Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Info on Occidental

My fiance and another couple stayed there in October - they didn't have much luck with their room (had moisture on the walls everytime they came "home", they had the issue fixed) but our room was perfect. Second year staying there and will stay there again on our next trip. Everyone is great/friendly there.

Baby beach, Spanish Lagoon for snorkeling, El Gaucho, Garufa's, Sean Jewelers, the north side
    My husband and I just got back from our second visit there and had no complaints either time. The staff here is terrific and our rooms both times were clean. We've eaten at every restaurant except the Mexican and have had good experiences at all of them.

We were in Aruba in January and stayed at the Occidental Grand for our wedding 22 of us went and no one had a complaint. Food was great, staff was wonderful and very accomadating, hotel is nice & clean beach is close and not usually overcrowded and the pool was clean and warm and in the sun all day.

Question snorkeling

My husband and I are going to the Occidental Grand April 21. Does anyone know how the snorkeling is there? Do they take you out on a boat? Can you snorkel from shore? Trying to decide if I should take my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi G View Post
    My husband and I are going to the Occidental Grand April 21. Does anyone know how the snorkeling is there? Do they take you out on a boat? Can you snorkel from shore? Trying to decide if I should take my gear.
    There is nothing to see in the waters off the Occidental. It is just a white sandy bottom. You may see some fish swimming by, but that is just a random thing.

If you have your own snorkelgear, for snorkeling, a short walk south towards the Phoenix Resort, there is a break that goes about 80 yards out into the water. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.5663237&lon=-70.0513762&z=17&l=0&m=a&v=2 The water is very calm there. There is also a little rock island
    click on thumbnail to enlarge

Here you should be able to find some fish, octopus, etc. There is a little Polis (Police) substation right there on the beach (point of reference- between the Westin and Phoenix). This is a perfect spot on Palm Beach if you just want to do some snorkeling on your own for free

Unfortunately the sand here is loaded with tiny coral pieces and rocks, but there is free shade
    click on thumbnail to enlarge

No chaises though nor much else close by. See the bottom half of the page
    http://www.arubabound.com/photos/plmbch/pbch3.htm

IF you choose not to bring your own gear and need to rent snorkel gear, http://www.arubawatersportcenter.com/pricelist_WS.htm the Aruba Watersports Center is right there on Palm Beach. They are located at the northern end of the Radisson's beach.

As to snorkeling from a boat there are plenty of operators offering excursions, to name a few:
    Tranquilo
    Jolly Pirates
    Octopus
    Mi Dushi
    Roberto's Watersports

Larger operators include:
    Red Sail
    De Palm
    Pelican

Hi we are from the UK we will be going to Aruba next month.Could somebody please tell me what electrical plug adapter Aruba uses many thanks

Occidental grand

I have made a reservation at the occidental grand. I have upgraded to the royal club. Has anyone stayed there recently. I have been reading a lot of bad things lately and i am getting nervous. Thanks for any advice. Also what is the weather like in january?

We've been looking at AI places for our 1st Aruba trip and all I can tell you is Trip Advisor reports seem to fairly consitantly rate the food/service as average and almost everyone seems to mention that there is an "issue" w/ getting clean towels at the beach, pool and your room. Looks like a nice place but I'm leary too.

Hey my wife and I are going this weekend, we have heard the same thing about the towels, so we are bringing a couple of our own to use for reserving at pool/beach.
    The majority of the few complaints I'ves seen involve people NOT in the Royal Club (which we are in) and people traveling with young kids. Food reviews are pretty subjective so unless they kill someone with the buffett I am not concerned.
    We are not worried and neither should you, it's Aruba

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast