Aruba Beach
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Aruba4ever
  • 1 Post By Aruba4ever
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By Aruba4ever

Thread: Hotel change

Hotel change

I have been going back and forth for the past week about my reservations this summer at the Divi Phoenix. While I was very excited to start, I was actually starting to dread all of the changes in my travel behavior, lol. So today I canceled my trip for free, thanks Divi! I booked an ocean front sunset studio suite at the Hyatt for just a little more per night with their current sale. In the end I decided trying two new places back to back with the family was more stressful than I wanted my vacation planning to be, we are doing LaCabana in February for the first time. We always enjoyed the Hyatt but hated the fact most of their rooms lack a full balcony- this one not only has a full balcony but its a double one.

I am looking forward to February and hope to really enjoy LaCabana and have that be an alternative for Xmas/NYE when the hotel rates for the Hyatt, Ritz etc....are out of this world.

Aruba since 1979
    you had a reservation at the divi phoenix right?
    i think that you would have loved the phoenix.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 12-21-2016 at 08:21 PM.

We did have reservations at the Divi Phoenix at first but changed it today. My main reason for switching is I am scared to do two family trips in a row that are "different" than all of our previous ones. The total cost of the Divi Phoenix was just a few hundred less than the Hyatts special they are currently running. Had they been running this special when I was looking I would have selected this one to begin with. I like the location of the Hyatt much better so we decided to swap our trips out. The Hyatts room is a bit bigger which somewhat offsets the lack of a true bedroom for us. Another benefit is we now only have to take a cab to dinner when we go to the Ritz and we can walk everywhere else. I really hate putting my son in a cab in Aruba, or anywhere for that matter.

In the end I am a true creature of habit. If money was no object I would stay at the Ritz in the 1BR suite again but that is not happening, so I am looking for the closest compromise I can get without going broke each trip. I am hoping the studio suite at the Hyatt does the trick and I think it will.

Going to LaCabana in Feb is out of my normal Aruba routine but I think its going to work out well- just more road trips to dinner than I would love but I can't beat the cost, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    you had a reservation at the divi phoenix right?
    what made you switch ?

Aruba since 1979
    many of us too are creatures of habit.
    i personally HATE stepping outside of my comfort range.

glad that you were able to get a good rate at the hyatt.

the hyatt is a magnificent property!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    In the end I am a true creature of habit.
    Same. And that is one of the big things that keeps me from staying at other resorts - even though I really want to and my purpose in life is to stay at every resort, hotel, apartment complex on Aruba!

We are so comfortable at LaCabana and my kids are so comfortable there and know the staff (and vice versa). I really loved the spacious room at Tropicana and was recently offered a 2BR 2BA for a good price but turned it down because my boys were really against it, even though they love the pool slide.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

One of the best things about knowing that we are going back to Aruba was that we agreed to take a look around at a few places before committing to stay for a week. For anyone considering making a change, I recommend taking that time out to really walk round the new resort and the surrounding area to get a feel for what you like. Sure reviews and opinions help a lot,but there is nothing like seeing a place with your own eyes to help make a decision.

Jay, I think as your son gets older you may find timeshares work out better than hotel rooms. I'm glad you got a full balcony, that is one thing that is a must for us, and to me the only negative about some of the Hyatt rooms. Will you pay online and reserve your palapa in advance?

I will probably reserve a palapa in advance and pay for it. I am not the type of person to wait in lines to sign up the day before nor do I get up early in the morning to put my things out. They do have an online system that you can use the day before at 4pm but I may still pay the fee so I dont need to think about it. That said, when we were there last NYE we were able to get a spot by the pool most days with some shade.

Tracey, I think you are right about needing the extra space the timeshare will offer. I am hoping to look at the Playa again and potentially lock up a 2BR in 2018 but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    One of the best things about knowing that we are going back to Aruba was that we agreed to take a look around at a few places before committing to stay for a week. For anyone considering making a change, I recommend taking that time out to really walk round the new resort and the surrounding area to get a feel for what you like. Sure reviews and opinions help a lot,but there is nothing like seeing a place with your own eyes to help make a decision.

Jay, I think as your son gets older you may find timeshares work out better than hotel rooms. I'm glad you got a full balcony, that is one thing that is a must for us, and to me the only negative about some of the Hyatt rooms. Will you pay online and reserve your palapa in advance?

I'm with you on the pay to reserve thing.

Aruba since 1979
    i never thought that i would be interested in paying for shade on the beach.
    that being said, our most recent trip we were staying 10 nights at the Trop and 4 nights Lacabana.
    during our first week, we had some errands downtown in the morning, so decided that we would reserve and pay for lounges/shade at Reflexions Beach Club (Surfside beach). it worked out very well and we really enjoyed that beach. we were there that first week on Wed, Thurs, and Sun. during our 2nd week, we were there on Tues and Wed.

i was always one that took offense to "paying".
    however, this past trip it suited our needs.

so the hyatt plan of reserving online will be great for Jay and family.