The only things that fit into the safe are two wallets, passports, plane information.
    What it boils down to is that when in the room, you should not have to have anything locked.
    At the Divi AI I have seen security walk by all the sliding doors to make sure that are locked, if not, they lock them.
    The Divi time shares need to build a wall so everyone has to show ID to get into the area, and there is only one way to get in. Anyone can just walk into the room areas. No rooms are secure.
    Aruba government and police need to realize the island is not as safe as it used to be. The police are comparable to Barney Fife, and I am not kidding, ask anyone who has had to deal with them. They were of no help, even with visible shoe prints from them climbing over the deck railing. It is very sad, and to think, I always stuck up for the government and police when others had problems, I will no longer do this. Live and Learn.
    If I had my way I would never go to Aruba again. We had already had trips scheduled for October 25 - November 11 and December 25 - January 9. We always go in March, but I did not book it. Since I book all our vacations, I can easily skip Aruba, which I did for March. Our new destination will be Cancun Mexico are, it's more expensive, but the staff are food we have had there is great. So after January 9th, if I have my way, there will be no more Aruba in our future.

Aruba since 1979
    your situation with divi links certainly was/is a situation that one should not have to live thru.

as i told you in a private message that i wrote back in may 2013, i welcomed your posting here and had hoped that the ATA might be able to look into the situation as well.

i have forwarded this along to my contact person at the ata office.

you have 2 upcoming trips to aruba.
    i certainly hope that aruba can redeem itself...after all you loved aruba once before.

will you be staying at a divi property in october and december?

We have the Divi Village and Links booked at this time. I really do not want to stay there, and have been looking for elsewhere to stay but they are a lot more expensive. For New Year's friends will be at the Links too. We will never take a 1st floor room again (we were supposed to be on a 2 floor building with a 2nd floor unit with the hot tub, paid for it, but did not get it ---- mentioned to front desk, supervisor at front desk and time share people and everyone was clueless). I know I will be investing in a backpack and will be carrying everything I have of value with me everywhere. I know it will be a hassle, but the safes are too small to put everything. Funny, they did not take my 2 cheap cell phones we use in Aruba. Glad our iPhones were in the safe, forgot to put that as items in the safe on the first post. Maybe if we leave our home phones at home, we can get more into the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

Maybe it is just our family, but do others on the forum lock up all their electronics in their in-room safe overnight in case someone breaks into your room while you are sleeping?
    ArubaLisa,
    We do not lock up anything when we are in the room......pretty brazen....I'm afraid of what Dh would do if he found someone in our room in the middle of the night.....Not to mention what I would do in the morning at the office !!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Amsterdam Manor has the standard size in room safe. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closet-w-safe-iron-board.jpg 
Views:	1445 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	2670 Being in a two bedroom unit we will have 2 safes.

Their safes are smaller than the Radisson's which fit our laptop with room to spare

and larger than the Tamarijn/Divi's. The interior space on these safes in much smaller than "standard" hotel in-room safes. Probably has something to do with the age.
    LOL, my dad wore his safe key around his neck.

ArubaLisa,
    I have been taking my Xoom (Verizon's initial version of a tablet) to Aruba since I go it a few years ago and have had no trouble putting it in the safe's at Divi Village. I know they are small, but everything I bring as well as my company can fit into them. That being said, we don't bring laptops (for me it is too much of a pain to carry to bother with on vacation) and I never bring anything but costume jewelry (and half the time not even that)....I go to Aruba to lounge in the beach and pool all day and when we go out to dinner I never get all dressed up...shorts and a teeshirt.
    I imagine that is why I never seem to have an issue.......although I feel terrible for the folks that have had things stolen.......My advice...unless absolutely necessary leave it at home !!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast