Aruba Beach
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By charles
  • 1 Post By danadog56

Thread: Just in case I start to forget

  1. #1
    Senior Member charles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Walking the shorelines in the evenings
    Posts
    560

    Just in case I start to forget

    To those that love white sands and have walked the ones in question, I say;

    I still hate the RITZ CARLTON

    It takes up my sons' most favorite beach which is that of many other children.

    They will pretend that the beach is theirs and humiliate any local that gets close to their claimed land. (This age old habit has to stop)

    Based on my research for my new book, they are almost 100% for sure on early graves that would be important to the museum, they know it and do not give a rats' behind.

    Just think - All in the name of progress. (Time to back up and punt)

    I cannot do anything about it but remember to not forget and to say what I just did.

    Be well (Not you Ritz)

    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,884
    you're views re: the ritz are the same views as many.

    last time in aruba, we were just so astounded as to see the immense size of the building.

    before the site construction began, did anyone do any kind of an archaeological study? i am shocked to hear of "early graves" being on that site.



    Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    To those that love white sands and have walked the ones in question, I say;

    I still hate the RITZ CARLTON

    It takes up my sons' most favorite beach which is that of many other children.

    They will pretend that the beach is theirs and humiliate any local that gets close to their claimed land. (This age old habit has to stop)

    Based on my research for my new book, they are almost 100% for sure on early graves that would be important to the museum, they know it and do not give a rats' behind.

    Just think - All in the name of progress. (Time to back up and punt)

    I cannot do anything about it but remember to not forget and to say what I just did.

    Be well (Not you Ritz)

    charles

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    35
    I thought that building any more in the high rise area wasn't going to be allowed. I'm almost positive we were told that during one of our visits.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Sunsette Grille, The Ruins, Wacky Wahoo, Stellaris Casino, The Hyatt, The Radisson, Palm Beach, Eagle Beach, Mi Duishi boat adventure
    Posts
    35
    It is a shame that the locals don't want this "progress" stopped. How do they view all of these buildings? I have noticed changes there through the years and wonder why they continue. I would hope that with all the continued building and people on the island, they will boost some police presence. I have seen activities changing the most beautiful place on earth.

  5. #5
    Senior Member charles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Walking the shorelines in the evenings
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by katb161 View Post
    I thought that building any more in the high rise area wasn't going to be allowed. I'm almost positive we were told that during one of our visits.
    You were (as was the entire island.) and just like you, we are mutually shocked at this eventuality
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

  6. #6
    Senior Member charles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Walking the shorelines in the evenings
    Posts
    560
    It is too late to do anything. It was inked and the fate is without change. Marriott gleams about their omnipresence and runs ads promising to take even more land. The Bushiri hotel school sits in ruins and ...... "It's summertime - and the livin is easy" not a care in the world (it would seem.)

    This small piece of stone will only hold so much humanity. Even an ocean liner has a limit, as does a 747. There are maximum operating limits and - Little humble me - feels we reached it some time ago.

    HOWEVER - can you imagine the impact it has when a non local raises their voice? We - as locals live here, we do not check into timeshares or hotels and add to the burden that exists. HOWEVER - can you imagine what the results would be if the visitor said - " Hey folks - what was pretty just isn't pretty any longer. We are looking at other vacation destinations." or "No - I do not want to buy timeshare. This is not the kind of place I would want to come back to."

    We can close our eyes to our eventuality or we can open our mouths to avoid and change it. And yet, in fear of reprisal, those that speak out have become a very silent minority speaking for the majority.

    That is a ONE + ONE that does not = TWO

    be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

  7. #7
    Senior Member shariuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle Beach
    Posts
    106
    Charles

    I am very sad about the introduction of another extremly large hotel obstructing the beautiful views of Aruba

    Reading your posts has raised some question that you seem like you would know the answer to (if you dont mind?)

    1. Do hotels own the land they build on. e.g does Marriott now own the land it is building the Ritz on? Is the land leased to the hotel chains, and if so how long for?
    2. When can i read your new book?
    3. If the new hotel is being built on early graves then why is it being allowed? (I understand the government allowed the build as it would have been very expensive to cancel the project, but if there was an archeological matter on this same land surly there are laws/protocols that should have been followed (there is here in the UK)
    4. Where will the fishermans hut be moved to and do you think Marriott will 'extend' the beach - as i keep hearing?

    Sorry for the questions and if anyone else knows the answers please reply. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    To those that love white sands and have walked the ones in question, I say;

    I still hate the RITZ CARLTON

    It takes up my sons' most favorite beach which is that of many other children.

    They will pretend that the beach is theirs and humiliate any local that gets close to their claimed land. (This age old habit has to stop)

    Based on my research for my new book, they are almost 100% for sure on early graves that would be important to the museum, they know it and do not give a rats' behind.

    Just think - All in the name of progress. (Time to back up and punt)

    I cannot do anything about it but remember to not forget and to say what I just did.

    Be well (Not you Ritz)

    charles

  8. #8
    Senior Member danadog56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    everywhere and anywhere
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    It is too late to do anything. It was inked and the fate is without change. Marriott gleams about their omnipresence and runs ads promising to take even more land. The Bushiri hotel school sits in ruins and ...... "It's summertime - and the livin is easy" not a care in the world (it would seem.)

    This small piece of stone will only hold so much humanity. Even an ocean liner has a limit, as does a 747. There are maximum operating limits and - Little humble me - feels we reached it some time ago.

    HOWEVER - can you imagine the impact it has when a non local raises their voice? We - as locals live here, we do not check into timeshares or hotels and add to the burden that exists. HOWEVER - can you imagine what the results would be if the visitor said - " Hey folks - what was pretty just isn't pretty any longer. We are looking at other vacation destinations." or "No - I do not want to buy timeshare. This is not the kind of place I would want to come back to."

    We can close our eyes to our eventuality or we can open our mouths to avoid and change it. And yet, in fear of reprisal, those that speak out have become a very silent minority speaking for the majority.

    That is a ONE + ONE that does not = TWO

    be well
    charles
    Charles,
    As a true lover of your beloved island, I say, Bah-humbug to the Ritz...as I said to the Marriott and as I say to the Riu as well....think it is a big white elephant...(just IMO)
    I feel for the islanders that may have family buried there.....the Ritz should be held accountable (as well as the gov't), but since we know that will not happen we can only watch in horror as the building just gets bigger and bigger.
    AND, I truly understand how you feel as your island becomes more and more "touristy"....Does the money from tourism outweigh the beauty ????
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

  9. #9
    Senior Member WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Scott's Brats, Iguana Joes, Surf Club
    Posts
    2,749
    Charles,
    I, too, live in a resort town. I'm in Virginia Beach, Virginia and have been since I was 12 or so (40+ years now). We had a beautiful little beach town, with cottages and small independent hotels that had been here since the 1920's and before. They were right on the beach, with a wooden boardwalk. We had our tourists of course, mostly from the Northeast as many of those that are visiting your island are. Then someone decided that our little community should become a real honest to God city. Counties were incorporated, and whadaya know, a city was born. With that came others tired of city living and looking for urban sprawl. We grew. It was at this point the developers and big money hotel chains arrived and destroyed our little beach town. Gone were the quaint cottages that had generations of repeat visitors, the mom and pop diners and restaurants, the beauty of unobstructed beach views. Highrise hotels, chain eateries and huge highways appeared. Traffic became clogged with visitors trying to reach an ideal destination for their week or so of break from the rat race. There was rampant mismanagement all over the city, from infrastructure to city policies regarding development. What I'm trying to say is that progress will occur, and not always to our liking. I'm sorry that you feel big business is destroying something you hold so dear. I feel terrible that I purchased a timeshare at one of those mega-hotel complexes (Marriott Surf) that you so despise. But if you will, look at it from my side of the fence. I visited your island with my wife several years ago and we completely fell in love with your island and your people. We decided that indeed Aruba was paradise and I guess we didn't take into account the fact that we were helping to destroy your perception of paradise with our own selfishness. We thought your island was the perfect place to bring our family and friends to enjoy the sun and water and culture Aruba has to offer. I still feel that way, and I probably will for a long time to come. So in closing Charles, I guess I should thank you for reading this and considering an outsiders point of view, but please realize that when you bash the huge hotel and timeshare facilities, that maybe you are bashing those of us that just want you to share a bit of your island with us. Thanks again for your time.
    Sincerely,
    Walt

    PS. I'm not a fan of the Ritz either, but had to get my two cents in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO